Sign in to follow this  
alwazefun

Why Aren't Auction Drafts the Norm?

I was looking around the web at Average Auction Prices and the amount of info out there is still miniscule compared to info related to snake drafts and ADP, and auction prices for start up Dynasties is non-existant. I started playing auctions a couple years ago and every year the amount of draft leagues I join decreases. This got me wondering why arent auctions gaining popularity faster, after my first year playing them I was hooked and assumed they would quickly become the standard for competitive FF leagues, especially for dynasty. I am curious as to peoples ideas as to why auction drafts have not became popular faster? And to people who still only(or mainly) play in snake draft leagues why you prefer them to auction leagues?

Guest JahRasta311

Too complicated. Way too easy to ###### yourself by spending too much money early on. NFL drafts aren't auctions. It's too hard to change because everyone has to agree. Who is gonna keep track of everything when everyone is wasted?

Too complicated. Way too easy to ###### yourself by spending too much money early on. NFL drafts aren't auctions. It's too hard to change because everyone has to agree. Who is gonna keep track of everything when everyone is wasted?

As far as being "too complicated" ... I like to think of it as added depth and strategy which makes the game more fun, increases the skill involved, and decreases how much of a roll luck plays in winning. Not "spending all your money early and ####ing yourself" is part of the increased skill and strategy ... more skill and less luck is a good thing. The NFL is only drafting rookies, when they acquire free agents its more of a bidding/auction system ... and I am all for leaving the NFL type rookie draft in place in dynasty auction leagues. I agree if you are in an established league it is probably very difficult to switch to an auction format ... My original post would probably be more applicable to start ups; especially dynasty start ups.

Simply - half the owners, in any given league, don't invest their time in FF like those of us on these boards.

Those owners plan to buy their FF magazine on the way to the draft, and call it a day.

Auctions are for people who know what they're doing and have put in the time to do the research. Most FF'ers aren't like that, and would prefer a simple snake draft where they can just call out the next name on their cheat sheet. But I think anyone that's serious about FF should be in an auction. If you know what you're doing, why would you let which players you can get be determined by draft order? :dunno:

I quit my long term high school buddies league this year when they wouldn't make the switch to an auction draft. :dunno:

I quit my long term high school buddies league this year when they wouldn't make the switch to an auction draft. :banana:

Me too! :thumbsdown:

You spell To-ma-to, I spell Toma-to.

Six in one, a half dozen in the other.

Whatever floats your boat.

There may be more.....

With all the "Drafting from the X spot" strategy posts you would think that they would be into FF enough that they would prefer the depth/strategy of auctions.

Because people are lazy, stupid, and afraid of change.

This is the case in the 12 team league that I run. We(I) brought up the suggestion that we switch to an auction this year. Six owners voted against it. Being afraid of change was the most popular excuse(along with the fact that most of them had never done an auction draft before).

I finally converted my league to an auction draft this year!!! We had our draft last week and it was definately better than a snake. The last hour was a drag, but overall it was about what I had anticipated. Every owner left the draft wishing they could of done things differently. I can't wait until next year's draft....I think it will go much smoother.

I think people are resistent to change. One owner left our long standing league b/c he refused to do an auction - he said it would take up too much of his time to prepare. In all honesty, it doesn't take that much longer. I like that you need to be more prepared. You can target guys you want and go get them. If you draw the number one pick in a snake this year, you immediately have an unfair advantage over the rest of the league....why anyone would not at least try an auction is beyond me. I guess if you don't really care and just want a team with minimal effort, auctions aren't for you.

Yep, another league of mine switched to an auction a few years ago. It was billed as a "one year" trial. We never went back to the snake method and it did go smoother in years 2 and 3.

As far as being "too complicated" ... I like to think of it as added depth and strategy which makes the game more fun, increases the skill involved, and decreases how much of a roll luck plays in winning. Not "spending all your money early and ####ing yourself" is part of the increased skill and strategy ... more skill and less luck is a good thing.

You've answered your own question. For everyone of us who spends hours preparing every season for fantasy football, there's probably 2 or 3 people who don't have the time or desire to get in that deep. If you're fortunate enough to have 12 people that are hardcore fantasy football nuts, then the auction is the way to go. I run a 10 team league, but 2 or 3 of the guys are of the pull a cheatsheet out of the magazine variety. Those people include my best friend and my dad. If I go to auction, I'm probably excluding the 2 people in the league I most enjoy spending time with.

Switching to an auction in redraft leagues is much more simple than switching a keeper/dynasty league.

I'd like to be in an auction league, but I know that my two main keeper leagues will never make the switch, nor would I ever vote for it.

Yep, the two main reasons cited are why we're still in a snake draft:

1. Owners afraid of the amount of preparation needed -- not just ranking the players, but judging how much they're worth and how many elite players you can afford, etc.

2. We have a very hard time getting everybody together in one place to do the auction. Not only do we have owners scattered around the country, but they've all got lives.

This year, in fact, we've done the entire draft by e-mail, and skipping the idea of "draft day" entirely.

Because people are lazy, stupid, and afraid of change.

I think afraid of change moreso than lazy or stupid in my opinion.

I wanna have an auction in my league but the rest of the owners are pu$$es who cry "it will take too long!" BTW, do auction take significantly longer than snake drafts?

I don't think that anyone is afraid to make the change, but rather making the change appears stupid to those of us who have not done it for valid reasons.

For those of you who like it great, but stop acting like the rest of us are in inferior leagues.

I don't think that anyone is afraid to make the change, but rather making the change appears stupid to those of us who have not done it for valid reasons.

For those of you who like it great, but stop acting like the rest of us are in inferior leagues.

What are those valid reasons?

Once you get auctions down it doesnt take any longer than a snake draft. It does require a little bit more preparation but not really. IMO, to do well in a snake draft requires preparation as well.

I dont think anyone is acting like your leagues are inferior. People are simply asking a question. My main league is still a snake draft and from my experience people are unwilling to change to an auction because they think it will take too much preparation (LAZY). They have many misconceptions about what an auction entails (STUPID, sorry if this offends people but its just a word). Or they simply dont want to give up the snake format b/c that's what they're used to (Afraid of change).

So, thats my answer for why the majority of leauges havent switched oer to auction. Like I said I still play in snake redrafts as my main league is one but I did my first auction 2 seasons ago and if it was up to me all my leagues would be auctions. Its simply a fairer and superior drafting method in just about every way imaginable.

I wanna have an auction in my league but the rest of the owners are pu$$es who cry "it will take too long!" BTW, do auction take significantly longer than snake drafts?

Significantly longer? Maybe by half an hour the 1st season but that's about it. We switched to an auction league in 2005 and will never go back to a re-draft. Re-drafts are yesterday's news.

Guest JahRasta311

I now know why auction drafts aren't the norm:

Because the only people that play in them are smug assholes.

Nice....

Auction drafts aren't the norm because you have too many people stuck back 10 years ago and aren't willing to change, period!

Guest JahRasta311
Nice....

Auction drafts aren't the norm because you have too many people stuck back 10 years ago and aren't willing to change, period!

Why should they change?

I haven't come across any problem with my draft leagues, if it's not broke there's no reason to fix it. Just let everyone do what they want, it doesn't effect you.

What are those valid reasons?

I dont think anyone is acting like your leagues are inferior.

Its simply a fairer and superior drafting method in just about every way imaginable.

Nice contradiction.

When the NFL decides that every team should declare every player a free agent at the end of every season and assign a monetary value to each player and redraft the entire player pool then I will switch to auction. Until then it is a huge step back from mimicking the NFL.

I like being a smug asswhole. :banana: :doublethumbsup: ;)

Guest JahRasta311
I like being a smug asswhole. :banana: :overhead: :banana:

:cry: why are you so mean to me? :cry:

Until then it is a huge step back from mimicking the NFL.

NFL doesn'f have a snaking redraft.

Free-agency is like Auction draft.

NFL draft is like a non-snaking draft in that every round has identical order (apart from trades).

To be truly NFL like, you need a contracted Dynasty league.

In short, you phail.

Guest JahRasta311
NFL doesn'f have a snaking redraft.

Free-agency is like Auction draft.

NFL draft is like a non-snaking draft in that every round has identical order (apart from trades).

To be truly NFL like, you need a contracted Dynasty league.

In short, you phail.

you fail because you said doesn'f.

you also fail because you think that he thinks that fantasy drafts are identical to nfl drafts.

he said it would be a major step back, meaning it would be further from nfl drafts.

you fail because you said doesn'f.

:thumbsdown:

you also fail because you think that he thinks that fantasy drafts are identical to nfl drafts.

Kweh?

He said he won't switch to auction-style until the NFL did. I said it, mostly, has been for years.

he said it would be a major step back, meaning it would be further from nfl drafts.

Double kweh?

His ec-sacked words were...."[Auction drafts are] a huge step back from mimicking the NFL."

Yeah, no.

Guest JahRasta311
:thumbsdown:

Kweh?

He said he won't switch to auction-style until the NFL did. I said it, mostly, has been for years.

Double kweh?

His ec-sacked words were...."[Auction drafts are] a huge step back from mimicking the NFL."

Yeah, no.

are you a chocobo?

are you a chocobo?

Glad you got the reference.

But I'll reiterate; snaking drafts can't be said to "mimic" the NFL. At all.

I do think auction draft's are "fairest" for FFL-ers, and I can only fathom that "it's traditional" is the the reason the majority of leagues use the snaking method.

Guest JahRasta311
Glad you got the reference.

But I'll reiterate; snaking drafts can't be said to "mimic" the NFL. At all.

I do think auction draft's are "fairest" for FFL-ers, and I can only fathom that "it's traditional" is the the reason the majority of leagues use the snaking method.

Nobody doubts that auction drafts are the fairest and whatnot, but there is a lot of preparation and you have to gameplan differently than for a regular draft.

I'm not knocking auction drafts, I just don't understand why you "auction guys" can't just let us redraft guys be? If we want to change our leagues, we will. But I already know that the majority of my league's members wouldn't go for it if I said I wanted to make it an auction draft this year. Maybe if I sent all my members in here to read all the advantages, they might want to switch, but whatever, don't make us feel inferior just because we have a different league than you. I don't rag on people that play PPR or IDP.

Kupokupopo.

Yeah, been redraft for five years now.

Petitioned for auctions (to break things up) but been voted down.

It's nothing to me; fun either kweh!!

(groan)

Guest JahRasta311
Yeah, been redraft for five years now.

Petitioned for auctions (to break things up) but been voted down.

It's nothing to me; fun either kweh!!

(groan)

so since this topic is pointless, what's your favorite FF?

Ooo, good question!

I'm rather partial to FFIV (aka FF2 in America).

That said, I felt FFIX was the most 'fun' I've had in the series.

FFVII has a special place, but (in retrospect) is not deserving of as lofty a place it enjoys.

I'm 90% through with FFXII, and I'm greatly enjoying it, through it's quite a departure from the rest of the series.

...but my favorite FF of all time might just be FF Tacitics. Broken jobs? Yeah, maybe. Grossly engaging. Um, hellz yeah!

Guest JahRasta311
Ooo, good question!

I'm rather partial to FFIV (aka FF2 in America).

That said, I felt FFIX was the most 'fun' I've had in the series.

FFVII has a special place, but (in retrospect) is not deserving of as lofty a place it enjoys.

I'm 90% through with FFXII, and I'm greatly enjoying it, through it's quite a departure from the rest of the series.

...but my favorite FF of all time might just be FF Tacitics. Broken jobs? Yeah, maybe. Grossly engaging. Um, hellz yeah!

Why was 9 the most fun you had? I thoroughly enjoyed 9 because it was a breath of fresh air from #8 which I'm torn between loving and hating.

My favorite is 6/3US.

FF7 was amazing, I'm actually playing through it right now on PC, but I agree that it's hard to match how awesome it was when I first played it.

My least favorite was FF10, I can't believe that piece of crap bore the FF name.

Why was 9 the most fun you had?

Simple answer = the characters. Like a good football team (or FF team), they each had their role and each performed them admirably. Plus, any main character that grabs girls asses and akes on-screen "tinkles" is a :dunno: in my book!

Vivi FTW!!

I thoroughly enjoyed 9 because it was a breath of fresh air from #8 which I'm torn between loving and hating.

Agreed = more than any other, FFVIII was a love-hate afair. I loved the Draw systems ability to alter stats, but I hated the Draw systems tedium. That was really the make or break point of the game, I think.

My favorite is 6/3US.

Matsuno at his best. Like a Jerry Rice catch or a Dan Marino spiral....a work of pure art.

FF7 was amazing, I'm actually playing through it right now on PC, but I agree that it's hard to match how awesome it was when I first played it.

VII is singularly distinuished for it's villain -- no one apart from Sepiroth is so good at being so bad!

(not even that mad clown, Kefka)

But it's kinda the "Barry Sanders' of FFs...all flash and highlight-reel, but no Champinoship....

My least favorite was FF10, I can't believe that piece of crap bore the FF name.

QFT. I lost faith in the series after this game; FFXII has been a pleasant surprise....sorta like a (alright, enough with the lame football analogies)