Sign in to follow this  
DaCommish

No-limit roster?

The league I run has always drafted 16 rounds, consisiting of 2 QB, 4RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 2 K and 2 DST. Now one owner wants to propose we go to a more open format, where there are no limits at any position. If we do make this change, I think we need to cut down the number of draft rounds to 12, 13 or 14 to prevent hoarding. For those who use this format, how many rounds work best? Is this a better system than the one we now use (I need convincing)? Also, any draft tips (like do I bother to draft a second QB)?

Ours is a 10-man league, redraft every year, combination TD and yardage scoring. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST plus one flex (RB, WR, or TE).

Thanks,

Da Commish

i've only ever played in one league that limited the amount of any position you can have on your roster... and i didn't really like it...

personally, i don't like the idea of having to carry 2 Ks, or 2 Ds... cause alot of times you can pick up quality ones off the WW...

most of the leagues i've been in have been 12 teamers, and have done anywhere between 15-18 rounds. I don't think hoarding is a problem, cause people are still going to draft backup RBs, QBs, and WRs...

also, having a longer draft, with no roster format kind of rewards the guys that do their homework more...

if you can only ever draft 4 RBs, everyone is going to want to get 4 guys they think are at least startable at the beginning of the season... but if you give someone an opportunity to draft a 5th RB, they're going to do a little more research, and take a flyer on someone they think really has a chance to play later in the season...

I have to question, did anyone draft Colston in your league last year? i couldn't image they did unless you drafted very close to opening day... guys like that go undrafted if you're limited to 4WRs...

I'm the guy who got Colston off the waiver wire in both of my leagues--smart! But, is that a bad thing for our league, since getting him via waivers added money to the kitty?

I'm the guy who got Colston off the waiver wire in both of my leagues--smart! But, is that a bad thing for our league, since getting him via waivers added money to the kitty?

your league has to decide whether that is a good or bad thing... it's how you want your league dynamics to be...

if it is a more casual league, w/ some guys that aren't as hardcore, limiting the rosters helps balance things out...

if the majority of the people in the league are on message boards, and scouring the internet for FF info every day, all year round, then some of those guys may appreciate being able to stash an extra RB or WR onto their roster that they think could really explode during part of the season...

you could do a transitional move, and just put a limit on the number of players at any given position instead...

instead of saying you must have 2 QB, 4RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 2 K and 2 DST

you could switch it to being you can't have more than 3 QBs, 5 RBs, 5 WRs, 3 TEs, 3 Ks, 3 DSTs...

still protects from the hoarding possibility, but gives a little more flexibility depending on how guys want to fill their roster...

I've only played in one league a few years ago where position limits were used and I thought it sucked. One week both of my starting WR's were injured and a third had a bye. I had to either take a zero or cut one of the starters. :dunno:

My 10 teamer starts with a 14 round draft, and the rosters expand to 15 after week 3 and 16 after week 6. We used to do a IR with a max of 3, but it was a pain to keep tabs on legitimate injuries. No position limits.

The league I run has always drafted 16 rounds, consisiting of 2 QB, 4RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 2 K and 2 DST. Now one owner wants to propose we go to a more open format, where there are no limits at any position. If we do make this change, I think we need to cut down the number of draft rounds to 12, 13 or 14 to prevent hoarding. For those who use this format, how many rounds work best? Is this a better system than the one we now use (I need convincing)? Also, any draft tips (like do I bother to draft a second QB)?

Ours is a 10-man league, redraft every year, combination TD and yardage scoring. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST plus one flex (RB, WR, or TE).

Thanks,

Da Commish

We draft 12 teams, no keeper, 15 rounds. No position count limits, but it's up to you to make sure that you can submit a legal lineup come gameday. I for example, refuse to carry 2 TEs or 2 kickers because after the top 5 theyre all equal anyway so if my guy is off or gets hurt then I hit the WW. Other people go the other way and get 2 guys they are comfortable with and stay off the WW. But its nice to have the option.

All good posts, guys--thanks! I just might be starting to soften my stance against this change. Does everyone agree that such an arrangement requires less than 16 rounds? If we keep 16 rounds, I expect the picks that used to go to a 2nd TE, K , DST and maybe even QB being used perhaps mostly on RB's, thus potentially removing a lot of viable RB's from the waiver pool (where we raise a lot of money via blind bidding). So, what is the ideal number of rounds?

All good posts, guys--thanks! I just might be starting to soften my stance against this change. Does everyone agree that such an arrangement requires less than 16 rounds? If we keep 16 rounds, I expect the picks that used to go to a 2nd TE, K , DST and maybe even QB being used perhaps mostly on RB's, thus potentially removing a lot of viable RB's from the waiver pool (where we raise a lot of money via blind bidding). So, what is the ideal number of rounds?

IMO 15 is plenty. If there is no cap on the number of RBs that can be taken they'll fly off the board.

I've been running my league for 13 years and have modified the format several times, but it's been pretty stable for the last 8 years. Each team keeps 2 players from the previous year. We draft 10 teams, 16 rounds, but have a limit of 5 players at a given position, so no one can hoard RB's. I usually graft 5 RB's, 5 WR's, 3 QB's, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 D. Sometimes I will draft 2 TE and 2 QB, but I always max out at RB and WR. The only IR rule we have is that the player going on IR MUST be on the NFL IR and of "keeper" status, so 16 rounds is necessary.

your league has to decide whether that is a good or bad thing... it's how you want your league dynamics to be...

if it is a more casual league, w/ some guys that aren't as hardcore, limiting the rosters helps balance things out...

if the majority of the people in the league are on message boards, and scouring the internet for FF info every day, all year round, then some of those guys may appreciate being able to stash an extra RB or WR onto their roster that they think could really explode during part of the season...

Good point, famousb. My league is more of a casual one, and I would not describe any owner as "hardcore" as you define it--some are anything but. Yet, most every year we gradually move toward becoming a more serious league, which is a good and natural evolution for a league such as ours that is over 15 years old. I see this open draft format, though, as a major departure; but, if it is what the group wants (as majority always rules on such changes), then I am starting to warm up to it thanks to this thread.

I am still a bit nervous, though, about potential hoarding if we keep 16 draft rounds, as I can foresee most everyone foregoing their backup TE, K and DST for more RB's and WR's, thus drafting as many as 7 RB's. I do like pimptastic's approach--draft 14 rounds (must be even to keep the serpentine format pure), and then allow rosters to expand by one after week 3 (in preparation for the start of bye weeks). This could generate a whole lotta cash from that week's waivers. Does this make sense, or am I still worrying too much about hoarding? Or maybe we keep 16 draft rounds and just impose a limit on RB's and WR's (5 or 6 each).

I've always had open format and you could draft 7 QB's if you wanted.

forcing people to select a certain # takes a lot of the strategy out of the draft.

I always leave the draft with one kicker, one TE and one defense and I pick other up along the way as needed. why waste a slot on a 2nd kicker or defense when you can pick one up after week 1?

my league drafts 18 players and is 15 teams. (16 last year)

I don't know that hoarding is that big of a problem in a more open format. I think it's more fair in some ways.

famousb was spot with the limit keeping the playing field at a lower level, but it really gives no one a solid reason to research deeply. Limiting the number of players at each position also puts someone in a rather unfair position if they get dinged with injuries. Suddenly they are using waivers because of the limits where they otherwise might have a ready backup.

Our re-draft is 14 players, and sometimes 15 or 16. We don't use limits except at kicker, defense, and a QB caveat. You cannot draft a third QB until the 13th round (I may be off on that rule, I have to re-read it every year.) :pointstosky:

If you are really concerned that hoarding will take place, or it actually does, I would considering bumping the number of WRs.

With 2 starting WRs, I think you leave yourself more prone to the hoarding concern.

Just a thought . . .

We have a similar issue in our league, We have a 12 team league aution style...(which I love) however, we seem to have alot of WW pickups...there are a few of us who are savy to the lesser known players, but every year there is someone who drafts a "kurt warner type" and it saves their season. I hate it because it doesn't reward the owners who do the homework. So we are propsing to have no wavire wire, and lengthen the roster slots from 18- to 25 adding 7 players... This works to the advantage of keeper league formats as well, as all teams will be more equal when it comes to youth.

I'm a RB hoarder. :dunno:

Out of my 16 player roster, I always have at least 6 RBs. Every week I check to see if any free agent RBs look appealing. That's how I won the league with Jones-Drew last year.

The other owners waste their rosters on too many WRs, spare TEs, and spare Ds. Screw em.