Sign in to follow this  
Gay Focker

Storing gas in your unused below ground oil tank

What do you think? It is also a forgone conclusion that gas will also start going up again in April. It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The US is almost conditioned for this to take place. In April markets are jittery about the "summer driving season" and political unrest/approach of hurricane season possibly hindering supplies. Of course, the market always seems well supplied to meet this demand.

Anyway, for those who commute (like me) a great distance (600 miles per week) it may actually save a boatload of money if you do this. I have a fuel efficient compact car that gets 34 mpg, but still that is some real savings as gas will likely test the $3 mark again come May/June and if a major hurricane and/or political unrest occur, all bets are off ($4/gallon). Currently prices are about $2.10 a gallon and are going to go south of $2 in the next few weeks here in NJ.

I have an unused underground storage tank that used to contain heating oil which is now almost empty. There is probably like 50 gallons of heating oil left on the bottom. Switched to gas about 2 years ago.

You can also store some in 55 gallon drums in your garage. It really isn't that dangerous.

What do you think?

I'd say dig your underground oil tank up. That is a major hazzard.

I'd say dig your underground oil tank up. That is a major hazzard.

I'd be curious about how long you can safely store gasoline without it going bad or leaking into the ground. Not a bad idea if you have several thousand dollars you can cough up to fill the tank

You'd have to spend a fortune to empty the remaining heating oil, clean the tank out and inspect it to ensure safe, reliable storage. You'd be better off with the 55 gallon drum idea in the garage...and yes it is dangerous.

I would run this idea by steamypoop first. :headbanger:

Big black cack gangbangs and oil storage tanks. I'm failing to make the connection here. :lol:

The US is now conditioned to pay extremely high gas prices in the spring and summer. Now with any hint of Irananina trouble, gas likely to skyrocket. If the hurricane season is also especially bad, it can go up even further.

I wish that I could have done this logistically.

The US is now conditioned to pay extremely high gas prices in the spring and summer. Now with any hint of Irananina trouble, gas likely to skyrocket. If the hurricane season is also especially bad, it can go up even further.

I wish that I could have done this logistically.

hell, just invest in crude then. that's a lot safer than storing 55 gallon drum barrels in your garage.

:thumbsdown:

I should have done this. While there is some residual heating oil left in the tank, you can easily fill it with gas which will be less dense abd float on the top.

I am doing it next January!