Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Early rookie draft for 2008

Dynasty owners, I know it's early, but what are the top 20 picks looking like at this point? Consensus seems to be McFadden as the top RB, but who else is making the list at the QB/RB/WR positions?

Dynasty owners, I know it's early, but what are the top 20 picks looking like at this point? Consensus seems to be McFadden as the top RB, but who else is making the list at the QB/RB/WR positions?

In no particular order, these are some guys I am looking at, and it is IDP so I threw some LB in there. This of course is assuming some of these players declare for the draft...

QB

Colt Brennan

Brian Brohm

Dennis Dixon

Matt Ryan

Andre Woodson

RB

Jamaal Charles

Mike Hart

Chris Johnson

Felix Jones

Darren McFadden

Rashard Mendenhall

Steve Slaton

Jonathan Stewart

WR

Adarius Bowman

Harry Douglas

Early Ducet

DeSean Jackson

Malcom Kelly

Mario Manningham

Limas Sweed

TE

Chase Coffman

Fred Davis

Martin Rucker

LB

Dan Connor

James Laurinaitis

Sean Lee

Keith Rivers

In no particular order, these are some guys I am looking at, and it is IDP so I threw some LB in there. This of course is assuming some of these players declare for the draft...

RB

Jamaal Charles

Mike Hart

Chris Johnson

Felix Jones

Darren McFadden

Rashard Mendenhall

Steve Slaton

Jonathan Stewart

Ray Rice?

It is an incredibly weak draft class this year.

Seniors, yes but if the junior WR's and RB's come out it will be big. However, a lot of the bigger names will bust I beleive. Slaton, Bowman, Sweed, etc. will bust as others will shine.

I don't know that there has ever been a really strong senior draft class since underclassmen have been allowed to enter the draft. It seems that the would be senior studs usually opt to leave a year early as juniors (AD, Lynch, Calvin from last year).

The senior class always gets supplemented with a few stud JR's, and this year will be no different. I think we'll see all the JR QB's stay in school because of the strength of the SR class, but we'll see quite a few JR RB's and WR's enter the draft. Most notably McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, and Ray Rice at RB.

I inherited a bad team in a 12 team PPR/IDP dynasty league and it hasn't gotten much better since I've been there. I'm easily looking at a top 3 pick, maybe #1 overall and should have 3 picks out of the top 13-15. It's 25 man rosters so stuff out there is slim and I HAVE to hit on my draft choices to turn this POS team around.

I inherited a bad team in a 12 team PPR/IDP dynasty league and it hasn't gotten much better since I've been there. I'm easily looking at a top 3 pick, maybe #1 overall and should have 3 picks out of the top 13-15. It's 25 man rosters so stuff out there is slim and I HAVE to hit on my draft choices to turn this POS team around.

get mcfadden at whatever cost. did you, by chance, see the S.C. v arkansas game? WOW :dunno:

get mcfadden at whatever cost. did you, by chance, see the S.C. v arkansas game? WOW :first:

Oddly, I'm hoping I fall into the #1 spot so I can grab him. Would be sweet to have the #1, roughly #9-12, and #13 picks. I need an explosive RB and WR combo.

Guest _my_2_cents_

No mention of Justin Forsett? :unsure:

This kid looks like the real deal - I've heard him described as a can't miss NFL prospect. is it just that the Pac 10 gets no love? :dunno: He's an impressive runner and receiver, he has power and great vision. I think he'll step right into an NFL program and excell ala Marshawn Lynch before him.

Also Jonathan Stewart is a Jr I think....dunno if he's coming out for sure? He should - he's a beast.

I've heard him described as a can't miss NFL prospect.

Yikes...was that his mom or brother who described him as such? Forsett, like Mike Hart, is a great college player, but doesn't project well. He's smaller than Hart and doesn't have elite speed, either. Both can be surprisingly tough between the tackles for their size, but that won't fly at the next level. I watched a first-and-goal series against Oregon State where the door was slammed on him by their unspectacular defense on four consecutive carries. Forsett hasn't been significantly involved in the passing game, but he probably has a better skill set than Hart as a receiver/returner for a change of pace type role.

It's pretty much all underclassmen, assuming they all declare, as the class of this RB class:

Darren McFadden

Felix Jones

Jonathan Stewart

Ray Rice

Rashard Mendenhall

Steve Slaton

Jamaal Charles has been one of the hottest producers in the nation and has elite speed, but I'm not sold on his ability at the next level. He can't create his own yards, but by God he can blow by you when the hole is there. With good size, he's looking like a Day One pick. Kevin Smith has come out of nowhere and has good size, so it will be interesting to see how he tests. Ian Johnson hasn't met the unrealistic expectations of production he set last year, but I think he's very underrated and will be productive at the next level.

For seniors, Ryan Torain might have been the guy I liked best, but after a season-ending injury, how he workouts will be huge. Hart leads a weak group by default, but I've already shared my doubts on him. Tashard Choice has battled injuries, but he has some good upside. It hasn't been against top competition, but you can't ignore what Matt Forte has done this year. He and Kevin Smith (if Smith declares) will be two of the more intriguing players in workouts and could rocket up with good measurables. Allen Patrick is in that group too. A lot of pundits have him really high, but he has a light resume and Murray is the better talent in OK, but that doesn't mean Patrick can't play at the next level. Chris Johnson and Anthony Alridge are not natural RBs, but are home run hitters with elite speed. Johnson has better size and Alridge is really small and "product of system" guy, but he is one of the most explosive players in the NCAA and a multi-purpose threat. Dantrell Savage and Rafael Little top the undersized prospects, with Little having an injury legacy that hurts his draft stock.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Yikes...was that his mom or brother who described him as such? Forsett, like Mike Hart, is a great college player, but doesn't project well. He's smaller than Hart and doesn't have elite speed, either. Both can be surprisingly tough between the tackles for their size, but that won't fly at the next level. I watched a first-and-goal series against Oregon State where the door was slammed on him by their unspectacular defense on four consecutive carries. Forsett hasn't been significantly involved in the passing game, but he probably has a better skill set than Hart as a receiver/returner for a change of pace type role.

:huh:

Mom and brother - nice one.

I see him as one of those guys who can beef up 20 lbs and be a more bruising back. I've seen a lot of him and while true he lacks blazing speed, he does have a solid set of tools to succeed in the NFL.

I'll say this - at times I was more impressed by Forsett than I was Lynch when he was rushing for Cal and he turned out to be a pretty good NFL back before the injury. :huh:

BRADY QUINN! :pointstosky:

Wait, he was drafted last year? :shocking:

In all seriousness, this is looking like a weak draft class from a fantasy perspective. The real quality is on the defensive side of the ball and across the offensive line.

McFadden isnt even the best RB on his own team. If Felix Jones comes out as expected, he would be my #1 RB.

I see him as one of those guys who can beef up 20 lbs and be a more bruising back. I've seen a lot of him and while true he lacks blazing speed, he does have a solid set of tools to succeed in the NFL.

I'll say this - at times I was more impressed by Forsett than I was Lynch when he was rushing for Cal and he turned out to be a pretty good NFL back before the injury. :first:

Not sure about beefing up, he doesn't have the frame of a MJD. He's more JJ Arrington than Lynch, physically. I can't recall being more impressed by Forsett than Lynch, but people underestimate having to do the heavy lifting. Like the guy above who likes Felix Jones better than McFadden. Now I like Jones a lot too, in fact I argue he is legitimate first round possibility when you factor in his return skills, but when you are the guy with the target on your back, it opens up things for other people, defenses can get caught loosing focus ont he run game or catching their breath when you're out, etc. McFadden is clearly the top RB prospect in the draft, assuming he declares. Jones benefits from that the same way Forsett did when Lynch was there. Now Forsett was that guy and he got off to a good start this year, and he also was running behind a whole new left side of the line, so that was more impressive than some things he did behind Lynch. He should find work in the NFL, but will find bias b/c of his size and I wouldn't expect him to go until Day Two.