Sign in to follow this  
rottytiny

Colts and Bears homers food question for you guys.

Have a pretty big Superbowl party here at the house every year and the wife trys to incorporate foods from both teams, things that are relavent to that team/city, ie Pats and Clam Chowder, Philly and Cheesesteaks, last year she made Rothlisburgers (Pitt) etc.....

What, if any, are the foods from Indy and Chicago that are associated with those areas and football?

Thanks for any help, she wants to get started early. Gotta love a wife thats into the game as much as you are, she even bets on the game and prop bets!! She/we have about 50 people over with tons of booze and the regulars, wings, dips, hoagies, clams, shrimp, etc.. but need some ideas for this years game/teams!!

Thanks for any help. This will be a long 2 weeks until the bowl, :banana:

Chicago:

Deep dish Pizza

Chicago Style Dogs - NO FRIGGIN' KETCHUP!

Gyros (Grecian Delight brand)

Polish Sausage (Bobak brand)

Indy:

:banana:

Vanilla wafers???

Colts fan here. What I like to make for the Superbowl is babyback ribs. Try this recipe and you will not be disappointed: Season ribs with salt and pepper, then soak them with 2 parts beer and one part white vinegar overnight along with a quarted onion and a split head of garlic. Bake the ribs at 325 for two hours on a large baking sheet along with some of the marinade to keep them moist. Sauce the ribs several times (I like sweet baby rays) while continuing to bake them for one additional hour so the sauce bakes onto the meat on both sides. Watch out because they'll be fallin' apart and you may need to shower after eating them :dunno:

Second the BBQ call for Indy. Ribs and pulled-pork are a staple of tailgating and SB parties. Serve the pulled pork on rye bread with thick-sliced onions. That's more a Southern Indiana thing because of the German heritage down there... but mmmm.... good stuff. :dunno:

Colts fan here. What I like to make for the Superbowl is babyback ribs. Try this recipe and you will not be disappointed: Season ribs with salt and pepper, then soak them with 2 parts beer and one part white vinegar overnight along with a quarted onion and a split head of garlic. Bake the ribs at 325 for two hours on a large baking sheet along with some of the marinade to keep them moist. Sauce the ribs several times (I like sweet baby rays) while continuing to bake them for one additional hour so the sauce bakes onto the meat on both sides. Watch out because they'll be fallin' apart and you may need to shower after eating them :banana:

Even "their" one idea for an Indy dish is smothered in Chicago sauce!

(insert Chicago sauce jokes here)

Chicago:

Deep dish Pizza

Chicago Style Dogs - NO FRIGGIN' KETCHUP!

Gyros (Grecian Delight brand)

Polish Sausage (Bobak brand)

NO KETCHUP ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE THAT DAY......

Also on of the staples of Chicagoians diets is itialian beef sandwitches from Mr. Beef. So make some italian beef and dip the ends of the bread in garlic....

Indy homer...

We dont really have a signature food. CHI has its pizza, CIN has its chili...we are caught in the middle (literally).

Chili (with beans) and cornbread is a good suggestion. We certainly have plenty-o-corn around here.

Pepper and Onions sandwiches are good. Get a decent beef roast, throw it in a slow cooker with a package of onion soup mix, a couple sliced onions, a couple sliced green peppers, and a can of beef broth. Cook it all day until the meet falls apart and slop it on a large bun/hoagie roll. If you like a little spice throw in some pepperocinis or some japalanos.

Orvell Redenbacher is from Indiana...throw in some good popcorn.

Even "their" one idea for an Indy dish is smothered in Chicago sauce!

(insert Chicago sauce jokes here)

That's funny, I've never looked at the label close enough to know it was from Chicago ... good sauce though.

That's funny, I've never looked at the label close enough to know it was from Chicago ... good sauce though.

Ray has a spicy version also - gotta try it! THE best BBQ sauce on the market, IMO. :dunno:

Indy homer...

We dont really have a signature food. CHI has its pizza, CIN has its chili...we are caught in the middle (literally).

Chili (with beans) and cornbread is a good suggestion. We certainly have plenty-o-corn around here.

Pepper and Onions sandwiches are good. Get a decent beef roast, throw it in a slow cooker with a package of onion soup mix, a couple sliced onions, a couple sliced green peppers, and a can of beef broth. Cook it all day until the meet falls apart and slop it on a large bun/hoagie roll. If you like a little spice throw in some pepperocinis or some japalanos.

Orvell Redenbacher is from Indiana...throw in some good popcorn.

:thumbsup:

indy actually has several signature foods, just most hoosiers don't know they are unique. we love deep fried pork tenderloins, corn on the cob grilled not boiled dipped in butter, we'll deep fry anything really.

indy actually has several signature foods, just most hoosiers don't know they are unique. we love deep fried pork tenderloins, corn on the cob grilled not boiled dipped in butter, we'll deep fry anything really.

I'll give ya the battered and fried tenderloins (I guess I take them for granted having lived here so long)...but they are eaten in most places where hogs are raised (I've had them in rural Texas). Same thing with grilled corn...they do that in Nebraska and Iowa.

Although I will admit that the best tenderloins I've had are around here (with mustard and pickles). And we will d@mn sure deep fry just about anything. :thumbsdown:

You could go the route of Indiana based brands. Sechler pickles are canned up near fort wayne. Red Gold is a huge tomato processor, they sell a Colts branded ketchup, Pop Weaver and Redenbacher are/were Indiana based popcorn brands. There are lots of good Indiana micro-brewerys if you want to grab some local beers. Look up Barley Island out of Noblesville (subrub of Indy), Oaken Barrel out of Greenwood (suburb of Indy), or Mad Anthony Brewing Co out of Ft.Wayne.

http://barleyisland.tripod.com/index.htm

http://www.oakenbarrel.com/

http://www.madbrew.com/

:thumbsdown:

NO KETCHUP ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE THAT DAY......

Also on of the staples of Chicagoians diets is itialian beef sandwitches from Mr. Beef. So make some italian beef and dip the ends of the bread in garlic....

I prefer Portillo's, but you're right - I-talian Beef belongs on the menu!

And I must say....

Sorry Hoosiers - but you lose the food battle in a big way! Hopefully, the game also! :huh:

I prefer Portillo's, but you're right - I-talian Beef belongs on the menu!

And I must say....

Sorry Hoosiers - but you lose the food battle in a big way! Hopefully, the game also! :thumbsdown:

No contest on the food. Given the size and the ethnic diversity...Chicago has great food.

But for the love of gawd, please don't refer to "us" as "Hoosiers". I know we're the "Hoosier State" and the original name of the stadium was the "Hoosier Dome". But the only "Hoosier" in this game is Adewale Ogunleye.

And I must say....

Sorry Hoosiers - but you lose the food battle in a big way! Hopefully, the game also! :thumbsup:

for the record, i agree on both counts.

No contest on the food. Given the size and the ethnic diversity...Chicago has great food.

But for the love of gawd, please don't refer to "us" as "Hoosiers". I know we're the "Hoosier State" and the original name of the stadium was the "Hoosier Dome". But the only "Hoosier" in this game is Adewale Ogunleye.

Sorry dude, didn't know it was such a sore subject.

Sorry dude, didn't know it was such a sore subject.

:lol:

I am born and raised in Indiana (and a Boilermaker too!) but don't mind the reference.

I figured the Deep Dish Pizza for the Bears but never heard of a deep fried tenderloin, how do you make it? (I know deep fry it!) :dunno: but is their any special prep work?

Definitely going deep dish and Polish sausage (reminds me of the Sat night live Skit with Farley) :doublethumbsup:

Still looking for the Colts entry, deep fried tenderloin or pulled pork sandwiches??

Any special beers or drinks for either city?? :cheers:

Thanks for the ideas!

I figured the Deep Dish Pizza for the Bears but never heard of a deep fried tenderloin, how do you make it? (I know deep fry it!) :dunno: but is their any special prep work?

Definitely going deep dish and Polish sausage (reminds me of the Sat night live Skit with Farley) :doublethumbsup:

Still looking for the Colts entry, deep fried tenderloin or pulled pork sandwiches??

Any special beers or drinks for either city?? :cheers:

Thanks for the ideas!

I make my tenderloins by getting about 3/4 inch thick cut pork tenderloin and putting it between two pieces of saran wrap. I then beat the ever loving sh1t out of it till it’s about 1/8 inch thick. I then coat it in a mix of flour, red pepper, corn meal, salt (a fair amount), then dip it in whole milk and re dredge it in the flour mix. Fry until golden brown and serve on a bun with mustard and cold dill pickles. We chase that with beer in Indiana we aren't frou-frou drink people. I do all that however then put my bear’s number 54 jersey on and root like hell for my bears.

Any special beers or drinks for either city?? :(

There are lots of good Indiana micro-brewerys if you want to grab some local beers. Look up Barley Island out of Noblesville (subrub of Indy), Oaken Barrel out of Greenwood (suburb of Indy), or Mad Anthony Brewing Co out of Ft.Wayne.

I make my tenderloins by getting about 3/4 inch thick cut pork tenderloin and putting it between two pieces of saran wrap. I then beat the ever loving sh1t out of it till it’s about 1/8 inch thick. I then coat it in a mix of flour, red pepper, corn meal, salt (a fair amount), then dip it in whole milk and re dredge it in the flour mix. Fry until golden brown and serve on a bun with mustard and cold dill pickles. We chase that with beer in Indiana we aren't frou-frou drink people. I do all that however then put my bear’s number 54 jersey on and root like hell for my bears.

Damn that sounds good...except for the putting on of the Bears jersey...that part about made me hurl.

Oh...and can anyone tell me what the fock a Hoosier is?

Damn that sounds good...except for the putting on of the Bears jersey...that part about made me hurl.

Oh...and can anyone tell me what the fock a Hoosier is?

Other than the nickname for Indiana University, or a generic term describing someone from Indiana, there is really not a definative answer.

The most common belief is that the term was a greeting. When approaching a man's home in early frontier days, you shouted from afar, "Hello, the cabin!" to avoid being shot. The inhabitants would then shout back "Who'sh 'ere?" (who's there). As it got slurred together over time, the country folk came to be called Hoosiers.

Another possibility relating to slang historically associated with the region is the combination of "Who's" and "your", such as in "Who'sh yer 'pa?".

:headbanger:

There are lots of good Indiana micro-brewerys if you want to grab some local beers. Look up Barley Island out of Noblesville (subrub of Indy), Oaken Barrel out of Greenwood (suburb of Indy), or Mad Anthony Brewing Co out of Ft.Wayne.

Mmmmm, I like the oakenbarrel wheat beer.

Ribs? I think of Memphis

Tenderloin? I think of Iowa

Popcorn? Ok I guess Indiana

Since the Indy homers didn't come up with anything truly "Indiana" for the menu, I decided to call my buddy who runs a meat plant in Southern Indiana. After several minutes of "hmmm.... I can't think of anything that would be considered a signature dish....", he finally offered:

PORK TENDERLOIN SANDWICH!

Ribs? I think of Memphis

Tenderloin? I think of Iowa

Popcorn? Ok I guess Indiana

Since the Indy homers didn't come up with anything truly "Indiana" for the menu, I decided to call my buddy who runs a meat plant in Southern Indiana. After several minutes of "hmmm.... I can't think of anything that would be considered a signature dish....", he finally offered:

PORK TENDERLOIN SANDWICH!

Ha! Tenderloin would have been my guess as well.

Followed by a game of euchre, of course.

Ha! Tenderloin would have been my guess as well.

Followed by a game of euchre, of course.

Once again - euchre is an Iowa game in my mind

Once again - euchre is an Iowa game in my mind

I think you have us transposed. The movie Hoosiers doesn't make you think of Iowa too, right?

I think you have us transposed. The movie Hoosiers doesn't make you think of Iowa too, right?

Yeah. They filmed the movie's final game at Drake's historic field house, didn't they?

Iowa? Indiana? Hawkeye? Hoosier? what's the difference?

hehehehe....

Other than the nickname for Indiana University, or a generic term describing someone from Indiana, there is really not a definative answer.

The most common belief is that the term was a greeting. When approaching a man's home in early frontier days, you shouted from afar, "Hello, the cabin!" to avoid being shot. The inhabitants would then shout back "Who'sh 'ere?" (who's there). As it got slurred together over time, the country folk came to be called Hoosiers.

Back in grade school, some of the theories also included a common call after a knock-down fight ended with a ripped-off ear. "Who's Ear"... eventually turned into "Hoosier".

I am not making this up... it was in the book as we were studying Indiana history. :cheers: Crazy.

Back in grade school, some of the theories also included a common call after a knock-down fight ended with a ripped-off ear. "Who's Ear"... eventually turned into "Hoosier".

I am not making this up... it was in the book as we were studying Indiana history. :banana: Crazy.

There is also some story about a preacher with the last name of Hoosier that traveled through Indiana. His followers became "Hoosiers". :banana:

I beleive Mannings favorite native Indy dish starts with collecting a bowl full of salmon bones, the tiny ones you pick out of your teeth occasionally.. He then ingests them continually until asphixiation and coughing commences...

He will then pass out, probably near the 4th quarter as his 'laser-rocket arm' throws a duck to a Bears DB who takes it to the house for a victory. :headbanger: :thumbsup:

I beleive Mannings favorite native Indy dish starts with collecting a bowl full of salmon bones, the tiny ones you pick out of your teeth occasionally.. He then ingests them continually until asphixiation and coughing commences...

He will then pass out, probably near the 4th quarter as his 'laser-rocket arm' throws a duck to a Bears DB who takes it to the house for a victory. :headbanger: :thumbsup:

Wow - that's a good one. How long you been working on that?

Wow - that's a good one. How long you been working on that?

Manning has been working on it his whole career

Actually - Tee Martin won a championship in Tennessee with the same team Peyton choked with... So maybe its not a native indy dish

Its a manning genetic defect, like autism

Manning has been working on it his whole career

Actually - Tee Martin won a championship in Tennessee with the same team Peyton choked with... So maybe its not a native indy dish

Its a manning genetic defect, like autism

Wow - a "Manning chokes" post. Welcome to the forum - we welcome fresh ideas like this. :D

Wow - a "Manning chokes" post. Welcome to the forum - we welcome fresh ideas like this. :banana:

Its almost been 4 years here. Which is a short tenure as compared Mannings tendencies

Its almost been 4 years here. Which is a short tenure as compared Mannings tendencies

Since you are a Patriots fan (as I have read in your other posts), I will assume that this is nothing short of continued sour grapes. You could learn a lot from your fellow homers around here.

Good luck next year.

:lol:

200 some odd posts in 4 years? Thanks for all your expert advice!

Since you are a Patriots fan (as I have read in your other posts), I will assume that this is nothing short of continued sour grapes. You could learn a lot from your fellow homers around here.

Good luck next year.

My Sour grapes are not anywhere pointed towards Peyton Manning. We choked away the game ourselves, manning did all he could in the first half to put the game out of reach.

While i wish you the best in the SB, Your best hope to win is having Mannings thumb flare up and have Paul Justin pull a Romo/Garcia

:thumbsdown:

200 some odd posts in 4 years? Thanks for all your expert advice!

The vast vast majority of posts here seeking advice don't provide the framework to make a reasonable analysis.

You find a thread where the guy posts detailed rules, lineup and scoring background vs.

"Reggie Bush vs Westbrook" who is better?

I read here for entertainment, although 99% is ###### Grano Salis