Sign in to follow this  
alwazefun

Why Aren't Auction Drafts the Norm?

Guest JahRasta311
Simple answer = the characters. Like a good football team (or FF team), they each had their role and each performed them admirably. Plus, any main character that grabs girls asses and akes on-screen "tinkles" is a :dunno: in my book!

Vivi FTW!!

Agreed = more than any other, FFVIII was a love-hate afair. I loved the Draw systems ability to alter stats, but I hated the Draw systems tedium. That was really the make or break point of the game, I think.

Matsuno at his best. Like a Jerry Rice catch or a Dan Marino spiral....a work of pure art.

VII is singularly distinuished for it's villain -- no one apart from Sepiroth is so good at being so bad!

(not even that mad clown, Kefka)

But it's kinda the "Barry Sanders' of FFs...all flash and highlight-reel, but no Champinoship....

QFT. I lost faith in the series after this game; FFXII has been a pleasant surprise....sorta like a (alright, enough with the lame football analogies)

lol, hilarious. Vivi is one of the best FF characters. What's your favorite character, if not Vivi? Mine is probably Sabin from FF6, I can never play through that game without having him as a permanent member of my party. The one thing I dislike about the games is that the players you use the most end up being your best characters, so you just end up using them more. I almost couldnt even beat FF10 because there was a part I was forced to use 2 of the dipshits I never touched, so I had to carry them through the boss battle. I never played Tactics on playstation but I do have Tactics advance. Did you ever play that one? and is the original better?

I must mention since we're on the topic that my favorite Square game isn't a FF game, it's a tie between Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, depending on my mood.

Nice contradiction.

When the NFL decides that every team should declare every player a free agent at the end of every season and assign a monetary value to each player and redraft the entire player pool then I will switch to auction. Until then it is a huge step back from mimicking the NFL.

Nice of you to pick and chose my quotes to try and make it look like a contradiction. Just because auction is a better drafting method doesnt mean I think that LEAGUES that use snake drafts are inferior. As I mentioned my main league is a snake and I dont consider it inferior at all. I just would prefer that we go to an auction format.

And are you really stupid enought to believe that a snake draft mimicks the NFL. Does the real NFL draft use a snake method? No. Are all the players up for selection for each team based on a snake draft method? NO. So how the hell does a snake draft mimick the NFL at all?

Like someone else said, the only way to really mimick the NFL is to have a dynasty league with contracts.

No need for you to get defensive. I still play in leagues that use snake drafts but I just cannot see any reason why someone would prefer a snake to an auction? Feel free to offer any if talking about the snake method doesnt get you to upset.

What are those valid reasons?

Once you get auctions down it doesnt take any longer than a snake draft. It does require a little bit more preparation but not really. IMO, to do well in a snake draft requires preparation as well.

I dont think anyone is acting like your leagues are inferior. People are simply asking a question. My main league is still a snake draft and from my experience people are unwilling to change to an auction because they think it will take too much preparation (LAZY). They have many misconceptions about what an auction entails (STUPID, sorry if this offends people but its just a word). Or they simply dont want to give up the snake format b/c that's what they're used to (Afraid of change).

So, thats my answer for why the majority of leauges havent switched oer to auction. Like I said I still play in snake redrafts as my main league is one but I did my first auction 2 seasons ago and if it was up to me all my leagues would be auctions. Its simply a fairer and superior drafting method in just about every way imaginable.

When you say one thing, and then say the opposite, THAT IS a contradiction. Inferior/superior are opposite words, as in they contradict each other.

Fantasy football was born mimicking the NFL. Mimic is a different word than copy.

The words serpentine draft have not come out of my mouth previously in this thread. My first post I said that it is difficult for those of us in keeper/dynasty leagues to make the switch.

My two main leagues are both keeper leagues. We keep four and draft NFL style for the first four rounds and then go serpetine. KEEP MEANS KEEP, and we honor the definition of that word. To make a change to an auction league would violate that agreement. We keep a core group of players like an NFL team does, thus mimicking the NFL. The reason my leagues will not switch has absolutely nothing to do with being stupid or lazy.

Im currently only in dynasty leagues that draft in normal rounds(not snake) much like the nfl save we have more rounds. For a redraft league i would agree that the norm is a snake draft and I see no problem with that( its generally fair and pretty straight forward), though I also like auction type leagues.Im not sure where the fantasy football skill is so different from the two however, as my feeling is an auction league brings into play more barter/auction skills to go along with football knowledge...which is fun but not as simply about football knowledge while a snake just includes a little math and guess work to plan out your draft strategy.

I think the snake draft is better at emulating the nfl style without losing a fair balance for building fantasy rosters..as doing a draft like my dynasty would be grossly unfair to redraft league owners.Auctions while not like the nfl, offer more intrigue as it becomes a game within a game.

For me, I like variation, some leagues I like better then others..but having them different is often what keeps me interested in staying in them...though i would admit, sometimes it would be awful nice to only have to prepare for one and be set for them all lol

theres my 2-cents

When you say one thing, and then say the opposite, THAT IS a contradiction. Inferior/superior are opposite words, as in they contradict each other.

Fantasy football was born mimicking the NFL. Mimic is a different word than copy.

The words serpentine draft have not come out of my mouth previously in this thread. My first post I said that it is difficult for those of us in keeper/dynasty leagues to make the switch.

My two main leagues are both keeper leagues. We keep four and draft NFL style for the first four rounds and then go serpetine. KEEP MEANS KEEP, and we honor the definition of that word. To make a change to an auction league would violate that agreement. We keep a core group of players like an NFL team does, thus mimicking the NFL. The reason my leagues will not switch has absolutely nothing to do with being stupid or lazy.

Its not a condradiction b/c I can differentiate between a LEAGUE and a DRAFTING METHOD. Just b/c a league uses what IMO is an inferior drafting method doesnt mean I think its an inferior league. If you dont understand that then we'll just agree to disagree.

And you say that the words serpentine never came out of your mouth yet your league does use a SERPENTINE method after the first four rounds of your draft. You could easily use an auction method for the rounds that you go serpentine but since thats essentially the 9th round then it probably wouldnt be worth making a change. But its your league and I really dont care how you draft. I am discussing auction leagues in general versus snake drafts in general not talking specifically about your league's setup.

For the purpose of this discussion I gave my answer and reasoning to the question of why arent auction drafts the norm and I stand by them. You apparently take offense to my belief that the reason why auction drafts arent the norm is b/c people are stupid, lazy, and afraid of change. So be it but keep in mind that just b/c I feel that is the reason that auctions arent the "norm" doesnt mean that I think everyone who doesnt use an auction draft is stupid or lazy.

Its great that you enjoy your league and think it mimicks the NFL but unless you have contracts with salaries that are relative to player performance, draft position, and years of service then your league doesnt really mimick then NFL all that well. The KEEP MEANS KEEP quote was pretty cute though.

Its not a condradiction b/c I can differentiate between a LEAGUE and a DRAFTING METHOD. Just b/c a league uses what IMO is an inferior drafting method doesnt mean I think its an inferior league. If you dont understand that then we'll just agree to disagree.

And you say that the words serpentine never came out of your mouth yet your league does use a SERPENTINE method after the first four rounds of your draft. You could easily use an auction method for the rounds that you go serpentine but since thats essentially the 9th round then it probably wouldnt be worth making a change. But its your league and I really dont care how you draft. I am discussing auction leagues in general versus snake drafts in general not talking specifically about your league's setup.

For the purpose of this discussion I gave my answer and reasoning to the question of why arent auction drafts the norm and I stand by them. You apparently take offense to my belief that the reason why auction drafts arent the norm is b/c people are stupid, lazy, and afraid of change. So be it but keep in mind that just b/c I feel that is the reason that auctions arent the "norm" doesnt mean that I think everyone who doesnt use an auction draft is stupid or lazy.

Its great that you enjoy your league and think it mimicks the NFL but unless you have contracts with salaries that are relative to player performance, draft position, and years of service then your league doesnt really mimick then NFL all that well. The KEEP MEANS KEEP quote was pretty cute though.

I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually moved from a draft format to an auction format and did NOT like the change.

An auction is the better method to distribute talent, all things being equal. Clearly, there are reasons for people to use a draft, especially in a casual league among distant, dispersed friends. The point remains, however, that if you are in a serious, dedicated, "redraft" league, your drafting position may give you an incredible advantage/disadvantage over the other owners BEFORE the draft even starts.

Some of you will whip out the old "but the guy in my league who had LT did not even make the play-offs." Sure, but after the first round he had a better "chance" to make the play-offs than anybody in your league. This year, the person in your league who had the number one pick gets the advantage.

Don't huff up your chest and get all defensive about the truth: auctions are better, all things being equal. It is not arrogant or brash to say...it is just the truth.

Drafts are fun, no doubt, but if you can do better, why would'nt you?

For the first time since starting my league in 1997, we are changing to auction format this year.

The biggest reason? Everyone loves the idea of having an equal shot at all players in the league. Of the 12 owners in my league, only one gave a half-assed "no" vote but stated he would go with the majority without question. Even the guy slated to pick #1 overall is welcoming the change.

There is a little apprehension regarding planning, difference in time, managing draft day (at least two owners will be across the country and participating online) and I would like to start a spin-off discussion to help assist me with my 9/1 draft.

I'm looking forward to it.