Sign in to follow this  
mainev3nt

Maroney Update

Rotoworld.com

Belichick: Maroney to be game-time decision

Patriots coach Bill Belichick indicated Friday that Laurence Maroney (groin) is "getting closer," but "will probably be a game-time decision" in Week 6.

Maroney has been practicing in a limited fashion for the last three weeks now, so nothing has really changed this week except ESPN's John Clayton predicted he would play Thursday. Maroney looks more likely to play this week, but we'd only use him if you have other roster options among late games. Oct. 12 - 11:45 am et

Source: Boston Globe

Rotoworld.com

Belichick: Maroney to be game-time decision

Patriots coach Bill Belichick indicated Friday that Laurence Maroney (groin) is "getting closer," but "will probably be a game-time decision" in Week 6.

Maroney has been practicing in a limited fashion for the last three weeks now, so nothing has really changed this week except ESPN's John Clayton predicted he would play Thursday. Maroney looks more likely to play this week, but we'd only use him if you have other roster options among late games. Oct. 12 - 11:45 am et

Source: Boston Globe

This plays out decently for Billy. I believe Maroney is really hurt but the gtd makes it more difficult for Dallas. What if he's healthy enough to go on Sunday and hits the holes full speed when Dallas is trying to cover the multitude of weapons at WR and TE? Man, I'd hate to gameplan against the Pats. Heck, Dallas' offense isn't that easy to gameplan for either I suppose.

Should be a good game. I'd say Pats beat them down if it wasn't in Dallas. Homefield plays big in this game IMO.

I have Maroney but will not even think about starting him. If he breaks a big run for a td and has a big game, I don't feel bad b/c the percentages were against that happening.

This plays out decently for Billy. I believe Maroney is really hurt but the gtd makes it more difficult for Dallas. What if he's healthy enough to go on Sunday and hits the holes full speed when Dallas is trying to cover the multitude of weapons at WR and TE? Man, I'd hate to gameplan against the Pats. Heck, Dallas' offense isn't that easy to gameplan for either I suppose.

Should be a good game. I'd say Pats beat them down if it wasn't in Dallas. Homefield plays big in this game IMO.

I have Maroney but will not even think about starting him. If he breaks a big run for a td and has a big game, I don't feel bad b/c the percentages were against that happening.

So is Morris still a good play this week?

There's a slim chance he will play, but even if he does he will not have a stellar game, considering the strength of the Dallas D is stopping the run and blitzing the QB. Even if they are planning to drop 2 safties always and switch a combination of zone/man coverage, they still will not be able to cover NE's WR's. Their safties cant cover they are just hard hitters (yea roy williams... cant cover Moss) , on the other hand Terrance Newman and Henry(is he playing?) are pretty good coverage corners, but moss will just slap them aside and get downfield 20yds. The only way DAL has a chance to stop brady is the safties are going to have to step up and help cover the wideouts. I hope Phillips doesn't plan on blitzing alot, the Chargers tried that and it didn't work.

There's a slim chance he will play, but even if he does he will not have a stellar game, considering the strength of the Dallas D is stopping the run and blitzing the QB. Even if they are planning to drop 2 safties always and switch a combination of zone/man coverage, they still will not be able to cover NE's WR's. Their safties cant cover they are just hard hitters (yea roy williams... cant cover Moss) , on the other hand Terrance Newman and Henry(is he playing?) are pretty good coverage corners, but moss will just slap them aside and get downfield 20yds. The only way DAL has a chance to stop brady is the safties are going to have to step up and help cover the wideouts. I hope Phillips doesn't plan on blitzing alot, the Chargers tried that and it didn't work.

there's always a chance. it doesn't matter what areas of Dallas' defense looked strong in the past, they'll be a wet tissue this week. they're only hope is to outscore NE b/c they won't stop them defensively. I can see NE being able to run the ball much better than Dallas and if Maroney is on the field, he's a threat to go all the way. Dallas has to respect the pass 1st. They have to.

Not to pimp another site but anyone following this should take note of anything David Yudkin at FBG posts about it. He has a guy who knows things about the Patriots and has nailed the Maroney situation the last couple weeks.

ARRRRRRRRRRGHHH!

I hate Coach B. Love Coach B. Hate Coach B. Love Coach B.

Guest _my_2_cents_

I remember before the season that my ONLY concerns with Maroney were:

1. health - he had 3 seperate injuries (chest, ankle, shoulder) that sidelined him for parts of games last year. As a 1st rounder that concerned me.

2. He's on the Pats, who lie about injuries every week as a gigantic F U to the league office. See #1

I hate GTD's :shocking:

I have both Morris and Maroney

You're all set, then. I wish I had them both. I have Morris, but unless I hear Maroney's out, I'm starting Ahman or Wright. I have Jordan, too, but he'll be on the bench.

You're all set, then. I wish I had them both. I have Morris, but unless I hear Maroney's out, I'm starting Ahman or Wright. I have Jordan, too, but he'll be on the bench.

Even if Maroney's playing he will be limited and Morris is still a good start, billechick is a mastermind of exploiting the opposing teams strengths/weaknesses. Dallas will be playing alot of 2 deep safety man/zone coverage and Morris will be utilized and pound the ball a ton to set up play-action intermediate-long passes quite often. Ahman Green isn't a good start at all facing the JAX's front 4, and it seems Zack Thomas's return has ignited that Miami Def, plus Wright isn't a stud back and CLE will depend on the passing game. Reconsider Morris over the two, because if maroney plays morris will still get the bulk of the carries.. probably something like 15-18carries for morris and 10-12 for maroney (if maroney plays), if not morris will get 20-25 carries.

I start Bush at my other RB spot so it comes down to Morris and Maroney. We probably won't know if Maroney is going to play until five minutes before the game starts. If he is playing I have a feeling he eats into Sammy's production enough to make both of them just marginal starts for the week. Plus i don't want to make the wrong decision and have the other player I didn't start do better. There is nothing worse than making the wrong call on your starter and watching your other guy you left on the bench go off for the week.

Not to pimp another site but anyone following this should take note of anything David Yudkin at FBG posts about it. He has a guy who knows things about the Patriots and has nailed the Maroney situation the last couple weeks.

He's thinking Maroney sits this week.

Even if Maroney's playing he will be limited and Morris is still a good start, billechick is a mastermind of exploiting the opposing teams strengths/weaknesses. Dallas will be playing alot of 2 deep safety man/zone coverage and Morris will be utilized and pound the ball a ton to set up play-action intermediate-long passes quite often. Ahman Green isn't a good start at all facing the JAX's front 4, and it seems Zack Thomas's return has ignited that Miami Def, plus Wright isn't a stud back and CLE will depend on the passing game. Reconsider Morris over the two, because if maroney plays morris will still get the bulk of the carries.. probably something like 15-18carries for morris and 10-12 for maroney (if maroney plays), if not morris will get 20-25 carries.

You're probably right. None of my other players look like good starts, and if what I hear is true, and Maroney sits, I'll be very happy.

Maroney will probably sit, whats one injury to a RB that you cant reaggrevate... a groin injury. They really dont need him right now in the season, and billechick wants a healthy maroney for later in the season when it gets cold and the running game becomes more of a factor in their offensive scheme. Right now the Morris/Faulk combo is getting the job done.

"Maroney expected to play against Cowboys "

The Boston Herald reports that the "smart money" is on Laurence Maroney (groin) playing Sunday afternoon against Dallas.

The paper speculates that the Patriots have been extremely cautious with him "because they can." Maroney spoke with reporters Friday, and usually doesn't talk during the weeks he's not expecting to play. He was also running routes in practice without a noticeable limp. The Pats call him a game-time decision, but it'll be a surprise if Maroney is inactive for Week 6. Oct. 13 - 11:16 am et

Source: Boston Herald

Maroney owners check in right before game-time on his status leading up to the game.

Maroney=Inactive

Really? Link please?

This is the most recent i've heard thus far -- doesn't sound great, but nothing official.

Patriot RB Laurence Maroney (groin) was limited in practice again Friday, and coach Bill Belichick said he will "probably be a game-time decision" for Sunday's game against the Cowboys, the Boston Globe reports. Belichick said Maroney is "making progress" and "getting closer," which doesn’t sound extremely optimistic for this week. RB Sammy Morris would again start if Maroney is inactive.

I'm just saying that all the back and forth with Maroney's and Rudi Johnson's status is a bunch of gamesmanship and these guys will be deactivated tomorrow. That would for the best for the team (not everyone's fantasy team).

I will be worse if they are active, people start them, and they either are ineffective or aggravate their injuries. All I'm saying is that these teams do not care about our fantasy football teams, and it will be better in the long haul of the season to keep these two guys shut down a little longer and I strongly believe this is what will happen tomorrow.

Better be careful or the accuracy police are gonna getcha round here.. Rudi is actually listed as probable.. here's more "hunch" detail. You can't just say a guy's "inactive" though dude.

Bengal RB Rudi Johnson (hamstring) was able to work out on Friday and is listed as probable for Sunday's game against the Chiefs, according to the Cincinnati Inquirer. The paper reports that Johnson will likely split time with backup RB Kenny Watson on Sunday.

From CBS SPORTSLINE....

"The Boston Herald reports Saturday that RB Laurence Maroney, sidelined the last two games with a groin injury, will likely play Week 6 at Dallas. The Patriots list him as questionable, and head coach Bill Belichick called him a game-time decision. "(Belichick) said it’s a gametime decision? Then it’s a gametime decision. There we go," said Maroney.

(Updated 10/13/2007)."

Now they're saying he's out.

"According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Patriots running back Laurence Maroney will not play tomorrow in Dallas. Maroney made the trip with the team, but will miss a third straight game with a groin injury. He had been considered a game-time decision.

In his place, backup Sammy Morris seeks his third straight 100-yard outing."

Boston Herald