Sign in to follow this  
Guest _my_2_cents_

Underrated players pre-season, still underrated?

Guest _my_2_cents_

In one of my leagues someone sent me a lowball offer of Kevin Jones & Brandon Jones for TJ Houshmenzadeh.

I thought it was an entry offer, testing the water. I politely told him "thanks, but I need more for that for Housh.

He withdrew the offer and posted to the league "wow are you overrating Housh. I think you watched that commercial one too many times. Hey everyone, can you believe how much this guy overrates a WR2?".

:banana:

I mean, what's the guy gotta do, double backflips with a twist when he catches the ball? I drafted him as a WR1 in one league and a WR2 behind Wayne in another - both PPR. In both he's been a top scoring WR. 3rd overall at WR to be exact behind Chad Johnson and Randy Moss.

3 games he has 260 yds, 4 TDs. Only Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress have more TDs (5) and he has the most targets (46, double digits ahead of anyone) and as a result the most receptions (29) in the league.

:dunno:

How is it that he's so undervalued? Is it because he's the #2 on his team? Does that even matter when he's outscoring all but 2 WRs in the NFL? :overhead:

I just don't get it. I thought this guy was PPR gold and spoke of him highly in the preseason as a top 10 WR who didn't get the respect that say, Reggie Wayne gets...now I'm positive of it.

Guest _my_2_cents_

Any other examples like this? Housh can't be the only guy who is underrated even while producing...:thumbsup:

I wouldn't trade away Housh for Kevin Jones and Brandon Jones either.

Kevin Jones got very few touches. He's coming off LisFranc Injury and when Deuce Staley tried to came back from that he was completely ineffective and often deactivated. I wouldn't give up a proven player for him at this point in time.

Plus, what's this guy's problem, posting it on the message board for everyone in your league to see and his comments about your decision to HIS offer. RIDICULOUS.

Obviously Housh is more valuable to him as well since he made the offer.

I suggest just forgetting about it. Why should you care or get worked up over it? It will only take years off your life.

:cheers:

I'd nominate S. McDonald (29 points in 3 games in my league, which is pretty good for a WR) of Detroit for being one of the most undervalued. I'm guessing he's been grabbed in most leagues, but if not, I'd claim him or try to trade for him in a NY minute. Calvin Johnson of Detroit hurt his back last week (see article below), and if he's out for a week or two I'd expect McDonald's numbers to get even better.

CBSSports.com Rotoworld

Lions rookie WR Calvin Johnson is unsure if a back injury will prevent his playing Sunday against the Bears. Johnson, the No. 2 pick in April's draft, was injured during Detroit's 56-21 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles when he landed hard on his back while catching a pass. "I went up for it and got spun around, and obviously, hit pretty hard," he said Monday. "I've never had anything like this, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm getting treatment and we'll see what happens." Lions coach Rod Marinelli said tests only showed bad bruising, and Johnson was moving very gingerly at the team's practice facility on Monday. Marinelli said he considers Johnson day to day.

(Updated 09/24/2007).

FANTASY ANALYSIS

Johnson has 10 catches for 189 yards and two touchdowns in three games. When he plays, he's worth starting as at least a No. 3 Fantasy WR. Monitor his status for the upcoming week, and don't let the matchup against the Bears scare you from using him (his back, though, is another story).

Punt... And find a guy who knows how to trade, and doesn't get all pissy when his "wing and a prayer" trades don't get accepted... LOL MB

Guest _my_2_cents_

Yeah, well - didn't mean to fixate on the toolbox in the league. :unsure:

Getting past the example, in general terms what players out there are producing like crazy but don't have great perceived value?

Yeah, well - didn't mean to fixate on the toolbox in the league. :first:

Getting past the example, in general terms what players out there are producing like crazy but don't have great perceived value?

Edge?

Braylon?

Anquan?

MBIII?

:wall:

I'd definitely go with Braylon there.

I went with Harrison/Wayne at 2/3 and picked Edwards up later because I knew Evans would probably start slow and had the same Week 6 bye as the Colts duo.

With SJax out, I've been unsuccessful in trying to shop him this week. Most owners reply back to me that they want "something more than" Edwards.

I'd almost put Jordan in the list, too. I know I've considered making some offers, but his back, Rhodes, and last year's performance all make me wary of making a move for him considering what I'd have to give up for him. That's probably just my personal perception vs. widespread perception of value, though. He could very well be "back" as a solid option.

Driver seems to be underrated year after year. I guess he's just not "flashy" enough.

;)

I forgot about him. He's always underrated and he will finish top 10. In fact, I'm hoping his owner underrates him as I make an offer for him to get another elite receiver to go along with Housh.

Another underrated (consistently, from year to year) performer is Hasselbeck. Unless I can get awesome value for a McNabb or someone similar during the draft, the vanilla but steady Hasselbeck will always be there in the 8th or 9th round, and he will put up top 10 numbers.

Braylon Edwards and Edge. Clearly Edge is the best example I can think of. People just either like him or don't, and if they don't then they refuse to let performance change their minds.

Lamont Jordan - some posters on this board have actually stated that Dominic Phodes will take the feature role when he comes back in Week 5.

Clinton Portis - some still actually claim he is in a RBBC

Shaun McDonald - while he still may techincally be #4 on his own team, he puts up #2 numbers, but no one will touch him in a trade (I'm guessing)

Jon Kitna - some still see him as "Jon Kitna"

Jamal Lewis, Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow - they play for Cleveland how could they be any good?

Brandon Marshall - no buzz on him at all

Matt Shaub - performing as a borderline #1 QB even w/o Andre

Brandon Marshall - no buzz on him at all

Clearly, you haven't seen the Baby TO man-love threads that have populated this board. ;) In fact, I think that he's becoming one of those non-sleeper sleepers - you know, a sleeper that works out so well that everyone starts to overrate him. Kinda like Jerious Norwood during the drafts this year.

I gotta agree with Kellen Winslow. He caught like 80 balls last year, but nobody had him in the top 5 TE this year? He contiues to post 6-75-1 weeks yet no love.