Sign in to follow this  
Jwood

Bears homers - What can we expect from Tank?

I know I'm just leaving this wide open for some smarmy ass comments, but here goes:

This is the first game he's playing as a Cowboy. What can we expect from him? Can he get to the quarterback or is he primarily a run stopper? Is he someone that commands the double team? Is he a team player? Does he play hard?

Tank is a monster....its unfortunate what happened....wish he was still here. He can do both, stop the run and get to the QB....But dallas is switching him to nose tackle, he played DT here so who knows....

He dose play hard and he is definitely a team player.... most, if not the whole team said they support him.

i'm excited to have Tank. if he keeps his nose clean, he is a huge boost to the Cowboys D. The run D is already good, now it will be great!

Weapons charges.

That took over 5 minutes for a smarmy comment. I was thinking it would be 2-3 minutes.

As a Chicagoian and a Bears fan I can tell you without doubt Tank Johnson is an average DT. There is nothing he does outstanding and nothing he does that is a definite weakness. He pursues well with a good motor, he does a good job hitting the 0 and 1 gaps and can get there quickly. If he hits the gap well he can definetly get to the QB, but playing the noise will not play well for Tank. He gets stood up on his bull rush, does not play or roll off blocks well and definetly not a double team canidate that a stout noise needs to be.

I dont think he's a bad pickup at his price and I believe he is a good teammate. But a new system, added pressure and coming off suspension I dont see him being anywhere near a monster. But he'll make a few plays and seems to get them at crucial situations in a game.

You'll be disapointed if you think he is Tommie Harris or a top 10-15 DT in the league. That being said he is young and has upside and could be a very good DT in his late 20's early 30's to the tune of being a top 10.

Good gamble, but dont expect much this year and next.

You could prolly expect some late nite motel meetings between Tank, Michael Irvin and Nate Newton. :thumbsup:

I laughed out loud at work and snot flew out of my nose on that one. Thanks alot.

Weapons charges.

:wub:

Seriously though, he's a quality DT that can both rush the passer and stop the run. He would definitely be starting next to Tommie Harris had he stayed out of trouble. I do question exactly how he'll fit in as a 3-4 NT considering he's not known as being a huge guy with a lot of strength. Given Lovie Smith prefers lighter, quicker DL to shoot the gaps and cause pressure, it seems as though he's moving to a polar opposite system. :overhead: