Sign in to follow this  
Justy2

Could the Raiders deal JaMarcus Russel to ATL?

I'm just thinking out loud here. Let's say Atlanta can rip up Vick's contract. Atlanta agrees to give Russel the 30 Million deal. Oakland recieves draft pick compensation say Atlanta's next two number ones. Oakland decides to play the year out with Culpepper and more than likely draft high again on their own accord next year. I think that JaMarcus can be seen as a saving angel coming to Atlanta after the Vick fiasco. Oakland management can turn a draft fiasco and a needless signing into the illusion of wheeling and dealing.

Would Atlanta have the cap room? I don't know. Does Atlanta really want Joey Harrington snapping the ball on day 1? I know the answer to this question. Any thoughts?

I'm just thinking out loud here. Let's say Atlanta can rip up Vick's contract. Atlanta agrees to give Russel the 30 Million deal. Oakland recieves draft pick compensation say Atlanta's next two number ones. Oakland decides to play the year out with Culpepper and more than likely draft high again on their own accord next year. I think that JaMarcus can be seen as a saving angel coming to Atlanta after the Vick fiasco. Oakland management can turn a draft fiasco and a needless signing into the illusion of wheeling and dealing.

Would Atlanta have the cap room? I don't know. Does Atlanta really want Joey Harrington snapping the ball on day 1? I know the answer to this question. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't happen. I won't go into the fact that the Falcons will, in no way, deal two firsts for anyone. There is also the deal that Oakland would be left with McCown, Walters and a very iffy Culpepper. I do not think Russell is the QB of the future and I would love to see Brohm in a Raiders jersey next year but I see no chance of that deal being done.

Lets see how many ways this cannot work. First of all no team (certainly not one that is going to be as bad as Atlanta this year) is going to deal two number ones for anyone. Secondly if they cut Vick they are only 5.3 million under the cap this year and lose another 15 million next year. That means given the numbers that Russell is asking for they would be paying around 20-22 million next year for QB position, or basically 1.75 times what Manning makes. They simply couldn't afford him. Lastly they will fix the QB problem in the draft this year and I"m pretty sure Petrino would prefer Brohm to Russell.

i suppose they could but the chances are about one in million. two first rounders (without knowing where in the first round) doesn't sound like that bad of a trade for the first overall pick. i guess the first pick probably loses some value after the pick has been made though. this doesn't really make sense to me but i think that it is the case. does anyone expect russell to come in as a rookie and light it up anyway?

what's the deal with someone saying that russell isn't the qb of the future? why did they draft him then?

i still can't believe these top ten or so rookie contracts. these guys are unproven in the nfl and are getting paid right alongside the elite players in the league. especially a rookie qb. you're going to pay him a ridiculous amount for him sit on the bench for a few years to go through his growing pains? all the time not knowing for sure if he will develop into the player that he was drafted to be?

Toke once and pass to the left! :headbanger:

Guest _my_2_cents_
Toke once and pass to the left! :headbanger:

Pretty much, yeah.

Not to mention that the Raiders drafted the QB of the future. CPep has maybe a couple years left on him....he is not the QB of the future.

There is simply no way this deal happens, nor would it particularly help either franchise. Raiders would still be without a QB and the Falcons see themselves as a contender. A rookie QB who wouldn't start for the Raiders isn't going to help ATL win now.

I think the Fans in Atlanta would love to see this but, I then again I think that they have a much better chance in holding a dog show in the dome. :headbanger:

Don't forget Al Davis is still in charge in Oakland. This will never happen.

I doubt Atlanta would do it. But I would try for Atlantas 1st and the Houston 2nd they got.

I'm starting to think whats the point of keeping a player you can't sign. These kids are making to much money to fast. But they are just looking out for their future. They need to stop supporting their intire family and friends. Start thinking about themselves. Take the money they got finish school and get a job.

The first problem with your scenario is that McCown is better than Culpepper. If the Raiders play out the year wthout Russell, they'll be playing it out with McCown as opposed to Culpepper.

I see no reason why Russel would be worth $30 million or two 1st round draft choices.

Only reason would be because we're talking about the #1 overall draft pick here. THat said, if I were Atlanta, I wouldn't give up two 1sts for JaMarcus.

I see no reason why Russel would be worth $30 million...

JaMarcus does. That's why he hasn't signed yet.

I only threw out two number ones as a raw number. Don't attach any significance to that.

Atlanta is looking more and more like they have no QB. So my question ultimately is if Oakland just can't come to terms with Russel does Atlanta try to make a play for him. If Vick goes to jail their season is in the toilet. Putting JaMarcus on the field is the same as Harrington with more of a future upside.

What do you do if you are Atlanta?