Sign in to follow this  
bilively

Ethical dilemma

This week my best friend was away on a fishing trip with no internet and poor cell phone coverage. He set his team before he left. His #1 WR announced late in the week that he was out. I was playing him this week and needed a win to stay atop my division. Oh, and he just lost his job last week. Would you call him and tell him his player was out?

No. I don’t see the “ethical dilemma” here. It’s unfortunate, yes… but this weekend, an owner in my league was on the road with no internet access and he called me before he left and asked me as Commissioner to monitor the injury status of one player. If he was going to play, he wanted him inserted into the lineup. I did and the player was out, so no change was needed.

You have to prepare for times like this. The one piece of advice I would give you is to not tell him anything. It will look like you’re rubbing it in his face.

This week my best friend was away on a fishing trip with no internet and poor cell phone coverage. He set his team before he left. His #1 WR announced late in the week that he was out. I was playing him this week and needed a win to stay atop my division. Oh, and he just lost his job last week. Would you call him and tell him his player was out?

Hard to believe this post isn't a "fishing" expedition, but in case it's not: If you didn't tell him about his receiver, why not just go all the way and seduce his wife and steal his dog (or the converse depending upon can size and which is prettier) and also report him to the IRS as someone who is a likely candidate to be working "off the books". The guy is your "best friend" who's just lost his job, and you're more concerned about your fantasy football standings? Ugh.

I had the same situation two weeks ago. The team owner I was playing (also my cousin) went to Montana to go hunting. He left Tuesday morning and unknowly had Carney on the bye. He has no cell coverage at all. I noticed this and as commish as well I was able to pick up Jason hanson for him and it cost me a win. For me if it was a not a hard choice to make, it SUCKED to get a tie because of it but I would do it again. FF is just a game not worth losing a buddy over. JMO

Of course I would call him and tell him.

No need in kicking dirt on his grave. :banana:

I have mentioned to my opponent that he has an injured player in his lineup. I don't like winning due to a guy having a lineup issue.

I'm the commish of the league, I've gone as far as to changing the lineup of the person playing against me if I know for certain they have a guy out of the game and I can't get in touch with them

I've encouraged people to adjust or change their lineups before, but I'm not their mother and I'm not going to hold their hand through their FF season.

Now if he'd asked you to keep an eye on his team while he was gone and you "accidently" didn't tell him, well then you'd be an evil bastard.

Those sneaky un-annouced bye weeks get me every time!

:P I was thinking the same thing. There's a difference between someone not having access to information and ignoring facts that have been staring him in the face since August.

why not just go all the way and seduce his wife and steal his dog (or the converse depending upon can size and which is prettier) and also report him to the IRS as someone who is a likely candidate to be working "off the books".

:banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbsdown:

I actually did call him and tell him his player was out. I guess it shows how ridiculously competitive I am to even think of not telling him (he is my best friend). I ended up winning anyway, so it worked out fine. Thanks for your replies.