Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

REAL EAGLES@BUCS THREAD

Forget the one started by that azz clown.

Realistically, I can see the Eagles coming out and putting the smackdown on the Bucs early on. I'm sure they got alot of crap from Big Red about the Saints game and their complete lack of energy.

Dawk and Trotter will not allow that to happen 2 weeks in a row. Besides, I think the Eagles match up well with the Bucs, and will afford Johnson to bring the blitz on their rookie QB. I can see alot of turnovers and short fields for the eagles offense.

The Bucs still have talent at LB, and those guys could neutralize Westbrook. However, McNabb and the rest of the offense is just too much for them to contain.

Eagles 27

Bucs 6

i think this is going to be a tough game with the Eagles pulling out a close one. Tampa's D is still strong, look at how they stopped Palmer and the Bengals, so I don't think the Eagles O will dominate like they have most of the year. I think the Eagles Defense is going to have to win this. They'll have to rattle Gradkowski and force some turnovers. give the O a shorter field, etc.

thanks for starting a real thread, i was avoiding that other mess.

Forget the one started by that azz clown.

Realistically, I can see the Eagles coming out and putting the smackdown on the Bucs early on. I'm sure they got alot of crap from Big Red about the Saints game and their complete lack of energy.

Dawk and Trotter will not allow that to happen 2 weeks in a row. Besides, I think the Eagles match up well with the Bucs, and will afford Johnson to bring the blitz on their rookie QB. I can see alot of turnovers and short fields for the eagles offense.

The Bucs still have talent at LB, and those guys could neutralize Westbrook. However, McNabb and the rest of the offense is just too much for them to contain.

Eagles 27

Bucs 6

Wow. I hope you're right, but I'll be happy if they get out of Tampa with a win.

Tampa's record is very misleading.

Seven more points on the year, and they're 3-2. They've had a hellacious schedule. Baltimore, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orlean, Cincinnati, and now Philly. I think they proved to the Bengals how tough they can be at home.

I'm thinking 23-20, Eagles.

It would be nice to see the D step up for once and at least be the cause of a win. Stop counting on the #1 offense all the time to put up a lot of points. Show us that you can stop somebody once in a while. Might have to do it with Considine instead of Lewis in there.

They certainly shouldn't be fooled by Tampa's horrible record and we'll see if Reid and the leaders can put some spark in the D.

Eagles 24

Tampa 9

Mmmm, I don't know, I think this is gonna be close. Tampa is a different team without Simms, and their a lot better team. They beat the friggin Bengals last week!! Caddy's getting 100yds a game now and Gradowski is getting more comfortable in the offense. The Eagles are still a very good team, but some of their weaknesses were exposed last week like the lack of a true #1 WR and the inability to stop the big play( remember the Giants?). I would venture to say that the philly defense is overhyped. Real Opponents (not san fran, houston) run up the scoreboard on them and every game is a shootout. If they can hold the Bucs to under 10pts they will win, if not, I think they'll lose.

i see a total blowout. one thing the eagles do really, really, really well over the years has been destroying teams whose qb's have little experience, like gradowski. he'll just not ready for all those blitz schemes jom johnson will throw at him.

31-10 eagles :blink:

The Eagles are still a very good team, but some of their weaknesses were exposed last week like the lack of a true #1 WR and the inability to stop the big play( remember the Giants?).

What would you call Reggie Brown's game last week against the Saints?

The offense has been putting up points at will all season long without, as you would put it, a true #1 receiver. :blink:

Gradowski is getting more comfortable in the offense. The Eagles are still a very good team, but some of their weaknesses were exposed last week like the lack of a true #1 WR and the inability to stop the big play( remember the Giants?).

i agree with ghost. i actually prefer this system of WR's they got going right now. all of them are very, very good, and it makes it so much tougher for a defensive coordinator to set a gameplan on who to cover more. so far every week this year (not including the saints game), a different player had the most receiving yards and over 100 yards (except green bay) receiving for the eagles (stallworth week 1, smith week 2, brown, then lewis (only 75 yards, but 2 tds), then baskett, then brown again.

i prefer this so much more then last years strategy of "throw the ball 50% to T.O. so he doesnt cry like a little biatch" strategy. makes it much harder to defend well.

but i agree with you 100% on the defense not being able to stop the big play. its whats killed them all year. the "bend but dont break" philosphy that jim johnson uses has been breaking far too much. honestly, if the eagles did a better job on defense with the homerun plays, they would be undefeated right now (not to take anything away from the saints or giants)

What would you call Reggie Brown's game last week against the Saints?

The offense has been putting up points at will all season long without, as you would put it, a true #1 receiver. :thumbsdown:

I've been a reggie brown fan since last season. He has great hands and playmaking ability. But he doesn't have seperation ability or #1WR speed. he made some big plays, but those were after the orginal play broke down and he came back to the ball and created the play after the catch. A true #1 WR has the ability to create enough seperation to create an opportunity for an over the shoulder catch downfield for 40+ yds. That's why they brought Stallworth in. Baskett is the next best thing because of his speed,but he needs more experience. Greg Lewis is not a #1 of course. Reggies a playmaker while a guy like stallworth is a big play guy. You need both to win games like Chad and Housh, Harrison and Wayne, Fritz and Boldin, even Owens and Glenn. In Philly it's Brown and Stallworth(when he's healthy). Otherwise, you look like Jacksonville, with people just running around saying 'I'm open'.

i agree with ghost. i actually prefer this system of WR's they got going right now. all of them are very, very good, and it makes it so much tougher for a defensive coordinator to set a gameplan on who to cover more. so far every week this year (not including the saints game), a different player had the most receiving yards and over 100 yards (except green bay) receiving for the eagles (stallworth week 1, smith week 2, brown, then lewis (only 75 yards, but 2 tds), then baskett, then brown again.

Besides McNabb being in better shape this season, this reason is why McNabb's been playing out of his mind. This same arrangement is what's made Tom Brady so successful over his career.

McNabb knows the offense better than Reid and Marty. He knows exactly where his receivers will be, and how the playcall matches up against the defense that's in front of him. Give him 3-4 receivers who know what they're doing, and are capable of making the play, and presto, instant offense.

It also helps that he has Westbrook and LJ Smith as options.

If Ryan Moats can get his azz in gear, I would love to see the Eagles split Westbrook out more ala Reggie Bush. I'd even be tempted to put Correll in a one back set, split Westbrook out, and work the offense that way.

What the Philly offense does is neutralize opposing defenses and their safeties. So far this year, opposing safeties have not done anything relevant to the Eagles. In fact, Roy Williams got abused by the Eagles offense in that game, and I expect the same thing to happen to Sean Taylor, who's very talented, but overly aggressive.

McNabb feeds off the over aggressive nature of defenders, mainly because of the weapons he has at his disposal. Longwinded here, but so long as Westbrook and Smith remain healthy and in the starting lineup, McNabb should continue to chew up opposing defenses for the rest of the year, including the month of December. I don't see that changing one bit.

I've been a reggie brown fan since last season. He has great hands and playmaking ability. But he doesn't have seperation ability or #1WR speed. he made some big plays, but those were after the orginal play broke down and he came back to the ball and created the play after the catch. A true #1 WR has the ability to create enough seperation to create an opportunity for an over the shoulder catch downfield for 40+ yds. That's why they brought Stallworth in. Baskett is the next best thing because of his speed,but he needs more experience. Greg Lewis is not a #1 of course. Reggies a playmaker while a guy like stallworth is a big play guy. You need both to win games like Chad and Housh, Fritz and Boldin, even Owens and Glenn. In Philly it's Brown and Stallworth(when he's healthy). Otherwise, you look like Jacksonville, with people just running around saying 'I'm open'.

Why does it matter whether or not they have a #1WR by definition? Their averaging 300 yds. passing a game.

McNabb's doing better this year than he was in 2004, when he had the ultimate #1WR, Terrell Owens. It's much harder to defend a agianst an offense who have three quality receivers, than against a team where the quarterback zeros in on one guy for his first read every play.

IMO, the Iggles offense needs Stallworth this week. As mentioned above, Reggie Brown just doesn't get much seperation, & thus isn't a consistent deep threat. W/ no deep threat (I wouldn't want to count on Hank Baskett), the Bucs' LBs & safetys are athletic enough to contain LJ Smith & Westbrook... Defensively, I think JJ will do what he does: bring the house against a rookie QB. I can see Cadillac having a good game, though, as Philly will rush upfield too much, letting Caddy get to the 2nd level before being touched on several occasions. Philly, will win, I think, but I don't see a blowout happening....Iggles score late to seal the deal.

