Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

Anyone remember Fred Taylor in 2001?

One of the most frustrating injuries i ever dealt with in ffootball. diagnosed as missing 4-6 wks and it dragged on the whole rest of the yr. Fred hurt his groin/tear wk 2 and didnt come back until wk 16 i think.

Freds supposedly was more severe than sjax but anytime it has to do with a groin it is BAD BAD NEWS. When a rb cuts and changes direction it greatly affects the groin area.

Bottom line I would be extremely nervous if i were a sjax owner. I will say 2months minimum he is out. With the rams losing there will be no need to rush him back.

sorry for the grim and depressing news.......cornkobb :thumbsdown: = sjax

If I am not mistaken, didn't Taylor completely tear his groin off the bone and miss the entire season? That is just a bit different than what Jackson is dealing with.

wasn't that the play where fred literally dropped/threw the ball on the ground when it happened? right in the middle of his run. the ball didn't slip out. he literally let it go and grabbed his groin. i assume it was pretty painful. i don't blame him, i just remember that play because of the way he just let go of the ball.

Bettis had a similar situation in I believe 2000....he missed huge amount of time and ended up trying to play in a playoff game only to get a bad pain killer shot that numbed his entire leg and kept him out of the game vs. Baltimore the year after they won the bowl.

On ESPN radio they were saying they were hearing it atleast 4 weeks as its a tear and I just saw this on USA Today

Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Steven Jackson has a 40 percent tear of his groin.

He's out two weeks at a minimum. The Rams have listed Jackson as "week to week," but the possibility seems real that he could miss a month of action.

Sep. 26 - 12:18 p.m. ET

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

On ESPN radio they were saying they were hearing it atleast 4 weeks as its a tear and I just saw this on USA Today

Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Steven Jackson has a 40 percent tear of his groin.

He's out two weeks at a minimum. The Rams have listed Jackson as "week to week," but the possibility seems real that he could miss a month of action.

Sep. 26 - 12:18 p.m. ET

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

It will linger.....trust me. At 1st it was out vs Dallas, then out 2-3wks, now a report of at least a month.

40 percent tear vs fred taylor in 2001 of 80 percent tear.... not much difference imo.

and yes.... it was the play in 2001 where he threw the ball up in the air after the injury vs the titans.....i sadly remember his stats 4carries 20yds.... 1catch 10yds.....ughhhhhhhhh

Hopefully this doesn't linger, I traded Bush for SJax and Lee Evans. I don't really need RB help and I'm putting up lots of points so far, so I'm willing to gamble on some upside for now. Even if he doesn't come back until week 10 or so, if he starts lighting it up, it'll be worth the wait.

If I am not mistaken, didn't Taylor completely tear his groin off the bone and miss the entire season? That is just a bit different than what Jackson is dealing with.

You are correct. Corn on the cob is just trying to stir up controversy.

Fred Taylor tore his groin muscle so severely that it ripped the adductor tendon right off the bone.

Conversely, Jackson suffered a tear of such a mild degree that he actually kept playing the game even after the injury.

It's only now, post-game, as a precaution and because it's a real injury, that he's going to miss some time.

It will linger.....trust me. At 1st it was out vs Dallas, then out 2-3wks, now a report of at least a month.

40 percent tear vs fred taylor in 2001 of 80 percent tear.... not much difference imo.

I'm no Dr or math whiz, but an 80% tear is twice as much as a 40% tear. But that's just my funky math I guess.

I'm no Dr or math whiz, but an 80% tear is twice as much as a 40% tear. But that's just my funky math I guess.

I believe Taylor was 100% off with that injury. If I remember correctly he went to IR that week. He wasn't a lingering maybe he will come back injury.

Found this from old ESPN article:

Jacksonville Jaguars starting tailback Fred Taylor will be sidelined for at least three weeks by a severe groin injury, coach Tom Coughlin said Monday.

One team source termed the three-week estimate "very optimistic" and hinted that Taylor could miss more time than that. An MRI exam indicated that the abductor tendon was at least partially detached from the bone.

Taylor, 25, was injured in the second quarter when, without even being contacted, his left leg collapsed. So painful was the injury that Taylor simply dropped the football as he ran into the middle of the Tennessee defense, and the Titans recovered the fumble. Taylor is not expected to begin full-scale rehabilitation until the swelling subsides, and he likely will be on crutches for a while.

After the game, Taylor said that he felt "like (his) body split in half."

Sounds a bit different then someone who has a partial tear, plays a bit more, then they say week-to-week. But again, that's just me. :unsure:

Found this from old ESPN article:

Jacksonville Jaguars starting tailback Fred Taylor will be sidelined for at least three weeks by a severe groin injury, coach Tom Coughlin said Monday.

I believe this was the initial article game night. Again if I remember correctly after the MRI a total disaster was discovered and he was put on the IR. It is a dead horse at this point but the Jackson injury is nothing like the 2001 Taylor injury. Not saying Jackson won't miss significant time, but the two are not comparable.

I believe this was the initial article game night. Again if I remember correctly after the MRI a total disaster was discovered and he was put on the IR. It is a dead horse at this point but the Jackson injury is nothing like the 2001 Taylor injury. Not saying Jackson won't miss significant time, but the two are not comparable.

Yes anotehr article pointed out how much more severe it was.

How in the hell do you come up with that?

You are correct. Corn on the cob is just trying to stir up controversy.

Fred Taylor tore his groin muscle so severely that it ripped the adductor tendon right off the bone.

Conversely, Jackson suffered a tear of such a mild degree that he actually kept playing the game even after the injury.

It's only now, post-game, as a precaution and because it's a real injury, that he's going to miss some time.

mambo....your missing the point. I am not trying to stir stuff up. I originally said in the first post that freds injury was worse but these groin things really linger on. Sjax is a running back as we know and stopping,starting,and changing directions, going from 1st gear to 4th gear is tough on a groin tear.

He will be out at least 2mo in my opinion.....take it for what its worth......

I might add I was wrong on fred coming back wk 15. He remained out for the season. He was not ir'd as I recall he was trying to come back throughout the season. "Interviews with him throughout yr of his rehab attempt".

However......the jags never brought him back..... they had a 6-10 season so they preserved there prized rb investment of fred taylor and didnt risk it.

Sound familiar StLouis.... 0-3 start..... franchise rb in sjax.

Fred went on to have a strong 2002 with 1300plus rush 8tds and 49 catches.

If stlouis is out of the playoff race dont be surprised???? Just a thought.

As a SJax owner I would say that I am 100% concerned about a groin tear. I could care less if it is 40% or 80% or 22.35% torn this is not a good situation. My only hope is that somehow Leonard actually performs well in SJax's abscence. I however think this is entirely unlikely, and not because Leonard is not a good RB. My main concern is the fact that the Rams offense is beyond hope at this time and even a 100% SJax wasn't scoring top 10 RB points.

I owned Taylor back then. I own Jackson now. I've had a groin injury playing Ultimate Frisbee, a sport with some similar motions, at least from a cutting standpoint. The thing lingered for months. Now, these guys have better medical access than I do, of course, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if Jackson didn't come back until after the STL bye. :ninja:

In HS i pulled my groin muscle and fought through the injury because it was my senior year. I felt like it would take weeks or even months to heal when i pulled it, 3 days later i went for a jog and the pain was lingering but nothing that i couldnt fight through. it took a good month before my groin felt completly normal again and i guess i was lucky to not reinjure it. with that said im not a professional athlete with a huge contract, im just saying that if sunday was the super bowl mr. Jacksonwould without a doubt be playing. IMO the rams realize where there at in the season and will wait til SJAX is 100%. Be ready for him to come back strong in about a month. take that for whatever its worth... :banana:

Guys, Taylor's was a complete tear. As in the groin muscle tore completely away from the bone. That is one of the worst injuries you see in the NFL. Now I don't doubt S-Jax will be out more than 1-2 weeks, but it's nothing like Taylor's 2001 injury.

I had a partial groin tear a few years ago. I was walking around fine after a few days, but it was at least 3 weeks before I could exert enough to run near full speed again.

I'd expect S-Jax to be hampered even if he returns after 1-2 weeks.