Sign in to follow this  
t.j

playing fantasy sports without paying attention to the sport

So I got invited to join a fantasy NBA league at the start of this season. I didn't even know what the scoring system was before the draft (turned out it's H2H rotisserie). I pre-ranked my players based on who I thought was young and upcoming and likely to stay healthy, also some positional strategy (favoring big guys since SF and SG are a dime a dozen, and favoring multi-positional guys). Couldn't even make the draft, the computer drafted for me.

I haven't watched more than a few minutes of an NBA game all year. My team has done great, I finished 2nd place in the regular season, got a bye, and currently have a solid lead in the semifinal game. This despite Dwyane Wade being my 1st round pick and Shaq being my 6th round pick (I cut both guys when they got hurt). :Mr-T:

It's pretty fun except that it makes me wonder why I invest so much time into fantasy football to have less success at it! It doesn't really mean anything, I'm sure the rest of my NBA league are hardly NBA experts or anything. But it's just weird to not follow a sport and still do well in a fantasy league for it. :dunno:

I am that way wit hbaseball. I watch the Tigers alot, so I pick up AL guys as teh season goes, but the NL is a mystery. Never heard of most guys.

I'm like that with MLB 2K7. Don't know who's good and who's not. Don't know how to develop players. Don't know how to rotate non-pitchers. But the games layout sucks compared to EA games too.

But yea, i wouldn't be able to do fantasy sports for something i didn't like. How do you motivate yourself to update your team? After a while i just lose interest. The NBA is too long to do fantasy and i watch as many games as i can.

But yea, i wouldn't be able to do fantasy sports for something i didn't like. How do you motivate yourself to update your team? After a while i just lose interest. The NBA is too long to do fantasy and i watch as many games as i can.

I actually like the NBA but I just don't watch it during the regular season. Maybe the season is just too long, I don't know, I don't find the regular season games to be compelling. Especially when there is so much else going on like the NFL, NCAA tourney, my own sports that I play, etc. But I like stats. And I started off hot and I like winning so I kept updating my team. :cheers: Haven't had to make too many changes. The start/bench decisions aren't hard like FF, just once a week go in and make sure the guys who are actually playing are in the starting lineup for each day of the week. And when someone gets hurt, cut their ass!!

I can watch the regular season because i love playing basketball. So whenever i watch, i try to learn ######. For any sequence, i'll just focus on one player. I'll try to figure out and learn new sh1t. Watching steve nash is fun too. But theres no way i can copy him, but i do try to figure out how he saw what he did.

Plus, it helps when you're a fan of a specific team. I'll watch all the spurs games i can and as a second team i've kinda taken on the Warriors. I've become a big fan of Agent Zero so those games are fun to watch. Warriors-Wizards followed a week later by warriors suns, unbelievable.

I agree it helps to have a specific team to root for. I'm a Kings fan but even when they were good I didn't really watch the regular season games. I do like to try to watch and learn from the players, I play in a rec basketball league once a week and there is plenty of stuff in my game that needs work. :banana: I dunno, I guess I just have too many hobbies that I am more interested in than the NBA.

Also Update: I won my league! :blink:

I love to play fantasy football and baseball. I know at least as much or more about baseball than I do football being that its the family sport. That being said I suck at fantasy baseball and KILL in fantasy football. I have only finished out of the money 2 times in the past 7 years of FF. I can't even crack the top 5 in a baseball league. Which pisses me off as I watch a TON of baseball no matter who is playing.

I was in a hockey league once which I won and I watch zero hockey