Sign in to follow this  
FrankRizzo

Help convince my league to AUCTION ...

Well, 2006 is OFFICIALLY over for me so now I want to convince my league to move from redraft to auction in 2007 .... what are the PROS to use in my case to my leaguemates about Auction Leagues ... ie: setup, amount, draft, rules, etc, etc ... I've heard from those that Auction that they will never go back ... so how do I convince my stubborn league of change?

10 team money snake redraft league

For years I have appreciated the advice, love and sarcasm this site brings me ... I hope it will continue just this one more time for my last post of the year .....

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR YOUR INPUT, DIRECTION AND IDEAS ...... & SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!

FR

Well, 2006 is OFFICIALLY over for me so now I want to convince my league to move from redraft to auction in 2007 .... what are the PROS to use in my case to my leaguemates about Auction Leagues ... ie: setup, amount, draft, rules, etc, etc ... I've heard from those that Auction that they will never go back ... so how do I convince my stubborn league of change?

10 team money snake redraft league

For years I have appreciated the advice, love and sarcasm this site brings me ... I hope it will continue just this one more time for my last post of the year .....

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR YOUR INPUT, DIRECTION AND IDEAS ...... & SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!

FR

Auction is no doubt the way to go!!!!! Tough to do though unless everyone is local.....you really need to have everyone in the same room because auction style will take longer & you need to bid live. That said.....try setting up a mock draft in may or june......once guys see that they have a shot at getting ANY player they will see the bennifit of auction style. You need to decide what the cap will be(I'm in a 10 team 2 division leage) and what your roster limits will be(we have a 26 man roster limit) My leage starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR,1TE, 1K & 2 each at LB, DL, DB.......that leaves plenty of bench room for bye week fill ins & depth. Get em to try it! :cheers:

Auction is no doubt the way to go!!!!! Tough to do though unless everyone is local.....you really need to have everyone in the same room because auction style will take longer & you need to bid live. That said.....try setting up a mock draft in may or june......once guys see that they have a shot at getting ANY player they will see the bennifit of auction style. You need to decide what the cap will be(I'm in a 10 team 2 division leage) and what your roster limits will be(we have a 26 man roster limit) My leage starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR,1TE, 1K & 2 each at LB, DL, DB.......that leaves plenty of bench room for bye week fill ins & depth. Get em to try it! <_<

Without a doubt THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

Tell them this: "If we don't like it, we'll go back to the draft." Believe me, you'll never, ever go back.

The intensity of the auction over the draft is forty fold. The fairness, equity of selection is infinitely greater.

Been running an auction for ten years. Cannot believe anybody still runs a draft!!! Really. I would not join a league that has a draft.

Don't get me started...

I'm switching my league to an auction next year. LT2 is a good example for this year of why an auction is better, the #1 pick (if they were smart) had a huge advantage over everyone else.

Do you guys have any recomendations for an online auction?

I had a look a this:

www.fantasyauctioneer.com

and it seemed ok.

fantasyauctioneer worked pretty good for my league. just make sure everyone has broadband. also, you can do free mocks to get your league used to the action.

auction is the best by far.

1) greater parity

2) more skill

3) a lot more fun during draft

I'm switching my league to an auction next year. LT2 is a good example for this year of why an auction is better, the #1 pick (if they were smart) had a huge advantage over everyone else.

I'm exploring this option for the future as well, but I take exception, particularly in a 12-team league, that the #1 draft pick who took Tomlinson had a "huge" advantage over everyone else.

It's simply not the case. You field a team full of players, and the #1 overall pick has a long time to wait over everyone else to try and fill positions with top-end players.

As the #1 pick in this year's draft who took Tomlinson, I can tell you that I finished 4th of 12 in overall points scored this year. I will also venture to guess that you won't find an overwhelming of Tomlinson owners who ran wire-to-wire with an undefeated record and/or the most points scored in their leagues.

You could argue that they had a huge advantage THIS year at the runningback position, based on results that couldn't exactly be predicted... but this is a terrible, mythical hindsight argument AT BEST.

I will also add that I'll have the "good fortune" of facing possibly the likes of Drew Brees, Carson Palmer... wide receivers like Chad Johnson and Reggie Wayne (on ONE team), LJ eventually, should I win...

With my Kitna or Leinart... Roy Williams, Larry Fitz...

Tomlinson has not been a HUGE advantage over everyone else. He has helped pick up the slack where my later rounds left me with less than the meaningfully desirous choices at the other positions.

I'm exploring this option for the future as well, but I take exception, particularly in a 12-team league, that the #1 draft pick who took Tomlinson had a "huge" advantage over everyone else.

It's simply not the case. You field a team full of players, and the #1 overall pick has a long time to wait over everyone else to try and fill positions with top-end players.

As the #1 pick in this year's draft who took Tomlinson, I can tell you that I finished 4th of 12 in overall points scored this year. I will also venture to guess that you won't find an overwhelming of Tomlinson owners who ran wire-to-wire with an undefeated record and/or the most points scored in their leagues.

You could argue that they had a huge advantage THIS year at the runningback position, based on results that couldn't exactly be predicted... but this is a terrible, mythical hindsight argument AT BEST.

In my PPR league, the top 5 RBs are:

LT: 426

LJ: 300

Westy: 280

SJAx: 270

Gore: 246

From there, there's a 5-10 point difference in RBs from one spot to the next. After the first round, you had a 126 point advantage over the 2nd pick and probably a 200 point advantage over the 12th pick. Contrast this to the 2nd round where there is only about a 50 point difference between the 13th and the 24th pick. The #1 overall comes out way ahead. The differences may be more dramatic this year than normal, but it's the same problem every year. Sometimes the top 2 or 3 or 4 will have an advantage but there will some advantage to the top picks because of the way the points are distributed across the players (i.e. a few very high scoring players and lots of average players).

In my PPR league, the top 5 RBs are:

LT: 426

LJ: 300

Westy: 280

SJAx: 270

Gore: 246

From there, there's a 5-10 point difference in RBs from one spot to the next. After the first round, you had a 126 point advantage over the 2nd pick and probably a 200 point advantage over the 12th pick. Contrast this to the 2nd round where there is only about a 50 point difference between the 13th and the 24th pick. The #1 overall comes out way ahead. The differences may be more dramatic this year than normal, but it's the same problem every year. Sometimes the top 2 or 3 or 4 will have an advantage but there will some advantage to the top picks because of the way the points are distributed across the players (i.e. a few very high scoring players and lots of average players).

Agreed... and my numbers would show something similar to what you have done above.

My point being... and I think you're "kinda sorta" perhaps agreeing with me... is that I face the likes of those who got the top dogs at other positions in the absence of your LT or LJ.

While my LT may be 10-15 ppg ahead of those RBs sitting in the #3 - #15 slots (at this point in the season)...

My Kitna is lagging 8-12 ppg behind some of the QBs in the playoffs.

My RWilliams and Larry Fitz are lagging 5-8 ppg behind some of the other wide receivers in my playoffs, scarily enough, #1 and #2 in my league, Johnson and Wayne... are on the same #6 seeded team.

Even in my "old school" redraft league, it tends to balance out in other positions.

This type of tired old arguments about "HUMONGOUS ADVANTAGE" leave out the cold, hard fact that no one could have predicted Tomlinson averaging 247 touchdowns per game. :dunno: But those that THINK they "know better" always seem to forget obvious points like that. These are the same people who probably really DID believe that Larry Johnson was the guy who was going to have the 30TD season based upon last year's performances. These are also probably the same people who claimed that Tomlinson would be "worn out" and performances slack off at the end of the season "like they always do."

It never works out as we expect it to, and anyone who tells you that they "expected" Tomlinson to have THIS type of season, is a focking liar.

As an auction commish... I'd agree with this (imagine that!). Too many guys try to hype auctions by saying it eliminates the huge/big/glaring/obvious unfairness of a draft. That's really not true... and an auction is so much more than that. While it's true that an auction eliminates any advantage or disadvantage created by draft position (however big or small it may be)... the best thing about the auction is that owners can choose to either take two "Top Guys" and fill their roster with a bunch of deep sleepers and scrubs... or forego the first round talent and take 7 or 8 "second tier" guys. That's simply not possible with a draft. The auction allows an owner to build a team the way he wants to.

Some other positives are:

Every owner has an equal chance at every player.

A players 'value' is more accurately represented by his auction value than by his draft position.

Rewards research and accurate projecting. Spending too much money on a bust or getting a deep sleeper for cheap is more significant than it is in a re-draft.

The auction itself takes skill. The live auction is a poker game. We have been doing it for years and most of the owners in my league are VERY good at it. You need to be able to acurately determine who really wants a player... and who is just bidding up his price. One of the best feelings at an auction is sticking an owner with a player he didn't want... that he overpaid for.

Free agents. Done by bidding, and they count against your cap. Whoever wants to pay the most gets him... and the owner can decide if he wants to blow his salary on auction day, or save a ton of money to clean up in the FA market.

Frank... we do an auction/contract league where you sign players to 2, 3 and 4 year deals at their auction price before the season starts. I think it's the best way to do keepers... if you'd like... I can email you a condensed version of my leagues rules.

If all that fails... just tell 'em not be pussys... that's how I changed my league... :dunno:

Sounds Like this format is something we want to try, but..... The commish is balking because of extra work on his part. Are the rules for your league fairly comprehensive. What site do you run on? (we use CBS currently) Any others with info on how CBS auction leagues compare to re draft . (Commish duties only)

Thanks for the info.

fantasyauctioneer worked pretty good for my league. just make sure everyone has broadband. also, you can do free mocks to get your league used to the action.

auction is the best by far.

1) greater parity

2) more skill

3) a lot more fun during draft

I don't agree with 2 and 3.

My wife can draft, just watch who's getting bid up, and build a roster, watch your money.

A rookie HAS to know the player pool to build a team in a snake.

Our projector draft board is fun as hell with beer and bustin' balls.

And you say the auction takes skill....but that's no NFL or FF skill, that's a skill at managing a budget, and running an austion.

My guys are scares this "auciton skill" will ruin their season if they screw up.

As this skill has nothing to do with FF.

PS--I want to convince my guys due to LT, BUT they ususally don't pan out, and this year only 1/3 did.

I don't agree with 2 and 3.

My wife can draft, just watch who's getting bid up, and build a roster, watch your money.

A rookie HAS to know the player pool to build a team in a snake.

Our projector draft board is fun as hell with beer and bustin' balls.

And you say the auction takes skill....but that's no NFL or FF skill, that's a skill at managing a budget, and running an austion.

My guys are scares this "auciton skill" will ruin their season if they screw up.

As this skill has nothing to do with FF.

PS--I want to convince my guys due to LT, BUT they ususally don't pan out, and this year only 1/3 did.

I don't know your wife... so I couldn't say if she could do well in an auction format or not. That said... an auction takes significantly more skill... FF skill.

A drunk monkey can go to a snake draft and simply pick the next guy off the list in his magazine when his turn comes up... probably end up with a competitive team too. In an auction... you need to have an accurate projection of a players true value... not just his draft position.

Example... the top three-four RB's for next season are already becoming clear. LT, LJ, SJax, Gore etc... it's stupid easy to just pick them in order... but how mouch mor value does LT have over LJ... LJ over SJax... etc...

People that don't prepare for an auction get eaten alive... not so in a draft.

Auctions are over-rated and the only reason they even came into existence is because some comissioner got "Priest-Holmed" or "Tomlinsoned" in a playoff game and they're still mad about it. :dunno:

Anyways, heres some points to ponder:

- LT and LJ are STILL going to end up on someones team and when you play them and LT scores 4 times, the auction cant save you. And just becasue those teams spent money on those RB's does NOT mean the rest of their team stinks. The *chances* are still there that they could get cheap "steals" late in the draft and still end up with a monster team. Oh Wait...thats EXACTLY the way it works in regular drafts! What Im saying is that this "FF skill" thing is rather silly. Projecting stats is like projecting stocks..... its a DICEROLL and a gamble and thats it!

- Auctions can KILL a team if they get stuck over-paying for players which Ive seen at the drafts I've been to or watched. They stay out of the bidding for the top guys looking to be frugal with their money. Then, reality sets in and they dont have any focking players on their team worth a crap so now they HAVE to bid on someone and usually WAY overbid out of panic. The result.... that team now sucks and has no money left. Their season is over just like it would be if they had a bad draft.

- Auctions can be fun but it can also get ridiculous and out of hand...just like a regular draft.

- Please stop with this FF skill thing. I'm quite sure that noone bid on Marques Colston at any auctions last year and if they did it was PURELY a gamble. Colston had as much a chance to get taken in a draft as he did in an auction. Also, look at all of the busts at RB this year. Could you have predicted them? Nope, so how the hell was an auction gonna "fix" it. Would I not bid on Alexander becuae I knew he was gonna get hurt? Ummm no, and to add insult to injury players get hurt AND you over-paid for them. Totally blows!

SUMMARY: Auctions just move the top talent around and move the scrubs around from one team to another and NEVER solve the problem that we really have which is that the top RB's score WAY more points than all the other positions and we somehow try to "engineer" this advantage out of our leagues with auctions, snake drafts, redrafts, etc, etc.

You want to fix it? Make the WR and QB scoring brackets smaller or reward them for things that RB's do NOT get. That would balance things a bit, trust me. :first: