Sign in to follow this  
OrangeSoda

Compiler/Cheat Sheet Features?

Hey guys,

I have not used this tool before, but have used a similar tool for past drafts. Just wondering if your version would be able to assess not just a ranking but a Value to a player for the auction leagues out there.

The other question is how far do the rankings go, is it only Top 50 players for each postion or do you go beyond that?

Lastly Cost? (2007 version)

Thanks,

Matt (Orangesoda)

Hi Matt,

Yes, the Compiler/Draft Buddy does support auction values and leagues just fine.

As far as the rankings go, roughly you'll have 60 QBs, 100 RBs, 100 WRs, 40 TEs, and of course all the starting kickers and defenses.

Cost will be $11.95 for an early bird, like you :dunno: and $16.95 for the late birds (Aug. 1st and after).

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

I have asked this question in an email but here it is again.

I too am new to the compiler, but I've always ALWAYS wanted a tool exactly like this. But one of my leagues has a unique scoring system, so I'm wondering if your compiler can handle it.

For every TD, the scoring player not only gets 100 pts for the TD but also the distance of the TD. So if Gates catches a 26 yard TD he gets 126 pts. Same with the kicker, gets fixed points for the FG plus the distance of the FG. Defensive TD gets points for TD plus distance.

I have previously made my own excel spreadsheet to score this but I got tired of having to manually enter the stats for every player in the league every week. Thus I now don't have complete stats from last year based on this scoring system.

Can you compiler handle this? Please say it does and you got my 12 bucks this week.

Thanks!

I have asked this question in an email but here it is again.

I too am new to the compiler, but I've always ALWAYS wanted a tool exactly like this. But one of my leagues has a unique scoring system, so I'm wondering if your compiler can handle it.

For every TD, the scoring player not only gets 100 pts for the TD but also the distance of the TD. So if Gates catches a 26 yard TD he gets 126 pts. Same with the kicker, gets fixed points for the FG plus the distance of the FG. Defensive TD gets points for TD plus distance.

I have previously made my own excel spreadsheet to score this but I got tired of having to manually enter the stats for every player in the league every week. Thus I now don't have complete stats from last year based on this scoring system.

Can you compiler handle this? Please say it does and you got my 12 bucks this week.

Thanks!

Hi J.C. My apologies for not getting back to you by email. That's not a good start to the season in keeping my reputation up for prompt responses. I hadn't forgotten you but I've been slaving away at this thing trying to get it ready for ... well look at the time :banana: ... later today. Haven't pulled an all-nighter in a long time.

At any rate, do you mean prior year stats or based on projections for the upcoming year? I'll answer both.

The Compiler does not include the length of every TD that every player scored the past 3 years (or even just last year). It would just be too much data to pack into the program. The Compiler does include distance scoring options, but these are not applied against prior year stats.

Now, on the projections for '07, what we need to understand is the projections are estimates of how each player is going to perform this season. We do project the number of TDs, but we do not project the exact distance of each TD every player will score. The reason? It would be a task with very little utility because there is no way someone could do predictions that detailed with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Here is what we do though... in the Compiler it includes aggregate past stats on how effective numerous players have been scoring from distance in 10 yard increments (1-9, 10-19, etc.). Based on these stats the Compiler takes the projected number of TDs and applies the % scored in each 10 yard increment and estimates the number of TD this year in each range, applies the distance scoring and voila, projected fantasy points based on distance.

To get to the specifics of your scoring system, with the 1 point per yard, the Compiler scoring does get that detailed. However, since we're dealing with estimates here anyway I think you'd be just as well off using the options in the Compiler as follows:

TD distance 1 to 9 yards = 5 points (for the distance bonus portion)

10 to 19 yards = 10 points

20 to 29 yards = 15 points

etc., etc.

Since it is 1 point per yard, basically split each range giving 5 points per 10 yards.

Does that help? Do you want the actual distance of each TD scored by all players last year?

Does that help? Do you want the actual distance of each TD scored by all players last year?

Thanks for answering my question Mike. The aforementioned league I'm in has this very unique scoring system, a brainchild by my neighbor / founder of the league. Due to the uniqueness of the scoring system, no Yahoo/FoxSports/CBS type online tool can handle it. Therefore I cannot compile a cheatsheet based on last season's stats. So I am hoping that your compiler can do that for me.

So if there is a way you can get me that specific stat of the distance of each TD scored last season (including defensive/ST), it would help me accomplish exactly what I'm looking for, that is, an edge over all other owners in that league. Now THAT'S what I'll pay big money to get (namely the $11.95 :unsure: ).

Your help is very much appreciated Mike. Thanks again.

WisconsinBills (RUN MARSHAWN RUN!!!!!!!)

I'm not sure how that data would work in connection with the Compiler. I'd have to think about that. I'll try to pull that distance data from our database tomorrow though.

I guess if you had something like cumulative distance yards for TD that could easily plug into a formula to calculate the actual scoring. But remember, distance scoring TD is highly volatile from year to year, so the actual results from '06 may not be as insightful as we would like. Just a thought.

Personally, I like the scoring system but you've got to get that changed if it can't be managed with an online system. I would bet that MFL could handle it.

Mike:

Can you explain the "Overall Rankings/Custom Baselines?" I am about to try my first auction (Dynasty IDP). Would you recommend using the "Compiler Auction Recommended" setting? If so, why?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott. The Auction Recommended option is new this year. While I haven't updated the instructions from last year yet, so it doesn't discuss this new method specifically, to get a good overview of what the overall ranking methods and custom baselines are trying to accomplish, scroll down to the section "Overall Ranking Methods" on this page:

http://www.fftoday.com/compiler/hg_compiler_adv.htm

Now, the idea behind the Auction Recommended method is that it will create a good set of expected bid amounts (cheatsheets) for most auction settings. I tried to apply adjustments to each position so that, in most cases, it creates a nice and reasonable spread of available dollars across the draftable player pool, and also in such a way that positions that are more valuable are appropriately weighted for the overall rankings.

The old methods ... Compiler Recommended in particular ... does a good job weighting the importance of the positions for draft style leagues, but it tends to break down for auctions putting too many dollars in the top players and not enough for average starters and below.

Its hard to say if I fully support the Auction Recommended results without running/seeing the results myself to your specific league. I will suggest it is a good starting point though. Run the Compiler with it and based on your knowledge of the league settings, assess whether the dollar amounts look reasonable. You'll be able to tell by the relative value of the players at each position. How much is LT? What 2 RB can you acquire at the same price at LT? Does this make sense?

You may need to do some tweaking to the baselines and re-run the Compiler. This can get a little tricky with auctions though because sometimes the dollars go in reverse of your expectation when you make adjustments.

Another thing you can do is adjust the bid amounts in Draft Buddy after you set it up. If we're just talking about changing a handful of players then you probably don't want to mess around with the baselines.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

Thanks Mike. I've never done an auction before, so I have little basis for judging. Like others, using the CC/DB has put me at the top of about every league I've been in, so I'm going to stay pretty close to the recommendations.

A couple of other questions, if you don't mind. We have a $200 cap and I want to hold 10% back for midyear moves. First does 10% sound right. Assuming it is shoud I use $180 or $200 as the "Salary Cap per Team?"

Scott

No trouble Scott. You're going to love doing an auction. Its the bomb.

I will say this though, which I told another Compiler user recently... while its fine to use the Compiler rankings strictly by the book for draft leagues, auctions and calculated auction values are a little different. Its a lot more subjective.

The reason for this is because once you get into the auction, you may find yourself with a group of owners who bid the top players very aggressively. The bids are all going above what the Compiler calculated, and the only reason is because that is the personality of your auction - something the Compiler cannot account for. It works in reverse too. Maybe everyone is bidding very conservatively, and each player off the board looks like a bargain. This one doesn't happy too much, as most people overspend.

My point in saying this is use the Compiler calculated values as a guide. There are always X-factors in auctions that influence things so you need to adjust on the fly. The values will still be good, but I just want to caution not to take them as gospel.

[ Now I've said this I'm sure people will chime in they used the auction values as gospel and tore up their league :ninja: ]

Holding back $15-$20 seems about right assuming $1 per waiver pickup. How big is the league? Depending how deep the quality of waivers are you will want to hold back more or less. Plus holding back some will help with trades later from owners who inevitably don't think about that and spend their entire limit.

I'd use the whole amount in the Compiler, and then just budget accordingly. Good luck!

do you guys adjust the compiler for individual requests to try and accomodate the scoring for all the various leagues out there?

do you guys adjust the compiler for individual requests to try and accomodate the scoring for all the various leagues out there?

Requests? What mean you cmh? The Compiler includes options so the user can input their league scoring and create the cheatsheets based on the projections and that scoring. We have packed in as many scoring options as possible that can be applied to full season projections.