Sign in to follow this  
FranksTanks

NFL Network games, after two games

Pros: Fewer commercials and TV time outs (makes for a much quicker game). No booth guests. Less promotions.

Cons: Obviously Gumble. Its on the same time as The Office.

I know there's more. What do you guys think?

The game actually flew by, watched the game at a bar...now I'm home typing. Didn't hear the broadcast, which according to everyone was a good thing.

It's football, but the production value seems to be a step or two behind Fox, NBC, and ABC family.

It's football, but the production value seems to be a step or two behind Fox, NBC, and ABC family.

I agree with this. For the NFL to showcase their sport on their own network, they sure didn't spend much time thinking about the broadcast team and production. It felt like it was produced by high schoolers and the broadcast team reminded me of Urkel & Bill Walton.

I like the NFL network but i'm opposed to games being shown on it. I like NFL 24 hours a day, but I don't like the posture of the NFL and how they were really sticking it to cable companies by advertising their iwantnflnetwork.com lobbying website. Let the networks show the live broadcasts.

The NFL needs to go out and scout various broadcast teams in college football, and test them out in certain broadcasts.

Gumbel is what he is: a bad play by play guy. It's not his bag, baybee.

I'd rather listen to a no name guy who knew football rather than a name brand who's not up to speed on football.

The NFL needs to go out and scout various broadcast teams in college football, and test them out in certain broadcasts.

Gumbel is what he is: a bad play by play guy. It's not his bag, baybee.

I'd rather listen to a no name guy who knew football rather than a name brand who's not up to speed on football.

Why not cycle some guys in and out? I gotta admit, when i watch a college team I don't normally watch, it's refreshing to hear different commentators.... it normally takes a few quarters for me to get annoyed with them.

As a fan, the ideal booth would be...

Solid play by play guy who can keep it moving...Brad Sham.

Collinsworth

Solid X's and O's guy who understands situations and has studied team tendencies...JAWS

I'll say it again, I like the second Monday night crew of Nessler, Vermeil, and Jaws.

Vermeil is scheduled to do som of the NFL games on NFL network(Saturday Night games), so it should be good....oh wait, they are pairing him with Gumbel

By the way, I watched the Rams and 49ers this past week. The Bachelor(Jesse Palmer) is not too bad on analysis. Kid has a future.

I agree with this. For the NFL to showcase their sport on their own network, they sure didn't spend much time thinking about the broadcast team and production. It felt like it was produced by high schoolers and the broadcast team reminded me of Urkel & Bill Walton.

I like the NFL network but i'm opposed to games being shown on it. I like NFL 24 hours a day, but I don't like the posture of the NFL and how they were really sticking it to cable companies by advertising their iwantnflnetwork.com lobbying website. Let the networks show the live broadcasts.

I agree. Come to think of it, I really enjoy the game of the week replays that they play during the week. They actually do a really good job with those and should maybe consider sticking to that.

say what you will about Gumble, I would still take these two guys over that sorry monday night crew. And I can't beleive some of you are complaining about football on nfln, its awesome having thursday games.

say what you will about Gumble, I would still take these two guys over that sorry monday night crew. And I can't beleive some of you are complaining about football on nfln, its awesome having thursday games.

I was trying to argue for him in an earlier thread because I like his tone and delivery, but he kept saying dumb stuff over and over. I still think you can credit it to this only being their second game and I agree with others that say this is much better than the Monday night football extravaganza that espn puts on.

The presentation was smoother than last week. But Gumbel is still horrible. The Ravens go 3 and out and punt. Gumbel says, "And the Ravens give it up on downs ..." Why do they put a guy in to do play by play who obviously knows nothing about football?

Are games on the NFL Network broadcast in HD? I am a direct TV subscriber.

I don't think that they are in HD. That is my biggest complaint. If it is HD it is crappy HD certainly not 1080i.

I find it nearly unwatchable. I check in from time to time, but I won't be watching entire games unless my team is playing.

Gumble is horrendous. Feed in the local radio guys from the home team like they do for some of the NFL Films. Add the local flavor and stir the opposing fans.

I don't even believe the NFL should be broadcasting games. It's smells almost like an infomercial.

I like it the NFL Network games. I really like Cris Collinsworth, but what I liked most about it is this:

After a little bit of talking from Gumbel and Collinsworth, then went right to the kickoff. No commercials. Compare that to ESPN's production of MNF, where Tirico, Kornheiser, and Theismann all have to talk, then they go to a commercial. They come back, and we have to hear from not only one, but TWO sideline reporters about blah blah blah, and then to another commercial. Just get to the game already!

I don't think that they are in HD. That is my biggest complaint. If it is HD it is crappy HD certainly not 1080i.

It's not the best broadcast I've seen in HD (I'd give that to MNF), but it still looks really good. It may be my imagination, but it looked better than last week, so maybe they're still tweaking things. If they'd ditch Gumbel, and get someone who actually knows how to do play-by-play, it has a chance to be great.

I actually don't mind Collinsworth -- he can be smarmy, but he's also self-deprecating enough not to come off as a total jerk. He just needs someone better to play off of.

My buddies and I now call Gumbel "Manwoman"

so now what do they call you, now they gave Gumble your old nickname? :wall:

I love the Thursday night games. Now they just need to add Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday games and I'd be set.

My only complaint, and it sounds like it is shared, is Gumble. I just cannot comprehend why they chose him. Examples:

First drive by Cincy: 3rd down incomplete, Gumble said Cincy would "turn it over on downs." No they didn't. They punted. You get stopped on 4th down and you "turn it over on downs."

Later in game: Currently 3-0 Cincy. Cincy lining up for field goal. Gumble says "at worst case" it will be 6-0. Kickers can't miss? No blocks?

4 mins to go: Gumble says "Cincy WILL have 2 shutouts in a row." No chance Balt could still score? They did.

Just a few examples I could remember. While watching the game I kept on being amazed at the things he would say. Just basically a football retard.

BTW, I actually do think it is some of the best HD quality I have seen. Like looking through a window ;-)

if you're talking direct tv the game on channel 212 is NOT in hd, it was on channel 95 in hd and it looked awesome. 212 looked like total crap.

if you're talking direct tv the game on channel 212 is NOT in hd, it was on channel 95 in hd and it looked awesome. 212 looked like total crap.

Thanks mozzy84, I didn't watch last night, because I was coaching my kids hockey practice. I just know the game on Thanksgiving looked like crap. I'll check the other channel out next week. Thanks again.