Sign in to follow this  
LSUtiger

Starting M. Colston at TE

Well it's week four now and I've been starting Colston at TE since week 2 and he's carried me in a rout and a close victory this week with his 97 yards last night on MNF. But since I play in a league full of Saints homers (including myself), I can't help but feel a bit guilty for starting him at TE in my yahoo league.

A couple of guys have even started to make some sly comments and sarcastic posts implying its unfairness. Now, while his being listed as a TE is incorrect, do any of you Colston owners feel guilty at all about starting him at TE?

I didn't originally but now I'm starting to feel it a bit after some people have complained. My main retort is Chris Cooley was listed as a RB/WR/TE all last year on Yahoo.

Are any of you catching crap for playing him at TE?

I started M. Colston in wk. 1 at TE. Our league uses CBSsportsline and after week one he was changed to WR. But if you didn't take him off TE he wouldnt lose his elgibility. Havnt had any comments but I know they're coming. Feeling a lil guilty.

I do feel Yahoo kinda made a mistake. Heard people call it a "glitch", but you are right it happens every year. But this year, Colston is good! And a good TE, like Gonzo was, has always been a hard thing to find. But am I gonna trade him or bench him? NO WAY!

it's crap if you ask me. he is not a TE and it isn't fair. but that's just me. he's my wr.

p.s., how about those Clemson Tigers? Moving up in that national scene and winning more than 8 games. Keep watching.

Don't feel guilty at all. After all, all those people who have Antonio Gates dont feel guilty for having him as their TE. He is basically a WR who lines up next to the tackles....

Feel no guilt, your smarts/luck is paying off.

umm...........well....................hell, no! No guilt here. Seriously, I wish they WOULD line him up for a few plays a game so that yahoo keeping him at TE NEXT year cuz I have him in a Keeper league.

This is your reward for being 'quick to the wire'. Everyone else had an equal chance, I presume. Classic case of 'you snooze, you lose'. Funny thing is, half of the guys in my league still don't think he's for real.

Oh, well.

Don't feel guilty at all. After all, all those people who have Antonio Gates dont feel guilty for having him as their TE. He is basically a WR who lines up next to the tackles....

Feel no guilt, your smarts/luck is paying off.

whether or not to feel guilty is one thing. but your argument is poor. Gates is a TE, Colston's a WR.

Colston for some reason was TE/WR in a few leagues. I was lucky to have him as a TE in my league and I dont feel guilty. Everyone had a shot to get him and no one did, so I was glad to get him as my TE. Michael Robinson(SF RB) Is listed as a WR in every league but he had 2 rushingtd's last week. If some one scoops him up and plays him at WR and he rushes for 100 yds and 2 td's will people complain? Snooze you LOSE!

He's a WR. Yahoo should change it.

They can't now! I just waived Ben Watson!

Hey, I was brought into this league to be the "Wizard behind the curtain", and if that means pulling a few tricks out of my hat ... that's why I didn't hafta put up any money. I just win baby!

I don't feel so much as a twinge of guilt. It's not that I'm a psychopath. It's just that 2 taters and 200 receiving yards, while welcome production from the TE slot, is not worth going on the cross over.

Now if Colston starts to post Faulk-in-his-heyday type numbers, I'll be wracked with remorse. I won't even feel like I deserve the League title it will bring me. Heh.

I don't feel so much as a twinge of guilt. It's not that I'm a psychopath. It's just that 2 taters and 200 receiving yards, while welcome production from the TE slot, is not worth going on the cross over.

Now if Colston starts to post Faulk-in-his-heyday type numbers, I'll be wracked with remorse. I won't even feel like I deserve the League title it will bring me. Heh.

Berven Two Times ... and we called him Two Times because he used to say things like "I'm gonna go get the papers ... get the papers."

I just felt it was a point worth reiterating.

Actually, I got a message saying that my post was lost and that I should copy and paste the text. The problem was the software, not some neurological dysfunction on my part. on my part. part.

Guilty? Not at all. It is not my fault Yahoo is allowing it...and I am only playing by the rules set up for our league.

Though with Wayne possibly missing time this week and LJ Smith with a nice matchup against GB...and Randy Moss and the Raiders blowing...I may just play Colston at WR this week.

I just felt it was a point worth reiterating.

Actually, I got a message saying that my post was lost and that I should copy and paste the text. The problem was the software, not some neurological dysfunction on my part. on my part. part.

It's funny that you would blame the software because that's what this Colston issue boils down to - the software you use to run your league. Everyone knows the guy is not a TE. He's listed as a WR on the Saints' depth chart on NFL.com.

But the software allows you to play him at TE. What if the software you use for your league had a glitch where if you started a Defense on a bye you got credit for a shutout, would you do it?

