Sign in to follow this  
RS79

Drafting out of the 10 Hole....

OK, i have pick ten out of ten and I have been wavering for a while about my draft strategy.

Start 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1D, 1K. Non ppr

I am debating going RB, RB, WR, WR.......... or RB, RB, WR, QB.

I always start out RB, RB. But this year i may do somethign different.

I now may go RB, WR, RB, WR. The RB's around 10-14 or so are tough to call. i could pick two busts and ruin my season. if i choose one WR in this spot, at least i know i have a lock top 5 guy, then pick a jacobs or portis type and take the risk.

How has everyone drafted out of this spot? How did it turn out? Any strategies that paid off?

I drafted 10 in one league with the standard setup you have. I ended up taking W. Parker and Maroney the first time through. M. Lynch and Roy Williams the second time through. D. Branch and V. Young the third time though. L. Jordan and Mark Clayton the fourth time through. From there it's a crapshoot.

The only change in strategy I had was to not get hung up on ADP. With so much space between picks (assuming its snaking) you have to take the guy you want if he's there. Otherwise he'll probably be gone. I drafted Young at the top of the sixth. That's pretty early, but the league is 4 pts. for a passing TD and 6 pts. for a passing TD, which makes him pretty valuable. I could have waited and hoped he'd be there at the bottom of the 7th round, but didn't want to risk losing him.

7-10 I like to go RB RB or RB WR depending on who's left. Come back in Rd 3 with WR or RB (or Gates) and grab Bulger or Brees with 1st pick in round 4.

I drafted from the 10 spot about 2 weeks ago in a 12 teamer, somehow Addia fell to me, I was extatic here's how my first 4 rounds went

Addia

McGahee

Housyermama

Jacobs

You can't decide on your draft strategy before the draft.

You hve to take what comes to you. Sometimes you have to go against your plan - Especially if someone falls to you that you didn't expect.

In a draft that I had saturday night, I didn't plan on taking a WR @ 3.5 But, Steve Smith fell to me, so I had to take him.

You're not going to win your league by forcing your pick every round. You have to be able to improvise, or you'll probably lose.

You can't decide on your draft strategy before the draft.

No, but depending on where you are drafting in Round 1 (Top3, middle 4, or final 3) you can get a very good idea on what sort of players you can expect to be there just by looking at some mock drafts. Sure, be ready to take a player if by some fluke they fall way past where they should be going off the board, but unless you are drafting with a bunch of rookies that is not usually the case.

Also, if you know where players are normally going off the board you can easily target them by round. For instance, if Brees/Bulger/Brady are still sitting there in round 4, I know they are not going to be there in round 5. If I still need a QB, I am most likely going with one of them because I will already have either RB RB WR or RB WR RB from Rds 1-3. If there are still WR or RB that are very draftable there I can shift and settle for Rivers/Romo/Kitna a few rounds later.

No, but depending on where you are drafting in Round 1 (Top3, middle 4, or final 3) you can get a very good idea on what sort of players you can expect to be there just by looking at some mock drafts. Sure, be ready to take a player if by some fluke they fall way past where they should be going off the board, but unless you are drafting with a bunch of rookies that is not usually the case.

Also, if you know where players are normally going off the board you can easily target them by round. For instance, if Brees/Bulger/Brady are still sitting there in round 4, I know they are not going to be there in round 5. If I still need a QB, I am most likely going with one of them because I will already have either RB RB WR or RB WR RB from Rds 1-3. If there are still WR or RB that are very draftable there I can shift and settle for Rivers/Romo/Kitna a few rounds later.

Drafted last night in the 10 spot (12 Team) same scoring as yours and ended up w/ this:

1. (10) Willie Parker RB

2. (15) Brian Westbrook RB

3. (34) T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR

4. (39) Javon Walker WR

5. (58) Antonio Gates TE

6. (63) Matt Hasselbeck QB

7. (82) DeShaun Foster RB

8. (87) Santonio Holmes WR

9. (106) D.J. Hackett WR

10. (111) Ladell Betts RB

11. (130) Kevin Curtis WR

12. (135) Green Bay DEF

13. (154) Correll Buckhalter RB

14. (159) Jeff Wilkins K

15. (178) Ronald Curry WR

16. (183) Tony Hunt RB

17. (202) Rex Grossman QB

18. (207) Greg Olsen TE

19. (226) Tennessee DEF

20. (231) Rob Bironas K

Don't like my second D, but getting Gates in Round 5 was a surprise....you gotta take who you want b/c they most likely won't be there on the way back around.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Drafted last night in the 10 spot (12 Team) same scoring as yours and ended up w/ this:

1. (10) Willie Parker RB

4. (39) Javon Walker WR

5. (58) Antonio Gates TE

9. (106) D.J. Hackett WR

12. (135) Green Bay DEF

14. (159) Jeff Wilkins K

16. (183) Tony Hunt RB

18. (207) Greg Olsen TE

19. (226) Tennessee DEF

20. (231) Rob Bironas K

Don't like my second D, but getting Gates in Round 5 was a surprise....you gotta take who you want b/c they most likely won't be there on the way back around.

Hell of a team. Gates a solid value pick there...right where I think he should be taken by most people. That he goes 2 rounds higher consistently is amazing.

1. (10) Willie Parker RB

4. (39) Javon Walker WR

5. (58) Antonio Gates TE

9. (106) D.J. Hackett WR

12. (135) Green Bay DEF

14. (159) Jeff Wilkins K

16. (183) Tony Hunt RB

18. (207) Greg Olsen TE

19. (226) Tennessee DEF

20. (231) Rob Bironas K

This is a good team.....Wow, You'll get crushed without good RB's. Westbrook will be hurt the entire season and Parker is crying already because the team has opened the offense up... And you have second option wr's

in a 14 team QB heavy (QBs almost as valuable as RBs) I went

Westbrook

MJD

Fitzgerald

Gates

Top 4 look great

Later got Balt D and Vernon Davis

But I am horribly weak at QB

picked 9th out of 10 in mine, almost the same situation. i'd go rb, rb, then depending on who's available, rb/wr, and then donald driver. then pick up a qb in the 5th, maybe romo, kitna, or leinhart. jmho.

picked 9th out of 10 in mine, almost the same situation. i'd go rb, rb, then depending on who's available, rb/wr, and then donald driver. then pick up a qb in the 5th, maybe romo, kitna, or leinhart. jmho.

Spoken like a true Sooner. Makes perfect sense. :music_guitarred:

I picked 10 of 10 traditional snake draft last night, we start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1Def, 1K:

1 Rudi Johnson

2 Reggie Bush

3 TO

4 Antonio Gates

5 Roy Williams

6 Anquan Boldin

7 Vince Young

8 D Angelo Williams

9 Lendale White

10 Santonio Holmes

11 DJ Hackett

12 Ben Roethlisberger

13 Vikings D

14 Leon Washington

15 Jason Elam

I did something that I have never done but I decided to put the pressure on the rest of the league. Considering all the top tier players were gone I went RB, RB, RB, RB. I thougth what the hell did I just do but I'm not too unhappy with it.

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Edge James

Ronnie Brown

At that point I really can go after best available. My team did not turn out that bad. Considering there were some late round things that make you go hmmm by the other drafters.

Vince Young TEN

Ben Roethlisberger PIT

Willie Parker PIT

Rudi Johnson CIN

Edgerrin James ARI

Ronnie Brown MIA

Chris Brown TEN

Adrian Peterson (CHI) CHI

Deion Branch SEA

Lee Evans BUF

Darrell Jackson SF

Chris Chambers MIA

Greg Jennings GB

Dallas Clark IND

Josh Brown SEA

Miami Dolphins

I did something that I have never done but I decided to put the pressure on the rest of the league. Considering all the top tier players were gone I went RB, RB, RB, RB. I thougth what the hell did I just do but I'm not too unhappy with it.

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Edge James

Ronnie Brown

At that point I really can go after best available. My team did not turn out that bad. Considering there were some late round things that make you go hmmm by the other drafters.

Vince Young TEN

Ben Roethlisberger PIT

Willie Parker PIT

Rudi Johnson CIN

Edgerrin James ARI

Ronnie Brown MIA

Chris Brown TEN

Deion Branch SEA

Lee Evans BUF

Darrell Jackson SF

Chris Chambers MIA

Greg Jennings GB

Dallas Clark IND

Josh Brown SEA

Miami Dolphins

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Edge James

Ronnie Brown

Vince Young TEN

Ben Roethlisberger PIT

Willie Parker PIT

Rudi Johnson CIN

Edgerrin James ARI

Ronnie Brown MIA

Chris Brown TEN

Deion Branch SEA

Lee Evans BUF

Darrell Jackson SF

Chris Chambers MIA

Greg Jennings GB

Dallas Clark IND

Josh Brown SEA

Miami Dolphins

This is a good team.....Wow, You'll get crushed without good RB's. Westbrook will be hurt the entire season and Parker is crying already because the team has opened the offense up... And you have second option wr's

Wow. Thanks for your great post.

Westbrook will be hurt all season? Why was he the 5th best RB in Fantasy last year?

How could he possibly have gotten that many points - if he was hurt all year?

Save your personal biases for somewhere else.

Maybe you can try to atleast make a little sense next time? Just a little? OK.

Guest _my_2_cents_

so you posted it 3 times?

the delete key - itsatip. :rolleyes:

12 team league, from 10th position got:

qb McNabb

rb T. Henry

rb M. Jones-Drew

wr Javon Walker

wr Hines Ward

te Shockey

k Joe Nedney

D Dallas

rb L. Betts

rb C. Buckhalter

wr Amani Toomer

wr Joe Horn

wr Joey Galloway

wr Mike Furrey

qb Jake Delhomme

te Randy McMichael

d Jets

Picking at the turns is kinda neat because you are really in a position to dictate the following rounds to a great extent. For example, by going WR/WR at the 3/4 turn, I started a WR run that let some of the good QBs fall to the 5th round (Bulger at 5.1, Kitna and McNabb at 5.6 & 7....wish one of 'em lasted a little longer, tho!). Here's how I ended up:

Westy

Bush

Fitz

Housh

Caddy

Hasselbeck

VD

Edwards

Tatum

Santonio Holmes

Roethlisberger

BJax

Ike (Probably shoulda taken a 2nd TE here, but whatever)

Mare

Hackett

MIN

Drafted 10/10. Traded my 10th and 11th picks for 4th and 17th picks. League starts 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K:

S. Alexander

MJD

D. McAllister

Tom Brady

Deion Branch

Caddy Williams

L. Coles

M. Hasselbeck

Chris Cooley

J. Galloway

Mark Clayton

Jerricho Cotchery

Arizona Defense

Michael Pittman

Olindo Mare

in my league, we can trade draft pics, so there was alot of trading, and wrs fly off the board in the 2-3 rounds, also its an IDP league which rely heavy on tackles...so heres wat i did

1.10 - shaun (no clue how he fell to me, but no complaints)

2.1 - steve smith

3.10 - andre

5.3 (traded down from 4.1 bc there were still edge, willis, jacobs, benson, ap, lynch still on the board)

so i ended up with jacobs, who im really high on and would take him and benson over anyone

5.10 - ray lewis

6.1 - antonio pierce

7.10 - jamal lewis

8.1 - keith brooking

9.10 - marc clayton

10.1 - betts

10.7 - romo

11.10 - chambers (steal)

dont remember the rest off hand

I got

Bush

Maroney

R.Williams

McNabb

Caddy

A.Peterson

V.Jackson

Edwards

Cooley

I had the 10th pick in a twelve team league; ...I know I need some luck with my RBs and you would expect that when you take a QB in the 1st round BUT I think they'll get it done. Championship?? lol

1.10 P Manning

14.03 B Favre

4.03 J Lewis

5.10 L Jordan

11.10 C Brown

3.10 C Portis

6.03 H Ward

2.03 M Harrison

7.10 J Galloway

12.03 E Kennison

10.03 D.J. Hackett

15.10 Brandon Jones

9.10 C Cooley

13.10 J Brown

8.03 D Bears

Drafted 10th in a 12 team league, 3 WR, no flex

Ended up with:

Bulger

Green

Henry

T. Jones

L. Jordan

T. Bell

M. Bell

L. Washington

C. Johnson

S. Moss

S. Holmes

DJ Hackett

J. Jones

A. Battle

Martin

Mare

Baltimore D

I was #10 in a 12 man and am quite happy with the turnout:

Rudi

Reggie Bush

Roy Williams

Fitz

Brandon Jackson

Plaxico Burress

John Kitna

Kevin Curtis

Chester Taylor

Kellen Winslow Jr.

for the first 10 picks PPR QB 2RB 3 WR mandatory TE.