Sign in to follow this  
Airmike5000

Most Important 2008 Philadelphia Eagle

Im not sure about this because it is still only june but I think the season rides on the health of westbrook, mcnabb, and samuels. another player to watch is lj smith when the eagles get in the redzone. the eagles moved the ball but struggled to move the ball into the endzone when they got into the redzone.

yea the receivers did drop some easy balls last year and they also did not get open for the eagles inside the redzone. jackson was a big pickup for the eagles in the draft and in my opinion was their most important draft pick. jackson can at the very least catch punts for 16 games and more than that is he can return punts for positive yardage. as a receiver, jackson can stretch the field. also the eagles could draw up some unique trick plays for jackson. he could be a touchdown waiting to happen on a reverse, end around, or a receiver screen.

You are asking old, beat up, worn and torn guys to step up :lol:

It's time to move on - Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bills!

Did I say that four times? Philly's days are over with this group of guys, mathematics in the nfl. You can't peak and make it that far for so many consectutive years not to have the valley approaching.

If the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl this year, it's going to come down to how well that defense plays. Not just one or two of those guys, but how they play as a unit.

They may have the best group of CBs in the league at the moment, assuming Lito is a part of the team come September. The D-line should be solid, especially if Chris Clemons is the addition they expect him to be.

Their LB core is young and promising, but will need to prove themselves game in and game out every week.

At safety they still have Dawkins. He's slowing down, but is still one of the best at his position. I'm not thrilled with Sean Considine as a every down player, but I think he's decent in coverage. Quintin Mikell may be able to become the starter there, which I wouldn't mind.

With the secondary they have, I think you'll see a lot more blitzing from the Eagles this season. I think they want to have Clemons and Juqua Thomas causing havoc at the line with Gocong coming often from the linebacker position.

Their offense won't change much from last season, but I'm real excited to watch the guys on the defensive side of the ball this year.

If the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl this year, it's going to come down to how well that defense plays. Not just one or two of those guys, but how they play as a unit.

They may have the best group of CBs in the league at the moment, assuming Lito is a part of the team come September. The D-line should be solid, especially if Chris Clemons is the addition they expect him to be.

Their LB core is young and promising, but will need to prove themselves game in and game out every week.

At safety they still have Dawkins. He's slowing down, but is still one of the best at his position. I'm not thrilled with Sean Considine as a every down player, but I think he's decent in coverage. Quintin Mikell may be able to become the starter there, which I wouldn't mind.

With the secondary they have, I think you'll see a lot more blitzing from the Eagles this season. I think they want to have Clemons and Juqua Thomas causing havoc at the line with Gocong coming often from the linebacker position.

Their offense won't change much from last season, but I'm real excited to watch the guys on the defensive side of the ball this year.

Jim Johnson has all ready said Mikell is his starter at SS.

I think the 2 biggest areas of need are defensive turnovers and production from the TE position. IMO a healthy LJ Smith makes a big difference to the O. On D I think Samuel, Bradley and Clemons/Abriamiri are going to determine whether this D can setup from being good last season to being very good this season.

the eagles will score in the redzone this yr, thats gonna be the diff between the o this year and last year

Not without a RZ target (tall fella) or a bruiser to push the pile for 1 yard - Or is Buckhalter still the answer?

Brown 6'1"

Curtis 6'0"

Baskett 6'4" but 16 receptions isn't going to get it done

Avant 6'0"

L.J. Smith - He could be a big contributer but 22 receptions isn't going to get it done.

Not without a RZ target (tall fella) or a bruiser to push the pile for 1 yard - Or is Buckhalter still the answer?

Brown 6'1"

Curtis 6'0"

Baskett 6'4" but 16 receptions isn't going to get it done

Avant 6'0"

L.J. Smith - He could be a big contributer but 22 receptions isn't going to get it done.

With the exception of last season the Eagles have always been pretty good in the RZ duing Reid's tenure. They have never scored in the RZ by having a tall target or playing smash mouth football though.

Of course 22 receptions isn't good enough from Smith but he was banged up all season. I'm sure a healthy Smith will catch in the 50-60 region like he did the previous 2 years.

Jim Johnson has all ready said Mikell is his starter at SS.

I think the 2 biggest areas of need are defensive turnovers and production from the TE position. IMO a healthy LJ Smith makes a big difference to the O. On D I think Samuel, Bradley and Clemons/Abriamiri are going to determine whether this D can setup from being good last season to being very good this season.

:overhead:

yea the receivers did drop some easy balls last year and they also did not get open for the eagles inside the redzone. jackson was a big pickup for the eagles in the draft and in my opinion was their most important draft pick. jackson can at the very least catch punts for 16 games and more than that is he can return punts for positive yardage. as a receiver, jackson can stretch the field. also the eagles could draw up some unique trick plays for jackson. he could be a touchdown waiting to happen on a reverse, end around, or a receiver screen.

Haha I am so glad to not be an Eagles fan, hinging my season on a tiny wide receiver who didn't even sniff 1,000 yards receiving or double digit receiving td's his last year in COLLEGE (762 yards and 6 TD's for anyone who didn't know). The Eagles are a long way from contending for NFC dominance again and when you draft a system QB like Kolb or a tiny receiver who is going to be an extremely poor mans version of Santana Moss to replace the increasingly fragile McNabb it shows your front office is almost as bad as any in the league.

Haha I am so glad to not be an Eagles fan, hinging my season on a tiny wide receiver who didn't even sniff 1,000 yards receiving or double digit receiving td's his last year in COLLEGE (762 yards and 6 TD's for anyone who didn't know). The Eagles are a long way from contending for NFC dominance again and when you draft a system QB like Kolb or a tiny receiver who is going to be an extremely poor mans version of Santana Moss to replace the increasingly fragile McNabb it shows your front office is almost as bad as any in the league.

As a franchise, they are top-five over the last ten seasons. Look it up.

I'll take their front office decisions over some clown who's been around for a month.

reggie brown is the guy i think can/needs to give that offense full continuity. he has to step up and become a true west coast wide receiver. there are too many missed plays and dropped passes with him; even darrell jackson in seattle had lots of drops, but made enough plays to post 1000+/8-10 and be considered a wr1. if philly wants to get confidence and potency back into the offense (despite mcfagg's health risks), they need him to make the plays (and at key times/downs) to allow curtis to be the true wr2, smith the seam threat, and westbrook doing what he does.

reggie brown is the guy i think can/needs to give that offense full continuity. he has to step up and become a true west coast wide receiver. there are too many missed plays and dropped passes with him; even darrell jackson in seattle had lots of drops, but made enough plays to post 1000+/8-10 and be considered a wr1. if philly wants to get confidence and potency back into the offense (despite mcfagg's health risks), they need him to make the plays (and at key times/downs) to allow curtis to be the true wr2, smith the seam threat, and westbrook doing what he does.

Well said. Reggie appears to be a guy you need to get going early on in a game. I think part of the problem has been not having a threat working the hashmarks, like LJ Smith or even Greg Lewis in the slot.

Especially in a cover two, the safeties tend to cheat more to the outside receivers when there is no threat down the middle of the field, with a LB in one on one coverage with the TE.

If the TE's busting that guy's azz all day, the safety can't cheat as much. It only takes a little in this league to make plays and get open.

Clearly Brown has to catch the focking ball. I can see Jason Avant push him for some PT this year if Brown starts off slowly.

As a franchise, they are top-five over the last ten seasons. Look it up.

I'll take their front office decisions over some clown who's been around for a month.

Yup, because I've been around for a month I don't know anything. Look at the decisions they've made. Kolb is not the answer for a fragile McNabb and neither is a speedster who couldn't even perform at a high WR level in college. And over the last 3 seasons they are the definition of 24-24, that sure means they are doing a fantastic job right? Take your 19,000 posts and do some research.

Yup, because I've been around for a month I don't know anything. Look at the decisions they've made. Kolb is not the answer for a fragile McNabb and neither is a speedster who couldn't even perform at a high WR level in college. And over the last 3 seasons they are the definition of 24-24, that sure means they are doing a fantastic job right? Take your 19,000 posts and do some research.

Seriously, Kolb is not the answer for McNabb? And you know this because you're at every practice, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last nite?

No one ever said that DeSean Jackson was the answer, you fockin' dink. He should definitely help them on special teams, where the Eagles have been woeful the past few years (see home opener against Green Bay last year).

May want to back off the research critique, Junior.

Yup, because I've been around for a month I don't know anything.

Thank you. Now go learn something, squirt. :thumbsup:

I think the Eagles are going to end up dissapointed with Asante Samuel. He is a good cornerback, but a lot of his success was also due to the system that he played in New England. Now that he is with Philly he is going to be asked to do a lot more man-to-man coverage, and I don't think that he is necessarily well-suited for that. He does his best work as somewhat of a freelancer who can try to anticipate where the ball is going to go and position himself to make a play accordingly. Being tied to one particular receiver is not going to be conducive to this, so I think you will see his playmaking ability taper off dramatically.

I think the Eagles are going to end up dissapointed with Asante Samuel. He is a good cornerback, but a lot of his success was also due to the system that he played in New England. Now that he is with Philly he is going to be asked to do a lot more man-to-man coverage, and I don't think that he is necessarily well-suited for that. He does his best work as somewhat of a freelancer who can try to anticipate where the ball is going to go and position himself to make a play accordingly. Being tied to one particular receiver is not going to be conducive to this, so I think you will see his playmaking ability taper off dramatically.

I have a feeling you are right. But, since he's an Eagle now, I have no choice but to hope for the best.

Yeah, I'm hoping he can adjust to the fact that he'll no longer know exactly what plays the opposition will be running.

Seriously, Kolb is not the answer for McNabb? And you know this because you're at every practice, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last nite?

No one ever said that DeSean Jackson was the answer, you fockin' dink. He should definitely help them on special teams, where the Eagles have been woeful the past few years (see home opener against Green Bay last year).

May want to back off the research critique, Junior.

No I said Kolb isn't the answer because he's a system QB. How many of them have gone on to have good careers?

No I said Kolb isn't the answer because he's a system QB. How many of them have gone on to have good careers?

Dude, you're so money on that one. After all, Reid knows nothing about QBs. He screwed up drafting McNabb when he could have had Akili Smith.

He's also terrible coaching them, too. McNabb has been a bust. Favre was, too. He did nothing while being his QB coach in Green Bay.

System QB?

You can either play or you can't play. Kolb has not had the opportunity to show his skills/lack of skills. So give us all a break, genius.

I have a feeling you are right. But, since he's an Eagle now, I have no choice but to hope for the best.

I have absolute confidence that Jim Johnson will find a way to maximize the talent of Samuel. Why would they pay that much money to a guy who doesn't fit into their "system"?

I think folks make way too big a deal about guys "fitting in". If you can play, good coaches will find a way to maximize that player's skills and talents.

I hear that the Birds will also be lining up a bit more in the 3-4 this year, too.

Dude, you're so money on that one. After all, Reid knows nothing about QBs. He screwed up drafting McNabb when he could have had Akili Smith.

He's also terrible coaching them, too. McNabb has been a bust. Favre was, too. He did nothing while being his QB coach in Green Bay.

System QB?

You can either play or you can't play. Kolb has not had the opportunity to show his skills/lack of skills. So give us all a break, genius.

I wonder if the new kid is a Macgee alias.

Very similar intelligence.

You're doing a great job of trying to insult me without actually trying to present an arguement. Kolb is not going to be a good NFL QB mark my words and the Eagles will finish last in the NFC East for the third time in the last four seasons. As for Samuel I think he will fit in alright there and the Eagles secondary is pretty intimidating. Samuel thrived in New England because he had a good team capable of putting pressure on the QB just like the Eagles can with guys like Trent Cole.

System QB?

ahaha couldn't agree more. well put

You're doing a great job of trying to insult me without actually trying to present an arguement. Kolb is not going to be a good NFL QB mark my words and the Eagles will finish last in the NFC East for the third time in the last four seasons. [...]

Sounds like you're getting opinion messed up with argument. the only "argument" that you have used is that Kolb is a "system quarterback" ... sounds like more of an opinion to me

I wonder if the new kid is a Macgee alias.

Very similar intelligence.

Ahh yes I see that I still resonate on your mind. How many Super Bowls have the Eagles won? Asante will be a bust, and Newbiejr will continue to make posts about the Patriots and spygate. The Arizona Cardinals will win more games than the Philadelphia Eagles. :headbanger: Kevin Kolb=Browning Nagle

You're doing a great job of trying to insult me without actually trying to present an arguement. Kolb is not going to be a good NFL QB mark my words and the Eagles will finish last in the NFC East for the third time in the last four seasons.

Then you should present a fact or two to back up your assertion about Kolb. Given that he's only entering his seond year, what facts are available to prove he won't be a good NFL QB?

Yeah, I'm hoping he can adjust to the fact that he'll no longer know exactly what plays the opposition will be running.

Thats funny. Big up to Newbie.

You're doing a great job of trying to insult me without actually trying to present an arguement. Kolb is not going to be a good NFL QB mark my words and the Eagles will finish last in the NFC East for the third time in the last four seasons. As for Samuel I think he will fit in alright there and the Eagles secondary is pretty intimidating. Samuel thrived in New England because he had a good team capable of putting pressure on the QB just like the Eagles can with guys like Trent Cole.

The only insult here is your commentary.

Oh, and can you give me the winning powerball numbers for Saturday? I'd like to get my dad something cool for father's day.

:nono:

You're doing a great job of trying to insult me without actually trying to present an arguement. Kolb is not going to be a good NFL QB mark my words.

You know, you're not exactly going out on a limb with that prediction. It's always a crapshoot when you draft a quarterback. Hell, many scouts are left drooling over Ryan Leaf/Jim Drunkenmiller/Akili Smith-types, only to be burnt by wasting high picks on them.

I don't think I've seen too many Eagles' fans claiming that Kolb looks like the next Joe Montana.

The reason people are 'insulting' you, is that this was a thread that was going along very well until you chimed in talking crap about the Eagles front office. Look back at teh last ten years. Although not perfect (as no one's front office is), the Eagles track record is pretty damn good. Other than the T.O. signing-mistake, they are pretty damn good with their decision making.

We welcome newcomers and their opinions, but if you're just attempting to stir-the-pot, be prepared to be flamed and insulted. There's enough of those idiots on this board already. In fact, the poster-child has already visited this thread it appears (thank God for the 'ignore' feature).

I have absolute confidence that Jim Johnson will find a way to maximize the talent of Samuel. Why would they pay that much money to a guy who doesn't fit into their "system"?

I think folks make way too big a deal about guys "fitting in". If you can play, good coaches will find a way to maximize that player's skills and talents.

I hear that the Birds will also be lining up a bit more in the 3-4 this year, too.

Not really sure, but I think they were enamored with his INTs the past few years and that blinded them to everything else. They desperately needed a playmaker on defense who could get take-aways; which he surely can do. I'm just not sold on his man-to-man coverage skills and the Eagles do that A LOT.

I hope he's great, but I fear he won't be all that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Not really sure, but I think they were enamored with his INTs the past few years and that blinded them to everything else. They desperately needed a playmaker on defense who could get take-aways; which he surely can do. I'm just not sold on his man-to-man coverage skills and the Eagles do that A LOT.

I hope he's great, but I fear he won't be all that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the cream of the crop when it comes to DBs in the NFL. He is elite, though, and the numbers don't lie.

But like anything else, if they don't generate a pass rush this year, it won't really matter. :doublethumbsup:

Abso-freakin-lutely! :thumbsup:

I really think Johnson's ready to throw the division a curve ball this year and go more with a 3-4 look. They did it a little last year and it worked pretty well.

I really think Johnson's ready to throw the division a curve ball this year and go more with a 3-4 look. They did it a little last year and it worked pretty well.

He'd better do something because they seem to have figured him out to an extent.

You know, you're not exactly going out on a limb with that prediction. It's always a crapshoot when you draft a quarterback. Hell, many scouts are left drooling over Ryan Leaf/Jim Drunkenmiller/Akili Smith-types, only to be burnt by wasting high picks on them.

I don't think I've seen too many Eagles' fans claiming that Kolb looks like the next Joe Montana.

The reason people are 'insulting' you, is that this was a thread that was going along very well until you chimed in talking crap about the Eagles front office. Look back at teh last ten years. Although not perfect (as no one's front office is), the Eagles track record is pretty damn good. Other than the T.O. signing-mistake, they are pretty damn good with their decision making.

We welcome newcomers and their opinions, but if you're just attempting to stir-the-pot, be prepared to be flamed and insulted. There's enough of those idiots on this board already. In fact, the poster-child has already visited this thread it appears (thank God for the 'ignore' feature).

Jon Harris seems to be a future Hall of Famer.