Sign in to follow this  
cavern

gave wayne and got LJ in a new dynasty league

basically a newbie owner panicked and sent a searching email to the league for offers for LJ. I offered Wayne and he accepted. should i feel bad?

does it matter that i'm the commish of the league? that it's a dynasty league? when i saw that email go out i jumped afraid someone would beat me to the opportunity

it's done now, i'm not going to go back and noone's asking me to. the only discomfort is when i speak to people they bring it up as "almost unethical". just wondering about opinions on the matter

basically a newbie owner panicked and sent a searching email to the league for offers for LJ. I offered Wayne and he accepted. should i feel bad?

does it matter that i'm the commish of the league? that it's a dynasty league? when i saw that email go out i jumped afraid someone would beat me to the opportunity

it's done now, i'm not going to go back and noone's asking me to. the only discomfort is when i speak to people they bring it up as "almost unethical". just wondering about opinions on the matter

They said "almost" unethical. You're okay.

It's early in the season. Plus, you didn't give away Amani Toomer for him. Sheesh. Looks fine to me.

There's nothing wrong with that deal in a dynasty, in fact I think it may favor him. LJ is 29 and his team is deteriorating around him. Wayne will be top 5 WR for many years. Don't feel bad at all.

I agree with Octopus. RBs have a shelf life of 3 to 5 years tops. WRs can be productive for as much as twice as long. I think the noob might have thrown one past you. I'd say fair trade, nothing unethical at all.

lets examine what the chiefs will be doing the next 2 years to improve their team... do you think they are going to waste alot of draft picks to fix the o-line... probably not, usually you can coach o-lineman to be better..

weakness's

WR- they addressed this with dwayne bowe this year but expect them to use a 2ndor 3rd pick next year

QB- damon huard is the starter, but if i was edwards i would feel uneasy that huard and croyle are the best the chiefs have

CB- the aging patrick surtain, ty law is an issue they need to address soon, they might draft a CB in the 1st rnd

FS/SS- can anyone name their safties... enough said

so you can see that LJ will not be rushing 1700+ yds for the next 3 yrs.

To answer your question, nothing is wrong with that trade. It's all about need and preference.

In response to everyone trashing you for giving up Wayne for LJ...LOL. Please remind yourself that it's only week 3 and Wayne has started great and LJ has started slow, your opinion is totally skewed. Would you draft Wayne before LJ? Nope. If you had the 6th or 7th pick would you be happy that LJ fell...probably. Would you even consider Wayne or any other WR at that spot? Nope.

I guess the Dyansty factor does hurt the LJ side but it really all depends on the makeup of each team. Give him a break, that could be a great trade...at least for this year anyway.

thanks for the responses.

i, too, thought i did not do anything wrong.

as for who came out ahead, i think there are some here that may be overreacting to the 0-2 chief start. or maybe i am underreacting, only time will tell. in my world the chiefs are favorites this weekend and could go to 1-2 and start to turn things around a bit. afterall, they've been limiting his touches to work himm back in and he's still averaged over 10 points a week in our format.

for discussions sake, i have a stable of receivers that includes randy moss and was struggling at running back (lost brandon jacobs and norwood was my #3). at less than 1000 carries on his career, i would expect johnson to last a few years anyway. so i'd do the trade again in a heartbeat. the guy's not going to do it when LJ gets back on track so it was now or never.

thanks again for the responses, i have peace of mind knowing that not only did i not unfairly take advantage of the guy, but that he might have gotten the better end of the deal. after all i am commish and he is new and the league is new...the people who have griped at me merely wish they had done it first

First, dynasty formats have totally differnet strategies. If I joined a new (first year) dynasty league this year - I would draft Wayne before LJ (meaning I would grab a different back in the 1st round and Wayne in the 2nd). You usually have three types of owners in a dyansty league:

1) Those who treat it like a redraft and never win

2) Those on the other end of the spectrum who have all rookies and no one with any consistency

3) Owners who can balance performers with a crop of rookies that hopefully step up within 1-2 years

In response to everyone trashing you for giving up Wayne for LJ...LOL. Please remind yourself that it's only week 3 and Wayne has started great and LJ has started slow, your opinion is totally skewed. Would you draft Wayne before LJ? Nope. If you had the 6th or 7th pick would you be happy that LJ fell...probably. Would you even consider Wayne or any other WR at that spot? Nope.

I guess the Dyansty factor does hurt the LJ side but it really all depends on the makeup of each team. Give him a break, that could be a great trade...at least for this year anyway.

First, dynasty formats have totally differnet strategies. If I joined a new (first year) dynasty league this year - I would draft Wayne before LJ (meaning I would grab a different back in the 1st round and Wayne in the 2nd). You usually have three types of owners in a dyansty league:

2) Those on the other end of the spectrum who have all rookies and no one with any consistency

3) Owners who can balance performers with a crop of rookies that hopefully step up within 1-2 years

to continue the conversation my rb's / wr's now are

Rb'S: LT2, LJ, Jacobs, Norwood, morency, selvin young, kenton keith, michael turner (start 2 +1 flex)

Wr's: randy moss, san holmes, brandon marshall; james jones, anthony gonzalez

so i admit i got a good bit weaker THIS year at receiver, but i got much stronger at rb. and i feel i have enough up and coming receivers for future years. plus i was trying to envision starting BOTH wayne AND gonzalez in the future after marvin's phased out

I totally agree about the Dynasty strategy, but who is to say that this guys team doesn't already have the balance for this year and future years. Maybe he has a few young stud RBs for the next few years, but needs that stud for this year. Wayne for LJ might be a good move.

Just because it is a Dynasty doesn't mean Wayne is more valuable than a RB most consider to be top 5 for this year. Like I said, the quality of the trade depends mostly on the makeup of the teams involved. Most responses on this thread say the LJ side loses...probably more due to the fact that Wayne has outscored LJ in the first two weeks than some commplex Dynasty strategy.

Rb'S: LT2, LJ, Jacobs, Norwood, morency, selvin young, kenton keith, michael turner (start 2 +1 flex)

so i admit i got a good bit weaker THIS year at receiver, but i got much stronger at rb. and i feel i have enough up and coming receivers for future years. plus i was trying to envision starting BOTH wayne AND gonzalez in the future after marvin's phased out

Hmmm...that's a tough one. I see why you wanted another RB, but given your WRs, I would have liked to keep Wayne. It might work well for this year if Moss keeps it up, and you are pretty set at RB for the future even if LJ drops off quickly. LT should be great for at least a few more years, and Turner has a great shot at being a stud depending on where he lands next year.

Hmmm...that's a tough one. I see why you wanted another RB, but given your WRs, I would have liked to keep Wayne. It might work well for this year if Moss keeps it up, and you are pretty set at RB for the future even if LJ drops off quickly. LT should be great for at least a few more years, and Turner has a great shot at being a stud depending on where he lands next year.

well, we only start 2 wr's.

yeah, between holmes marshall and jones i would hope to be able to get a decent one each week.

certainly i'm banking on moss "keeping it up" - but i just don't see the patriots letting anything dissolve there.

(btw LJ has less than 1/2 the career carries of LT2)

Well, with those RBs - you can always make another move down the road for a WR.

And your WR corp is not that bad - I am high on Santonio and Jones and Gonzalez could pan out quite nicely. I don't know if you allow the trading of draft picks but you definitely have a lot of wiggle room. How many teams in your league?

well, we only start 2 wr's.

yeah, between holmes marshall and jones i would hope to be able to get a decent one each week.

certainly i'm banking on moss "keeping it up" - but i just don't see the patriots letting anything dissolve there.

(btw LJ has less than 1/2 the career carries of LT2)

Oh, I agree, this move could end up being good for you. I wasn't saying LJ will drop off, I was saying you are still fine IF he does.

I like LT better than LJ in the future because of his team, not the # of carries. But you have both so who really cares.

Well, with those RBs - you can always make another move down the road for a WR.

And your WR corp is not that bad - I am high on Santonio and Jones and Gonzalez could pan out quite nicely. I don't know if you allow the trading of draft picks but you definitely have a lot of wiggle room. How many teams in your league?

there are 12 teams in this league.

i'm weakest right now at qb: garrard, leinart, smith...

and team defense: bengals...