Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

I'm no rocket scientist

Yet another set of articles about how NASA is worrried about damage that might have been inflicted by the dreaded foam insulation falling off the SFRB and hitting the challenger. - The same thing that killed 7 astronauts and blowed up the Space Shuttle. So, here's my questions:

1) The SS was designed to withstand the rigors of space debris, massive heat fluctions and almost unthinkable friction. We can manufacture lightweight materials out of things like Titanium and other alloys and polymers that can withstand a direct tank blast.

....Yet FOAM - Yer telling me FOAM is the arch-nemsis of our $10 Billion space shuttle? :P

Thank GOD there's no Starbucks at JSC. "Extra Foam?" "No thanks, I'm afraid I might spill some on the Space Shuttle."

I'd hate to think the Chinese could take out the entire Shuttle fleet with a handful of Futons. :thumbsdown:

2) If say, the FIRST time this 'foam' fell off and killored 7 astronauts, and we know full well we can't do anything about it once it DOES damage the SS. Dontcha think maybe, just maybe, the plan should have been to uh, I dunno - find a way to affix the 'foam' in such a way as it NO LONGER FELL OFF during takeoff?

....I dunno, velcro, epoxy, - whatever. We can glue tiles on the SS that stay on the GD thing for dozens of years during the worst of circumstances, yet we can't keep some focking FOAM on a rocket for longer than 10 seconds? WTF??

Again, I'm not being critical. I'm sure there are some very smart people in the NASA, but really...

Just sayin..... :thumbsdown:

Foam is one of the more riskier means of protection.

They should just use a condom.

The most effective means, of course, is abstinence.

I believe it is the speed and force of the foam hitting the SS that causes the damage.

...Then we should do something about this "speed" you speak of. Why can't they just slow the rockets down? - Or make softer foam? Or, like I said before, find a way to keep the foam ON the damn rocket in the first place? Think man, think! You didn't hear Glen Armstrong whining about the "speed" when we went to the Moon, did you? "Ooh slow it down! I get car sick! slow down!" :cry:

Who the fock is Glen Armstrong?

Neil's brother. Glen was constantly worried that Neil would go too fast and hit some space foam. He tended to be a little light in the loafers. A real worry-wart. Fortunately, Neil paid him no mind. :cry:

You didn't hear Glen Armstrong whining about the "speed" when we went to the Moon, did you? "Ooh slow it down! I get car sick! slow down!" :cry:

Bluto: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

:pointstosky:

they should use that same space foam that they used to land on the rocky moon.

none if it ever seemed to fall off.

I wanna know what the astronauts are thinking right about now?

If I was up there, I'd be all "well, guess I'm staying in this space station for the next decade. Tell my family I love them"

Cause you KNOW that they remember that space shuttle that blew up. And to know that your shuttle is damaged worse than that one was, that can't sit good in their stomach.

I wanna know what the astronauts are thinking right about now?

If I was up there, I'd be all "well, guess I'm staying in this space station for the next decade. Tell my family I love them"

Cause you KNOW that they remember that space shuttle that blew up. And to know that your shuttle is damaged worse than that one was, that can't sit good in their stomach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKU0obXFiDQ

:pointstosky: