Sign in to follow this  
Barnaby Wilde

Oregon's Stewart needs surgery

Oregon's Stewart Facing Health Issue

Mike Mayock, of the NFL Network, reports University of Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart (toe) has a big toe injury that MRIs are recommending surgery to correct. He faces a four-to-six month recovery with the surgery.

I like this kid. I hope he is a quick healer!

Oregon's Stewart Facing Health Issue

Mike Mayock, of the NFL Network, reports University of Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart (toe) has a big toe injury that MRIs are recommending surgery to correct. He faces a four-to-six month recovery with the surgery.

I like this kid. I hope he is a quick healer!

Ouch. Maybe he'll fall and then I can land Mendenhall and him my dynasty draft!!!

It could also be a thing that whatever team drafts him decides they want him to have it heal on its own once they check him out with their own doctors.

Just like last year with AD...people were concerned about the shoulder and thought he may need surgery on it, and when he got to the Vikes, they checked him out and said he could go without surgery.

Of course, a toe is different and those types of injuries can linger bad.

I think the report said GMs of teams are speculating it may need surgery. If the guy ran a 4.4 at the combine and had one of the better all around performances I find it a little hard to believe he'll need surgery. If he does, it won't be a major deal in my mind because he'll be ready by August. If you're looking for the instant impact rookie, Stewart might slip for you if he needs surgery. If you're looking for a guy that will be one of the best RBs over the course of a career (from this class) then I'd still draft him high.

He's still my best back in this class until it's confirmed he needs surgery. Even then, he won't slip much. A player with that bad of a toe injury wouldn't be able to run and jump with the explosiveness that he did just a month ago.

I think the report said GMs of teams are speculating it may need surgery. If the guy ran a 4.4 at the combine and had one of the better all around performances I find it a little hard to believe he'll need surgery. If he does, it won't be a major deal in my mind because he'll be ready by August. If you're looking for the instant impact rookie, Stewart might slip for you if he needs surgery. If you're looking for a guy that will be one of the best RBs over the course of a career (from this class) then I'd still draft him high.

He's still my best back in this class until it's confirmed he needs surgery. Even then, he won't slip much. A player with that bad of a toe injury wouldn't be able to run and jump with the explosiveness that he did just a month ago.

Thanks Matt I'm still holding on to my 1.01 in my main Dynasty League and my first reaction was panic over the news, He is the guy I'm targeting and I started thinking about trading the pick for Grant.

from what i know, Stewart didnt run any other drills aside from the 40. I believe he skipped the shuttle and others. Running straight line may not be that much of an issue with the turf toe, but with cutting and all that, it should be worse, hence why he skipped the other drills.

thoughts?

I really like that kid. I sure feel badly for him. - Has had some tough breaks. Some team may get really lucky picking him up.

Long term I would be more concerned with his ankles than turf toe. He is still the best all around candidate to be an all down back.

--louis

from what i know, Stewart didnt run any other drills aside from the 40. I believe he skipped the shuttle and others. Running straight line may not be that much of an issue with the turf toe, but with cutting and all that, it should be worse, hence why he skipped the other drills.

thoughts?

That's a good point.

Of course, he hurt the toe on Thanksgiving and then put up 253 yards against a South Florida defense that didn't allow a 100-yard rusher in 2006-2007 with the exception of Ray Rice (twice) and Stewart. And USF faced some decent running teams: Auburn, West Virginia (twice), UNC (with Ronnie McGill last year), and Pittsburgh's young back Larod Stephens-Howling.

It's still up in the air, but what impressed me with him is that he played hurt. If he does pursue surgery, then yes his value slips as a draft pick. As a fantasy owner in a dynasty league, I'd still rate him the best RB in terms of talent but he's not the safest pick at that point because it may take him until mid-season or late-season to make an impact. I'd take the chance on him. He doesn't drop that much to me.

i'm at 1.02 in d-league and he's my pick unless somebody takes him over mcfadden. i want all the mcfadden hype to continue, because I, much like you Matt, feel that Stewart is the better all around back and better candidate to make an instant impact. If he were to have the surgery quickly, it's feasible he'll be ready by training camp.

i'm at 1.02 in d-league and he's my pick unless somebody takes him over mcfadden.

Even then I think I would take Mendenhall over McFadden. And I agree, I hope the hype keeps up about McFadden. Fortunately, I have the 1.01 draft in our d-league. :wave:

--louis

Even then I think I would take Mendenhall over McFadden. And I agree, I hope the hype keeps up about McFadden. Fortunately, I have the 1.01 draft in our d-league. :wave:

--louis

Man, I'd start hyping up McFadden to your league and try and trade outta that spot. Get the #2 or 3 and another draft pick.

So Stewart is the new Tyrone Calico of the '08 draft huh?

Better prospect than McFadden? Really...

only hope of this is situational given he goes somewhere atrocious. Cowboys trade up for McFadden on draft day and you expert dynasty guys can kick your own azzes for the next 8 years.

well, i think the key is value. from our talks the past few weeks, and leading up to the april draft, we'll see who really is in the hb market come crunch time (seattle/chicago/etc?), and who can get a guy that procuces more for less.

the steam is cooling from mcfadden's 40-yd dash, and now the critical analysis will be the game tapes and overall fit at the next level. wildman, im still waiting to see your thoughts on the rest of the hb crop, as you've already mentioned you feel there are some great players who can probably be had at a lot lower (late1 to 2nd and even 3rd rds) rather than top5 (mcfadden territory). we've agreed on ray rice, and im starting to watch some clips of straight-line speedster and 40-yd dash obliterator chris johnson (ECU).

as for stewart, i think he was paired with mendenhall as 2a/2b in the hb lists, and was favorable as a complete hb at the next level. he has career stats/starts, runs well with power and elusiveness; his only questions were top end home run speed, and starting/stopping acceleration. the 40-yd time in the 4.4s def shows he can move straight line; not doing the agility drills clearly indicates the toe is hampering and for real. in the end, i think this could help a team get a great value on a guy that prob was a 1st rd 20-32/2nd rd 1-15 pick, as he can now slip with this injury and medical review pending.

Direct link to Stewart (since the item will soon fall off the main page)...

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=4650

Jonathan Stewart-RB- Player Mar. 13 - 6:51 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart underwent surgery on his big toe Wednesday. He'll be out four to six months.

If Stewart heals quickly, he'll have a chance to be ready before the start of training camp. Still, Stewart will miss all pre-camp work and his draft status will likely be affected severely. It's a somewhat similar situation to Adrian Peterson's in 2007, but Stewart's potential isn't on that level. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him fall to round two.

My take: Stewart played on the toe injury, effectively, and worked out at the combine with the toe injury, effectively. He's only 20 years old and will have plenty of time to come back and be a productive player in the NFL. This surgery will definitely have a major effect on his production as a rookie. But long term I don't think this should scare NFL teams or FF owners hardly at all. If a team like the Seahawks or Cowboys or Packers can get him late in the 1st round, it would be a big steal.

Its not as bad as McGahee's or M Bush's at least, and i dont think it will affect him in the draft as much either one of them.

Surgery is a when not an if for running backs. Everybody goes down sooner or later. Freak injuries like this shouldnt affect the long term view of prospects.

I bet he's ready in 5 months, which means by November he's playing heavily, if not starting, depending on the team he's with.

A full 6 months is September 12. If he can't pratice before then there is a possibility of being put on IR for the first 6 games.

5 months and he starts practicing with the team during preseason.

4 months and he actually has time to practice with with his new team for a few weeks and has all of preseason.

There is quite a bit riding on whether this toe fully heals in 4, 5, or 6 plus months.

If the draft goes well enough for his stock to drop possibly behind second tier guys, sitting at 4/5 might pay dividends if you can be patient. Im hoping that with the big 3, 2 others go to good situations.