Sign in to follow this  
lsk6453

Pats acquire CB

The Patriots have acquired cornerback Dante Wesley from the Bears for a conditional draft choice, the Chicago Sun-Times reported today.

The Patriots are not confirming the report at this time, although it is believed that Wesley is en route to New England to take a physical.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has a history with Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, and the two have swung similar deals in the past. Wesley would add depth to the Patriots' defensive backfield, and should also be a factor on special teams.

Solid move by the Pats!

The Patriots have acquired cornerback Dante Wesley from the Bears for a conditional draft choice, the Chicago Sun-Times reported today.

The Patriots are not confirming the report at this time, although it is believed that Wesley is en route to New England to take a physical.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has a history with Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, and the two have swung similar deals in the past. Wesley would add depth to the Patriots' defensive backfield, and should also be a factor on special teams.

Solid move by the Pats!

More like solid move by the Bears for getting a draft pick for a fringe player / special teamer.

More like solid move by the Bears for getting a draft pick for a fringe player / special teamer.

It is a conditional pick which means that he would have to produce for the pick to have any value. So i see it as a win/win situation for both teams.

This means that Samuel is not going to be in a Patriots uniform for the first 10 weeks of the season.

Great, I can't wait to hear from Pats fans how good this guy is. And how they've had their eye on him for a few months. And on and on and on.

It is a conditional pick which means that he would have to produce for the pick to have any value. So i see it as a win/win situation for both teams.

This means that Samuel is not going to be in a Patriots uniform for the first 10 weeks of the season.

He's a decent special teamer, but was behind Hester on the DB depth chart. That means he has no business playing anywhere other than special teams. I doubt this has any bearing on the Samuel situation. He is not even a backup consideration for a serious team.

Great, I can't wait to hear from Pats fans how good this guy is. And how they've had their eye on him for a few months. And on and on and on.

Championship :shocking:

I doubt this has any bearing on the Samuel situation.

I agree. If anything, I would think this is just a result of the injury to Chad Scott.

How good is this guy on special teams? The Pats special teams wasn't up to snuff last year and this could be a move to bloster that area as opposed to the secondary.

How good is this guy on special teams? The Pats special teams wasn't up to snuff last year and this could be a move to bloster that area as opposed to the secondary.

Decent, but nothing to write home about. 50/50 whether he makes the Pats opening day roster.

August 07, 2007

Trade confirmed

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots have confirmed their acquisition of cornerback Dante Wesley, announcing the move. The trade is for an undisclosed draft choice.

Here is a bit from the press release:

Wesley, 28, is entering his sixth NFL season and has played in 71 career regular season games with two starts for the Carolina Panthers (2002-05) and Chicago Bears (2006). He has also appeared in 10 career playoff games. The 6-foot-1-inch, 210-pound cornerback has totaled 57 career tackles (40 solo), including one sack, 13 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 45 special teams tackles. Last season with Chicago, Wesley finished sixth on the team with 13 special teams tackles while adding a pair of stops on defense. He appeared in all three of Chicago’s playoff games last season - including Super Bowl XLI -- and finished second on the team with five special teams tackles during the postseason.

The Arkansas-Pine Bluff product was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the fourth round (100th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. As a rookie in 2002, he played in 13 games with one start and registered a career-high 28 tackles (19 solo) and a career-best nine passes defensed. In 2003, he played in every game for the Panthers and also participated as a reserve defensive back for Carolina in Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Patriots. The Pine Bluff, Ark. native played in 13 games in 2004 and ranked second on the team with a career-high 18 special teams tackles. In his final season in Carolina in 2005, Wesley played in all 16 games and totaled 12 tackles (11 solo) and eight special teams stops.

the rich truly get richer.....I cant believe the Pats couldnt get those guys to give them a pick. brilliant...positively brilliant!

:thumbsdown:

It also means that opposing offenses are stupid if they don't try to light that secondary up.

The Bears dealt Chris Harris away for a 5th rounder and now Wesley for a 6th/7th or so. 2 players that they would have cut in the next couple of weeks. :thumbsdown:

The Bears dealt Chris Harris away for a 5th rounder and now Wesley for a 6th/7th or so. 2 players that they would have cut in the next couple of weeks. :thumbsdown:

Correct.

Nice try, boss! NAAAAFLAC!

Bears | Team will not receive seventh-round pick from New England

Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:29:19 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the New England Patriots released CB Dante Wesley Saturday, Sept. 1. The move means the Chicago Bears will not receive the Patriots' seventh-round draft pick from their previous trade.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl