Sign in to follow this  
scherber830

Houston Texans - Who is the #1 RB in 2008?

Offense is looking okay, and they finally drafted Oline.

Degenerative Knee? Chris Brown? Steve Slaton? Chris Taylor?

WHO?

I don't trust Ahman Green to be relied on too heavily. If he were, I wouldn't trust him to stay healthy. And if he did manage to stay healthy while getting 15 carries a game or so, he simply isn't the same caliber of player he once was.

Chris Brown is the back I'd expect the most from. Or at least I think he's the RB Houston will want to lean on the most. The trouble with him is that you can never trust him to remain healthy for an entire season either. If/when he's healthy however, I'd expect him to be a pretty productive option for the Texans.

Slaton is a RB I like a lot (he went to HS not too far from me), but seeing as he is a rookie I don't expect him to be thrown in there immediately. If he is I think it will be because he has an impressive showing in camp and during the preseason and gets the coaches feeling like he is worthy of getting a good handful of reps.

What I expect is that Brown will get the majority of carries early in the year while Ahman Green is worked in every so often on a regular basis. As the season progresses however, I think Slaton will begin eating into Green's reps - due to injuries or simply a lack of effectiveness from Green. At that point I'd expect Brown and Slaton to be the primary backs the rest of the year.

It's hard to believe Brown and Green won't miss time at some point, so at different times during the season I could see anyone of those three backs being the top option on a week-to-week basis. For fantasy purposes in redraft leagues this season I think I'd have to value them in order going Brown - Slaton - Green.

I would expect Chris Brown to win the starting job out of training camp. But surely the Texans aren't stupid enough to rely on him for 20 carries a game, which is why I expect Brown to get 12-14 carries, Ahman to get 5-6, and Slaton to get 5-6 as well. Until one of them gets injured, and with this trio it's 100% guaranteed, the Texans backfield will be useless fantasy-wise. I wouldn't mind picking Chris Brown late, since he will come super cheap, and he has a little bit of upside. I'd have to watch Slaton in training camp and preseason before I draft him.

i expect full on RBBC. i dont see any RB getting more than 15 carries/game, and thats on the high side.

i expect full on RBBC. i dont see any RB getting more than 15 carries/game, and thats on the high side.

I tend to agree.

The RB with the best chance to start is Chris Brown.

The RB with the best chance to break out is Steve Slaton.

I wouldn't touch Ahman Green, Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor fantasy wise. They will get some touches, but unless there is a slew of injuries (which is possible) they will be down on the depth chart.

Kubiak = SOS

SON OF SHANNIHAN :pointstosky:

Kubiak = SOS

SON OF SHANNIHAN :dunno:

Agreed...I'm going to do my best to stay away from this rushing attack as well as Denver. Too hard to predict what RB is going to get the carries week to week. I would not trust Ahman Green though, he is pretty well done. I think it will be a combo, Brown, Slaton and (insert a 3rd RB, Walker etc) I also think Slaton is just too small right now to be an every down back. He needs to pack on some muscle, which I think he will.

ahman till he gets hurt...

chris brown till he gets hurt...

then rbbc between whoever is left between d.walker/c.taylor/slaton...

The Houston Chronicle expects third-round pick Steve Slaton to be the Texans' third-down back as a rookie.

Slaton (5'9/197) might get run over in pass pro. Chris Brown is a pretty good third-down back already and Darius Walker can work those downs too. The Texans have a whole lot of competition at tailback with nothing set in stone.

Source: Houston Chronicle

I picked Brown in the late stages of a mock draft for Lindy's magazine tonight. I felt like he was a bargain at this spot. He looked good in limited time as a Titan. The writing was on the wall that he'd be gone, even if he often played better than White.

Brown has good vision, speed, and acceleration. He's just not very nifty in small spaces and he'd be an elite back if he could run behind his pads and finish runs well.

IMO right now Brown the best RB on the team.

I think Slaton could become the poor mans Reggie Bush. He can run with the ball or catch it. He has the making of a great late round gem. Even if its RBBC he's a player I would like to have on my bench for that just in case factor.

be perpared for :ninja: if your draft any of te Texan RBs as #2 or #3 guy.

I envision C Brown getting the most of the touches if he is Healthy.

A Green can be one of those 3 game wonders where he rakes up some serious pts / then gets hurt.

Then at the end of the yr, when both Brown and Green are IRd, Slaton or someone else will become the FF Playoff MVP.

I tend to agree.

The RB with the best chance to start is Chris Brown.

The RB with the best chance to break out is Steve Slaton.

I wouldn't touch Ahman Green, Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor fantasy wise. They will get some touches, but unless there is a slew of injuries (which is possible) they will be down on the depth chart.

heard Chris Taylor was lookin pretty solid in camp, no ? I drafted him in my IDP Dynasty 2 years ago but let him go somewhere along the line (even with 40 man rosters)... he'll get a chance to play for ShannyRat Jr. at some point this year and errupt for sure :ninja:

I intend to take chris brown in the 10-12rnd area, wait for his inevitable 170yd 2 td day sometime in hte first few weeks then trade him before he remembers he is chris brown like every year.