Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

Can one person make a difference?

Do you think it is possible for one person to really make a change in today's society? Let's say I had an agenda to introduce a new moderate party into our political system and actually have a chance to get elected and not just steal a couple votes here and there. To really clean up our gov't from all the back scratching and elitism and corruption to make it into what it shoud be.

I'm afraid at this point you would need such a huge financial backing that you would inevitably become what you sought to get rid of and things will never change.

What would it take? The right website? The right media coverage? The right connections? Or do we have to wait until the parties become SO extreme that a moderate independant can waltz in and take over?

I'm afraid at this point you would need such a huge financial backing that you would inevitably become what you sought to get rid of and things will never change.
Agreed

What would it take? Or do we have to wait until the parties become SO extreme that a moderate independant can waltz in and take over?
I'm afraid this is the correct answer.

What would it take? The right website? The right media coverage?

If we're not talking political change?

Lunacy - See Timothy Mcveigh

or

Novelty - see Michael Moore

Call me a dreamer (I know, I know), but I think 1 person can AND WILL. Saw the movie 'Man of the Year'. I didn't find it to be that far fetched either. It will be a while before someone can do this at a national level, but I am sure there are already people at local levels who are accomplishing what you speak of and those people are already making a diffence. If you (or ANYONE) has a plan to start that "legitimate" grass roots movement you have plenty of supporters right here.

Sure, one person can make a difference.

Roger Waters could make a big difference by allowing the release of The Wall concert film.

One person can make a difference. Ross Perot made a difference even though he didn't get elected. He helped shine a light on concerns that a lot of Americans had and woke the parties up to them. A lot of the Republicans' genuine commitment to budget balancing in the early 90's can be attributed to Perot's push. It also helps to be incredibly wealthy so you can finance your own campaign, at least in the early stages, and pretty much do and say whatever you want.

‘Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’

— Margaret Mead

:thumbsup: