Sign in to follow this  
nobody

I don't like what I saw from Cedric Benson

I think Chicago got a lot of attention last year for making the Super Bowl (obviously) and also by scoring a lot of points (427 - tied with Indianapolis).

Don't forget, this team is only 2 years removed from being DEAD LAST in the NFL in scoring - averaging 3.9 yards PER PLAY.

Benson is the starting RB on a team that has a great defense - he should definitely be considered - but I would lower the expectations for Chicago's offense this year.

benson doesn't seem to read plays very well. and then gets tackled by the first defender that he meets. reminds me of julius jones. although if he gets enough carries, he will score some FF points.

benson doesn't seem to read plays very well. and then gets tackled by the first defender that he meets. reminds me of julius jones. although if he gets enough carries, he will score some FF points.

but i think the bears oline is so good that he'll rack up the yardage

Benson is the undisputed starter in Chicago but Peterson will see his share of carries in relief. IF Benson continues to run all pansy-ass like he has so far in the pre-season then it opens the door, even if only a crack, for Peterson. Should Peterson run his ass off (as he has done in his brief appearances in the past) there will be a RB controversy in Chicago. You have to play the guy who is getting the job done, regardless of where he was drafted. Where would the Patriots be today if they had given 1st round pick Bledsoe the starting job back after his injury because he was drafter higher than 6th round pick Tom Brady? This is a business and its all about winning.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this is going to happen and I'm not at all saying Peterson is the same caliber player as Brady, I'm only comparing playing time based on draft position.

Benson is the undisputed starter in Chicago but Peterson will see his share of carries in relief. IF Benson continues to run all pansy-ass like he has so far in the pre-season then it opens the door, even if only a crack, for Peterson. Should Peterson run his ass off (as he has done in his brief appearances in the past) there will be a RB controversy in Chicago. You have to play the guy who is getting the job done, regardless of where he was drafted. Where would the Patriots be today if they had given 1st round pick Bledsoe the starting job back after his injury because he was drafter higher than 6th round pick Tom Brady? This is a business and its all about winning.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this is going to happen and I'm not at all saying Peterson is the same caliber player as Brady, I'm only comparing playing time based on draft position.

Maybe on another team....this team is sticking with Grossman remember.

people can say it's preseason all they want but the fact is he got 19 carries for 33 yards against an average D. getting that many carries, you'd think he'd eventually get some yardage (even if he is a "second half back"). if he keeps getting that kind of production in the 1st half, there won't be a second half to dominate because they will be behind. i don't think you can just write off a performance llike that because it's preseason. i didn't like what i saw against the colts either. they guy nose dives like ron dayne used to do on the giants the second he gets hit.

I own Benson from the previous 2 years of a keeper league.

I really considered holding on to him this year for a 3rd round pick. We start 3 RB's.

In this time all I've seen is poor attitude, injury ridden, and inability to break tackles upon initial contact.

Sure he is destined to get mucho carries but I really dont believe he can last half the year before he goes down with an injury. I will not be holding on to him as a keeper this year. Rather take another RB or star WR.

Nothing that I've seen (cumultively) would suggest that there is any greatness in Cedric at all.

I will not draft him based soley on faith or would be potential just because Chicago is supposed to be a smash mouth, run the ball in your gut offense.

Bears homer here...

My honest opinion on what I've seen on Ced Benson...he just flat out isn't that good. He doesn't have any vision...he just trys to run people over. Thing is...he basically gets tackled or falls down after doing this. He has no elusive moves whatsoever.

I look at it this way when I see a young RB. Last year, I remember watching a New England game and saw Maroney for the first time. He caught a short pass up the middle, made a 5 yard play into a 35 yard play by taking it out to the sidelines. I literally said "wow!" The more I watched him, he made these type of plays. Cedric Benson has NEVER "wowed" me on any play. This is the 4th pick in the first round, mind you. I just don't see anything special in Benson. But the Bears have to keep giving him the ball since he's getting paid a ridiculous amount of money

Adrian Peterson is going into his 6th year and has spent almost all his career as a 3rd-stringer. The idea that the Bears are going to give up on a guy they drafted 4th overall to make AP the starter after 3-4 games is pretty hard to take seriously. Benson may be no better than William Green, but he's going to get every opportunity to succeed. We're talking about a team that won't give up on Rex Grossman for Pete's sake.

AP has been a standout ST player and is a big contributor in the locker room. Don't underestimate the amount of respect they have for him. Don't underestimate the talent he has either. He can run the rock and has done so effectively whenever asked. He has just been buried in the depth chart. That said, don't under estimate the respect the Bears have for the $35million they are paying Benson either. There is no question who will be the #1. Benson will be fine if only because they will feed him the ball 20-25 times a game. He has been running into holes looking to blow someone up. Once, and if, he ever get the idea that he could break one open, he will start to put up better starts. For right now he has been trying to wear down the defenses.

Pre-Season counts for something....

LAMONT JORDAN

who cares what he did at texas. here is the deal. he is not a number 1 but a nub. 2 he wll get 85% of caries for the bears and you cannot beat that. as for adrien peterson, yes he did get put in and scored but i guarantee benson will get those carries.

he is a grouchy fella, never seems happy but who cares when he gets you 10-12 tds this year.

i picked him up in the 3rd round with my 29th pick. very happy as my second RB to LJ and still was able to get harrison with 2nd and walker with 4th

after my draft i picked up peterson off of waivers

i am thinking that chicago will turn into a RBBC and peterson will be a good rb3 some weeks by week 4 or 5.

benson was drafted mid 2nd round in my league. prolly a chicago fan.