Apples to oranges my friend. We are talking about a rookie out of HOFSTRA! 1 guy, and nobody drafted him. I believe Antwan Randle El was listed as a WR/QB as a rookie in my league. I remember when Boldin was a rookie there was a similar question, he was only a WR in my league ... and I played him as a rook.

You never get points for playing anyone on a bye ... but if elligable, in a pinch, you coulda played say Randle El as your QB as a rookie.

If Gonzo and Ben Watson were putting up similar numbers, people would not be so upset either. Even if he's just a WR in your league, he's not on your waiver wire anymore. He's GOOD! Deal with it.

Apples to oranges my friend. We are talking about a rookie out of HOFSTRA! 1 guy, and nobody drafted him. I believe Antwan Randle El was listed as a WR/QB as a rookie in my league. I remember when Boldin was a rookie there was a similar question, he was only a WR in my league ... and I played him as a rook.

You never get points for playing anyone on a bye ... but if elligable, in a pinch, you coulda played say Randle El as your QB as a rookie.

If Gonzo and Ben Watson were putting up similar numbers, people would not be so upset either. Even if he's just a WR in your league, he's not on your waiver wire anymore. He's GOOD! Deal with it.

Of course he's good. We wouldn't be talking about it if he weren't.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is a good WR and some people get to play a good WR in their TE position. If people have him and are playing him as a WR, no problem.

The way I see it anyone could pick him up off the waiver wire and start him at TE. I got him. Anyone else would start him at TE if they had him. I don't feel guilty in the least for taking advantage of it.

I also have Alge Crumpler and at times will probably start Crump at TE and use Colston as a WR, like yesterday.

No guilt here...just further substantiates my genius.

Check this out...

2006 Stats:

Player Team G GS Target Rec Yard TD FFPts FFPts/G

Marques Colston NO 3 2 27 15 204 2 32.4 10.8

Kellen Winslow CLE 3 3 24 19 197 1 25.7 8.6

Desmond Clark CHI 3 3 17 12 193 1 25.3 8.4

L.J. Smith PHI 3 3 22 16 186 1 24.6 8.2

Todd Heap BAL 3 3 28 15 99 2 21.9 7.3

Dallas Clark IND 3 3 14 7 95 2 21.5 7.2

Heath Miller PIT 3 3 10 7 146 1 20.6 6.9

Jeremy Shockey NYG 3 3 16 11 134 1 19.4 6.5

Bo Scaife TEN 3 2 11 7 118 1 17.8 5.9

Chris Baker NYJ 3 3 9 8 54 2 17.4 5.8

Owen Daniels HOU 3 3 10 5 47 2 16.7 5.6

Alge Crumpler ATL 3 3 20 9 98 1 15.8 5.3

Eric Johnson SF 3 1 14 8 89 1 14.9 5.0

Tony Gonzalez KC 2 2 16 12 88 1 14.8 7.4

Ben Watson NE 3 3 23 11 143 0 14.3 4.8

Antonio Gates SD 2 2 10 6 81 1 14.1 7.1

And now that I traded away Antonio Bryant he's my best WR too!

I have him, and picked up robinson this weekend...

do i think its fair no. Do I feel bad, sure... amd I going to take him out?

nope.

:doublethumbsup:

Berven Two Times ... and we called him Two Times because he used to say things like "I'm gonna go get the papers ... get the papers."

:doublethumbsup: Easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this site. Bravo! Bravo! :first:

Yahoo has him listed as TE because NO drafted him as TE. It's that simple. Yahoo won't fix his eligibility until next year, per their policy.

As for feeling guilty. As long as your league commissioner has no problem with it, or there are no rules against it. Play it. Chances are that he was a FA up until week 1 or 2 and was free for the first person to swoop him up. Those who whine because they slept on him can get over it, or try to trade for him. He's fair game.

Yahoo has him listed as TE because NO drafted him as TE. It's that simple. Yahoo won't fix his eligibility until next year, per their policy.

As for feeling guilty. As long as your league commissioner has no problem with it, or there are no rules against it. Play it. Chances are that he was a FA up until week 1 or 2 and was free for the first person to swoop him up. Those who whine because they slept on him can get over it, or try to trade for him. He's fair game.

I agree with your stand on playing him at TE but I don't know where you got the information that the Saints "drafted him as a TE" because that is just plain false.

I agree with your stand on playing him at TE but I don't know where you got the information that the Saints "drafted him as a TE" because that is just plain false.

44 252 New Orleans (Supplemental Compensatory Selection) Colston, Marques TE 6-4 223 Hofstra

7th Round:44th pick

Source: NFL.com

I don't know who could be a more reputable source than the NFL themselves. I think, they just projected Colston to fit better at TE at the time.

Anyone remember Cooley last year? He was classified as a "RB/TE".

I'm not sure if I had a relevant point here but I just felt like saying that.

Thanks, drive through.

robinson is classified as a wr/te on yahoo right now

and im not guilty at all, as a shockey owner, who is on a bye and has been playing subpar

1. Yes, I have Colston on my team.

2. Yes, everyone had a fair shot at him since all undrafted players go in the FA pool and can be picked up at ANY time, ANY day. I added him 3 days after week 1 was over.

3. Yes, I have started him as a TE for the past two weeks and shall continue to do so.

4. No, I don't feel any remorse for cheating and using him as a TE.

5. It seems that this WR/TE issue with Colston is only happening because he is putting up numbers. If he had done poorly in weeks 2 and 3, it is highly unlikely this thread (and many others) would have been started.

Anyone remember Cooley last year? He was classified as a "RB/TE".

I'm not sure if I had a relevant point here but I just felt like saying that.

Thanks, drive through.

I remember that. I played him at RB last year one week to cover a bye. Too bad he sucks this year.

1. Yes, I have Colston on my team.

2. Yes, everyone had a fair shot at him since all undrafted players go in the FA pool and can be picked up at ANY time, ANY day. I added him 3 days after week 1 was over.

3. Yes, I have started him as a TE for the past two weeks and shall continue to do so.

4. No, I don't feel any remorse for cheating and using him as a TE.

5. It seems that this WR/TE issue with Colston is only happening because he is putting up numbers. If he had done poorly in weeks 2 and 3, it is highly unlikely this thread (and many others) would have been started.

Or, like I said. if Gonzo and Ben Watson were putting up 7 catches for 95 yards each week ... nobody would complain. I took a calculated risk by waiting for TE's like Shockey, Gates, Widden, etc. to get drafted while I took ... Tatum Bell. Now since I found an (eligable) TE on the waiver wire I am supposed to do what? I drafted Ben Watson, but he's been waived ... along with Cooley from another team. No TE has really showed up, besides maybe that dude in Pittsburgh, Miller, who's hurt. Colston is my TE. Too late to change it!

The only FAIR thing to do ... is play it out.

So ... STFU. Mkay? What are they gonna do ... tell all the Yahoo leagues they can't start him as a TE anymore? Guess again.

Deal with it, and stop complaining! Happens every year ... but because of lower than expected TE production so far ... this is unfair, this time. Gimme a break!

Yeah, the early bird get's the worm ... but the second mouse get's the cheese. Not fair? So what?

:doublethumbsup:

So basicaly if you have Colston on your team then its fair, dont feel bad, everyone had a shot.

If you dont have colston its unfair, he's a wr, you should feel guilty.

I'm guessing every person in here that said its wrong would not say that if they had him. I have him right now but start him at WR because i have Ben Watson as my TE and i keep waiting for him to break out. All pre-season i heard how he developled a good rapport with brady and he'll be big in the offense. Even more so when they found out branch wasn't going to report. 3 weeks and nothing. I'll be starting Colston at TE after this last week chance for watson.

There is a patriot fan in my league so we've been talkin trade lately but he keeps lowballing me because he knows im gonna put colston at TE sooner or later.

I start him as a TE ... and I said it's a little unfair that you can "start him as a TE" ... but the facts are, I got him off waivers. Someone else could have had him! I got him first. That's how the cookie (and your fantasy season) crumbles! You can bich all you want .... what should the Colston owner do ... only start him as a WR ... just to be fair?

Fock that ... are you playing to win or are you AFP?

It's funny that you would blame the software because that's what this Colston issue boils down to - the software you use to run your league. Everyone knows the guy is not a TE. He's listed as a WR on the Saints' depth chart on NFL.com.

But the software allows you to play him at TE. What if the software you use for your league had a glitch where if you started a Defense on a bye you got credit for a shutout, would you do it?

For my part, I had no idea that Colston wasn't a TE when I drafted him. I needed to draft somebody in a few minutes, I saw that this kid Colston was getting good production and was listed as a WR/TE on Yahoo, so I picked him up and made him my starter. Now I've already configured my lineup around him being my TE the rest of the year, and I learn after the fact that Colston probably won't actually play TE.

No matter if you think it's fair or not, I think it's even more unfair to change his eligibility and hurt teams like mine on a whim.

What criteria does Yahoo use to make their decisions on position eligibility? Enquiring minds want to know.

you should feel guilty!!

But there is the other school of thought that says "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."

Really though, if the people in your league let you get away with starting him as a TE, it is their fault for not doing anything about it.

I

No matter if you think it's fair or not, I think it's even more unfair to change his eligibility and hurt teams like mine on a whim.

I wouldn't call it a whim. If they changed it, it's not like they'd be doing it just for the hell of it. The guy is not a TE after all.

Not in the slightest.

I am in a public Yahoo league. Everyone had equal access to him.

I will continue to use him until Yahoo no longer considers him as a TE, and if/when they do that's fine too.