Sign in to follow this  
itsbigmoni

bbq tips?

bleh :banana: get someone else to do the side dishes. while you're grilling, it's best to stay outside and drink a few cold brews with the boys while watching the tv you turned towards the window so you dont miss a play from the sports game you better be watching

Ahh. I see you''re one of those, "The wife lets me pretend to cook. I get to flip the meat!" guys.

Ahh. I see you''re one of those, "The wife lets me pretend to cook. I get to flip the meat!" guys.

no wife.

what part about grilling don't you approve of again?

over-rated :banana:

Over-rated, huh? :banana:

Sux: Hey Big Pete, will you make me a tri tip?

Big: Sure sux, how do you like it? Cause the only way I know how is raw in the middle and burned to a crisp on the outside.

Sux: Uh...nevermind :banana:

no wife.

what part about grilling don't you approve of again?

Grilling is fine.

But if someone else is doing the sides, setting the table, etc. it's like Daddy holding the seat of your bike as you roll down the street.

A real man can do it all.

You guys are too focused on method. It is what you are cooking that matters. If you buy shoe-leather then it does not matter how you cook it or what you marinate it in, it is going to taste like shoe leather.

You can't put perfume on a pig.

Once you have a good piece of meat,

- Make sure that the grill is preheated and HOT.

- Charcoal or propane does not matter. You can achieve great taste with either.

- Don't overcook it. If you like it medium-rare, then pull it off when you think it is rare. If you like it medium, then pull it off when you think it is medium-rare. There is no do-over on overcooked food

- Sear the outside of the meat on both sides to lock in the flavor and juices. I am partial to lines that criss-cross, but I am a presentation type of guy. That is secondary

- Marinades hide flavor and are reserved for crappier pieces of meat. If you have a nice cut of meat, then all you need is some salt (Lawry's seasoned salt if you have it), course ground black pepper, and some garlic.

- If you are having a nice steak on the grill, pair it with a nice glass of Cabernet, some potatoes (garlic mashed are my favorite) and something green (green beans or a salad works). If you are going to spend the time on the meat, you might as well work on the other items as well.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but there is a difference between grilling and BBQ (big difference).

- If you are having a nice steak on the grill, pair it with a nice glass of Cabernet,

Good point. You should also have some Lawernce Welk playing in the background.

Mebbe PBS on the TV, and make sure that you are wearing your sunday's best.

:banana:

Guest Davaco

Mebbe PBS on the TV, and make sure that you are wearing your best HIC tank top

:banana:

fixed

You guys are too focused on method. It is what you are cooking that matters. If you buy shoe-leather then it does not matter how you cook it or what you marinate it in, it is going to taste like shoe leather.

Good point. NY Strip. :banana:

Also meat from a good butcher is better than the supermarket.

fixed

My only HIC tank top. :lol:

I'm gonna go buy a bunch and post pics of me in all the different colors just to piss you off :banana:

Guest Davaco
My only HIC tank top. :lol:

I'm gonna go buy a bunch and post pics of me in all the different colors just to piss you off :banana:

make sure you leave the tags on so you can return them

:first:

Good point. NY Strip. :banana:

Also meat from a good butcher is better than the supermarket.

I'm telling you guys, "Morton's of Omaha" pre-marinated tri tip is incredibly good tasting meat.

Just cause you can buy it at Costco, doesn't mean that it sux. (plus it's very inexpensive)

Over-rated, huh? :banana:

Sux: Hey Big Pete, will you make me a tri tip?

Big: Sure sux, how do you like it? Cause the only way I know how is raw in the middle and burned to a crisp on the outside.

Sux: Uh...nevermind :lol:

not hardly!

you dont need to have it over the hottest part of the grill, but that's still hardly indirect heat!

you want it rare? med/rare? med? I can do it all over the coals

make sure you leave the tags on so you can return them

Fock you guys.... :lol:

I'm gonna go play in my garage :first:

not hardly!

you dont need to have it over the hottest part of the grill, but that's still hardly indirect heat!

you want it rare? med/rare? med? I can do it all over the coals

Let me guess....You teach a class for that too? :banana:

Guest Davaco
Fock you guys.... :banana:

I'm gonna go play in my garage :lol:

I recommend placing your grill right next to the hot tub with three bikini chicks in it.

Also, buy the super-spicy BBQ sauce and jazz it up with some Ex-Lax.

Mebbe PBS on the TV, and make sure that you are wearing your sunday's best.

:wall:

I am sure that you favor a nice Natty Light, but I think that you would do better if you paired that steak that you spent quite a bit of time preparing with horse p!ss. If you don't appreciate a nice wine, then you might as well just cook a flank steak :lol:

I always open a carefully selected bottle from my private stock.

Usually a Coca Cola 2006.

I am sure that you favor a nice Natty Light, but I think that you would do better if you paired that steak that you spent quite a bit of time preparing with horse p!ss. If you don't appreciate a nice wine, then you might as well just cook a flank steak :lol:

:wall:

Actually, arsehole......

1: Coors Light

2: I've never cooked anything on my grill except for Tri-Tip, so I guess that I am a noob also

3: I have more tools than you :P :blink: :banana:

best I could come up with

:dunno:

2: I've never cooked anything on my grill except for Tri-Tip, so I guess that I am a noob also

THis is gonna sound weird, BUT..

CB&Potts grills their meatloaf.. I swear to you it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. I'm thinking about trying it. From what I can discern from the taste of it, they just use ground beef, toast, egg, onions, peppers, worsteshire, salt & pepper.. then grill it and put some kinda of kick azz sauce on it with garlic mashed potatoes.

All you Denver geeks, do yourself a favor and try it!

CB&Potts grills their meatloaf.. I swear to you it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. I'm thinking about trying it. From what I can discern from the taste of it, they just use ground beef, toast, egg, onions, peppers, worsteshire, salt & pepper.. then grill it and put some kinda of kick azz sauce on it with garlic mashed potatoes.

Or, all you Denver geeks, just stop by Big Petes undergarmet store and buy some slightly used meatloaf flavored panties. :huh:

Personally tasted and tested by Big Pete himself :thumbsup:

What about alcohol? I've heard that using alcohol, beer, wine, whatever, is a good marinade. Any truth to that?

I like to marinate myself in lots of alcohol prior to grilling. That way if I fock up the meat I really don't care.

:doublethumbsup:

Have to check that out. I used to work next door to the one on Santa Fe but for whatever reason have never been there.

Or, all you Denver geeks, just stop by Big Petes undergarmet store and buy some slightly used meatloaf flavored panties. :o

Personally tasted and tested by Big Pete himself :huh:

:D