Philly 27

Bucs 17

I've been a reggie brown fan since last season. He has great hands and playmaking ability. But he doesn't have seperation ability or #1WR speed. he made some big plays, but those were after the orginal play broke down and he came back to the ball and created the play after the catch. A true #1 WR has the ability to create enough seperation to create an opportunity for an over the shoulder catch downfield for 40+ yds. That's why they brought Stallworth in. Baskett is the next best thing because of his speed,but he needs more experience. Greg Lewis is not a #1 of course. Reggies a playmaker while a guy like stallworth is a big play guy. You need both to win games like Chad and Housh, Fritz and Boldin, even Owens and Glenn. In Philly it's Brown and Stallworth(when he's healthy). Otherwise, you look like Jacksonville, with people just running around saying 'I'm open'.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, only because Brown has shown he's capable of breaking off long runs, like last week against New Orleans.

Not every #1 receiver stretches the field vertically. Sure, being able to do so and separate from defenders is definitely needed in the NFL to become an elite WR. However, the guy's in his 2nd year. How many guys have come into the NFL and done what you're asking, really?

Brown fits perfectly into the Eagles offense. He and Stallworth are a perfect complement to each other. And it's really hard to argue that based on how many points this offense is scoring.

It's like winning the lottery for $100 mil, but getting pissed because you have to pay taxes. Really makes no sense, but I guess we can agree to disagree. :thumbsdown:

Don't any of you guys read Easterbrook's column?

Home team wins, 20-17 is most common outcome in football. I predict TB wins this one, 20-17.

Chalk me up as one of those guys who don't have a lot of faith in the Eagles D and think TB's had a much tougher schedule than Philly. I see both of these teams as equal.

I see both of these teams as equal.

you're kidding, right :pointstosky:

these teams are entirely different. one team has no offense, while the other is the best in the league (statistically), and one's defense is weak (eagles), while the other is relatively strong (bucs)

Why does it matter whether or not they have a #1WR by definition? Their averaging 300 yds. passing a game.

McNabb's doing better this year than he was in 2004, when he had the ultimate #1WR, Terrell Owens. It's much harder to defend a agianst an offense who have three quality receivers, than against a team where the quarterback zeros in on one guy for his first read every play.

It matters because without a deep threat WR (whatever you want to number them) you can toss out half the Eagles Playbook.

IMO, the Iggles offense needs Stallworth this week. As mentioned above, Reggie Brown just doesn't get much seperation, & thus isn't a consistent deep threat. W/ no deep threat (I wouldn't want to count on Hank Baskett), the Bucs' LBs & safetys are athletic enough to contain LJ Smith & Westbrook...

R Brown's stats this year:

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 21 412 19.6 60 4

19.6 avg yds/catch = isn't a consistent deep threat????

Don't any of you guys read Easterbrook's column?

Home team wins, 20-17 is most common outcome in football. I predict TB wins this one, 20-17.

Chalk me up as one of those guys who don't have a lot of faith in the Eagles D and think TB's had a much tougher schedule than Philly. I see both of these teams as equal.

Maybe it shows them as having a tougher schedule because they're not a very good team to begin with?

It matters because without a deep threat WR (whatever you want to number them) you can toss out half the Eagles Playbook.

It appears that half the playbook has allowed them to score almost 30 points a game this season.

So by your theory, if they had their full playbook from which to work from, they'd be scoring 60 points a game? :thumbsdown:

It's all about numbers, and here are some quantifyable numbers:

3rd in points at 29.8 per game

1st in total offense, averaging over 400 yards per game from scrimmage

1st in yards per play at 6.6

20 first downs per game

Some numbers I don't like:

3rd down efficiency is 38.9 (middle of the pack)

40 penalties (upper third in NFL)

+4 in turnovers

Avg. TOP is 26:55

Believe it or not, they're middle of the pack in rushing offense.

So what do the number indicate, and what do the Eagles need to do?

1. Cut down on turnovers.

2. Cut down on penalties.

3. Control the ball more.

4. Improve 3rd down efficiency.

The common denominator in these 4 points (or 3 of them at least) is to run the ball a little more. Not Oklahoma during the 80's kinda running, but a little more so they can control the clock a little better.

Cutting down on the penalties should help them convert 3rd downs a little better (it seems they get into alot of 3rd and longs because of penalties).

Simple football: cut down on mistakes, win more ballgames. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, only because Brown has shown he's capable of breaking off long runs, like last week against New Orleans.

Not every #1 receiver stretches the field vertically. Sure, being able to do so and separate from defenders is definitely needed in the NFL to become an elite WR. However, the guy's in his 2nd year. How many guys have come into the NFL and done what you're asking, really?

:thumbsup:

Your correct elite WRs don't come that way right out the box, but speedy recievers, guys that can burn a DB off the line of scrimmage come into the league that way. Troy Williamson and even Hank Baskett (I just wish they could catch too). Of course, we agree to disagree.

Real Opponents (not san fran, houston) run up the scoreboard on them and every game is a shootout.

Maybe our definitions are different, but running up the scoreboard is what Indy was doing a few years ago to hapless teams. Nobody has run up the scoreboard against the Eagles.

Maybe it shows them as having a tougher schedule because they're not a very good team to begin with?

It appears that half the playbook has allowed them to score almost 30 points a game this season.

So by your theory, if they had their full playbook from which to work from, they'd be scoring 60 points a game? :blink:

No. Anyone who follows the Eagles knows that the deep threat is a major part of Andy's offense. It sets up the run and all that good stuff. Why do you think the run game has been so stifled lately? The Saints crowded the line, generated an excellent pass rush, and brought the safetys in to smother westbrook and buckhalter. They had no reason to fear the deep ball at alll. Yes, there offense is magnificent, but that is all Mcnabb performing at an insane level of excellence. It would be unreasonable to expect him to kept that up for the rest of the season and Reid knows it. But I guess we just disagree.

Your correct elite WRs don't come that way right out the box, but speedy recievers, guys that can burn a DB off the line of scrimmage come into the league that way. Troy Williamson and even Hank Baskett (I just wish they could catch too). Of course, we agree to disagree.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Baskett and speedy don't quite go together.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/baskett_hank

Don't get me wrong, I' happy Big Red made the move to get Baskett. However, he's got alot of work ahead of him if he wants to be a legitimate NFL receiver.

No. Anyone who follows the Eagles knows that the deep threat is a major part of Andy's offense. It sets up the run and all that good stuff. Why do you think the run game has been so stifled lately? The Saints crowded the line, generated an excellent pass rush, and brought the safetys in to smother westbrook and buckhalter. They had no reason to fear the deep ball at alll. Yes, there offense is magnificent, but that is all Mcnabb performing at an insane level of excellence. It would be unreasonable to expect him to kept that up for the rest of the season and Reid knows it. But I guess we just disagree.

I've been following the Eagles and Andy Reid for 8 years. Thanks for pointing out to all of us your deep threat theory by this one game. :huh:

Westbrook averaged 4.5 YPC on Sunday. They didn't run the ball because they got behind early, and they don't run the ball.

McNabb threw alot downfield on Sunday. Doesn't help that Baskett developed a case of the dropsies.

Unless your Andy Reid/apart of his family/a philadelphia eagle/a member of the coaching staff/a fly on the wall, how do you know what's going through Reid's head, anyway?

I'm gonna end this discussion because I think you're getting in over your head. Cheers. :blink:

Don't get me wrong, I' happy Big Red made the move to get Baskett. However, he's got alot of work ahead of him if he wants to be a legitimate NFL receiver.

I hope Hank hasn't been reading his draft profile (cause I sure didn't before now). But every time I've seen the ball thrown to him he's had his defender beat downfield. I don't know how he does it or what his speed measurements are, but he's down there and he's got them beat on the same plays that they normally would call for stallworth. Now if he could just catch some of them....

I hope Hank hasn't been reading his draft profile (cause I sure didn't before now). But every time I've seen the ball thrown to him he's had his defender beat downfield. I don't know how he does it or what his speed measurements are, but he's down there and he's got them beat on the same plays that they normally would call for stallworth. Now if he could just catch some of them....

you're kidding, right :P

these teams are entirely different. one team has no offense, while the other is the best in the league (statistically), and one's defense is weak (eagles), while the other is relatively strong (bucs)

Well, I don't mean they have equal offenses and defenses. I mean the teams have an equal chance of winning when they play each other.

Bucs have the better defense for sure. Eagles defense just does not inspire confidence. Hell, they should have lost the game to the Cowboys.

Iggles definitely have a better offense. Top offense statistically for sure, although a lot of those stats came against some shite teams. However, although the Bucs offense looks bad statistically, I think with the new QB and with Caddy getting back on track, their offense could actually click against the Eagles.

Now, with the Bucs playing at home, that shifts the favor to the Bucs for me. If this were at the Linc, I'd give it to the Eagles...maybe.

McNabb threw alot downfield on Sunday. Doesn't help that Baskett developed a case of the dropsies.

Yes he threw a lot downfield. The problem is no one was catching them. Which means there was no threat.

I'm here to talk about football with people who do the same. I'm not into the personal stuff.

:thumbsdown:

Dude, seriously, if you're not Hank Baskett himself, get a grip and trust all us Eagle fans when we tell you he's not fast. He's athletic, has great hops, and a nice long stride, but he's not fast at all.

It was the reason why he didn't get drafted. The Eagles had him on their draft board before the combine, and when a receiver runs a pedestrian time like that, you have to wonder about his speed.

He's still relatively young, and he can improve on it. To say he's fast (relative to other players) is just false.

Yes he threw a lot downfield. The problem is no one was catching them. Which means there was no threat.

I'm here to talk about football with people who do the same. I'm not into the personal stuff.

Throwing downfield is a threat. That's what they mean by stretching the field vertically. The vertical threat keeps the safeties honest, keeps them in a cover two, and hopefully, keeps them away from the LOS.

If you're gonna base your entire opinion on McNabb and the Eagle's offense just on this game, then I think that's a very silly thing to do.

Question: are you an Eagle's fan, and how many games a year do you see, and how long have you been watching/been a fan?

Hey Ktowne Dealers what do you have to say about a 19.6 yd/catch avg WR not been a consistent deep threat???

Don't get me wrong, those aren't numbers to sneeze at, but look at more than just the average yardage. When I think of deep threat I mean guys that if you let them get in front of you there gonna score or be in the red zone. They don't get 40 yards passes thrown at them all game but when they get one it's money. A guy like Stallworth can do that. A guy like baskett can do it, if he catches it. Honestly, Reggie may be as fast as all get out, but they're not assigning him those routes and when I thought he was about to get them, they brought in 'worth.

Don't get me wrong, those aren't numbers to sneeze at, but look at more than just the average yardage. When I think of deep threat I mean guys that if you let them get in front of you there gonna score or be in the red zone. They don't get 40 yards passes thrown at them all game but when they get one it's money. A guy like Stallworth can do that. A guy like baskett can do it, if he catches it. Honestly, Reggie may be as fast as all get out, but they're not assigning him those routes and when I thought he was about to get them, they brought in 'worth.

Hmmm...but just because it doesn't fit your description of a deep threat, you still have to realize that they have a legitimate deep threat even without Stallworth. TO isn't a speed burner either, but he's a deep threat every time he touches the ball.

Criticizing the Eagles WRs or passing game in general right now is a reach and just doesn't make any sense. They're performing fine. I don't what his 40 time is but Reggie Brown didn't look to slow when he scored those 2 TDs last week. The catch he had was all YAC. He caught it, shook the defenders and then no one in the Saints secondary could catch him. His speed is just fine.

What the Eagles need to do, as usual, is establish a better balance in the O with the run. That way you keep the D off the field some and if you get a lead you can grind clock late in the game.

Defensively, the Eagles need to generate a pass rush w/out having to constantly blitz. the D-Line has alot of sacks but last week Brees had waaaay too much time. Gradkowski is a rookie so if they can plant him a few times and force him into hurries they'll be in great shape. Controlling Cadillac and the ground game will be huge toward achieving this. Need to put them in 3rd and longs.

Throwing downfield is a threat. That's what they mean by stretching the field vertically. The vertical threat keeps the safeties honest, keeps them in a cover two, and hopefully, keeps them away from the LOS.

If you're gonna base your entire opinion on McNabb and the Eagle's offense just on this game, then I think that's a very silly thing to do.

Question: are you an Eagle's fan, and how many games a year do you see, and how long have you been watching/been a fan?

I'm not an Eagles fan nor am I an Eagles authority. I just base my opinions on the games I see. What I saw in New Orleans did not look good. The gameplan that they had on offense just didn't work. I'm certain if Baskett would have caught even one of those balls the outcome would have been different. That's not to say there's not enough blame to go around, but it's just my opinion that a deep passing game would give Mcnabb a better chance of executing plays rather than creating them, which he has been forced to do in the past few weeks.

I'm not an Eagles fan nor am I an Eagles authority. I just base my opinions on the games I see. What I saw in New Orleans did not look good. The gameplan that they had on offense just didn't work. I'm certain if Baskett would have caught even one of those balls the outcome would have been different. That's not to say there's not enough blame to go around, but it's just my opinion that a deep passing game would give Mcnabb a better chance of executing plays rather than creating them, which he has been forced to do in the past few weeks.

It's all good. :banana:

Please keep in mind that Reid's version of the WCO isn't predicated on the deep ball. That was an anomoly when TO was here.

The greatness of McNabb is the fact that he rarely turns the ball over, takes what the defense gives him, and now this year, is throwing the ball alot more down the field, and with authority.

Don't let that one game mold your opinion. Please, trust us long suffering Eagle fans. :thumbsup:

What is it that Eagles fans do not recognize? Statistically the best team by playing the Packers, 49ers, and Texans. The Defense of the Eagles is not very good. I am an azzclown for stating facts and pissing off eagles fans which is always fun. Who won the last game ever in Veterans Stadium and who won the first game ever at the Linc? That my friends you will have to live with the rest of your lives. Tampa by 3 this weekend. But I do admire you eagles fans for being totally blind to a cream puff schedule and thinking that they are any good. Your team better win every game for the rest of the year because your gonna get hammered when they lose.

What is it that Eagles fans do not recognize? Statistically the best team by playing the Packers, 49ers, and Texans. The Defense of the Eagles is not very good. I am an azzclown for stating facts and pissing off eagles fans which is always fun. Who won the last game ever in Veterans Stadium and who won the first game ever at the Linc? That my friends you will have to live with the rest of your lives. Tampa by 3 this weekend. But I do admire you eagles fans for being totally blind to a cream puff schedule and thinking that they are any good. Your team better win every game for the rest of the year because your gonna get hammered when they lose.

Getting hammered by you is like getting hammered by Corky. I think we can withstand your lack of wit for the 3-4 games you will have to bug us the rest of the year. LOL...Still waiting for you to back up your tough talk with the $100 bet.

Getting hammered by you is like getting hammered by Corky. I think we can withstand your lack of wit for the 3-4 games you will have to bug us the rest of the year. LOL...Still waiting for you to back up your tough talk with the $100 bet.

3-4 games you must be smoking much crack. Anyways why would I bet when I know I won't get paid.

You've still never told us who your team is, cVntboy. I sure hope they've been more successful than Philly has over the last seven years.

We're waaaaaaiting.

Also, it's "YOU'RE going to get hammered". Not "your". If you're going to try bustin' balls, try not to sound like you're in fourth grade. itsatip

3-4 games you must be smoking much crack. Anyways why would I bet when I know I won't get paid.

3-4 games, you must be smoking a lot of crack. Anyways, why would I bet when I know I won't get paid.

You're welcome.

See, you can come here to learn about football AND you can learn to communicate like an adult. :wacko: I'll be correcting your grammar for one week, free of charge. After that, you'll be receiving a bill.

i see a total blowout. one thing the eagles do really, really, really well over the years has been destroying teams whose qb's have little experience, like gradowski. he'll just not ready for all those blitz schemes jom johnson will throw at him.

31-10 eagles :cheers:

Agree 100%

That's not to say there's not enough blame to go around, but it's just my opinion that a deep passing game would give Mcnabb a better chance of executing plays rather than creating them, which he has been forced to do in the past few weeks.

:wacko: :cry: