Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Derek Anderson the real deal or one hit wonder

He started last year with some sizzle but ended the year with a little fizzle. I've seen some of you with him in your top 10 rankings. I just courious on how you think he'll fair this year?

I think his numbers will drop a little but he'll still be solid.

3,400 yards and 22 TDs

DA has the perfect makeup for a drop back passer. he also wears concrete shoes. give him time to throw to the weapons he has, he'll improve on last yrs numbers, imo. inconsistent o-line play, and he could struggle big time. he's no steve young in the pocket.

I think Cleveland has a real tough time running this year and will be playing from behind a lot with that schedule. So I think his fantasy stats will be pretty good but his INTs will go up as they did in the 2nd half of last season.

He may very well produce as he did last year, or improve upon his numbers. I have no real basis for saying he won't aside from just a gut feeling. I'm content to just let someone else take that risk and either grab someone of similar value in a more stable situation (Big Ben, etc) or wait a bit on guys like Rivers that should be solid and maybe take a chance on getting this year's Anderson later in the draft or from the waiver wire.

Ive got to choose between keeping him or McNabb. I think I am gonig DA. That team looks like it could be real strong.

i'd keep DA. mcChunky is on his way out. although if mcfatface starts strong you could sell high, cause you know he's gonn get hurt.

It will be hard for him to do poorly with those WR/TE's. Not to mention a damn good o-line!

He may very well produce as he did last year, or improve upon his numbers. I have no real basis for saying he won't aside from just a gut feeling. I'm content to just let someone else take that risk and either grab someone of similar value in a more stable situation (Big Ben, etc) or wait a bit on guys like Rivers that should be solid and maybe take a chance on getting this year's Anderson later in the draft or from the waiver wire.

I'm not sure that Anderson's situation is all that unstable. He's throwing to Braylon Edwards (who finally came into his own last year), Winslow (one of the best pass catching tight ends in the league), and has a very serviceable running game (led by Jamal Lewis). Most importantly, he has an offensive line that has been improving rapidly - in 2005 & 2006 they gave up 46 & 54 sacks respectively, but lowered it to 19 (!) last year. That kind of protection can make or break the yearly stats for a QB (see Marc Bulger).

Granted their schedule this year looks kind of nasty, but I kind of like the situation Anderson's in. :unsure:

i'd keep DA. mcChunky is on his way out. although if mcfatface starts strong you could sell high, cause you know he's gonn get hurt.

McNabb is much healther coming into this season since he was able to work out instead of just rehab...the Eagles offense is primed for a huge bounce back year too with LJ Smith healthy, Reggie Brown a year older, Curtis into his second season in the offense and now with Deshaun Jackson blazing around the field. I will be happy to get McNabb this year.

I'm not sure that Anderson's situation is all that unstable. He's throwing to Braylon Edwards (who finally came into his own last year), Winslow (one of the best pass catching tight ends in the league), and has a very serviceable running game (led by Jamal Lewis). Most importantly, he has an offensive line that has been improving rapidly - in 2005 & 2006 they gave up 46 & 54 sacks respectively, but lowered it to 19 (!) last year. That kind of protection can make or break the yearly stats for a QB (see Marc Bulger).

Granted their schedule this year looks kind of nasty, but I kind of like the situation Anderson's in. :dunno:

Valid points, and I agree. I should have been more clear and said what I actually meant:

The Steelers= traditionally good

The Browns = Traditionally the Browns.

meaning that basically all the talent and expectations and whatever could still leave you holding your cack if the Browns just turn into the Browns again for whatever reason. 46, 54, and 19 sacks allowed would also seem to indicate that last year was a bit of an anomaly. Again, just a hunch based on a terrible organization and backing up my original post saying that while he may very repeat last year's success, there's a damn good reason he was a shock to everyone, and I'd rather not bank on the Browns continued success with a mid-round pick at QB.

Valid points, and I agree. I should have been more clear and said what I actually meant:

meaning that basically all the talent and expectations and whatever could still leave you holding your cack if the Browns just turn into the Browns again for whatever reason. 46, 54, and 19 sacks allowed would also seem to indicate that last year was a bit of an anomaly. Again, just a hunch based on a terrible organization and backing up my original post saying that while he may very repeat last year's success, there's a damn good reason he was a shock to everyone, and I'd rather not bank on the Browns continued success with a mid-round pick at QB.

It's funny - when I saw the 46, 54, 19 numbers, my first thought was also that it reeked of an anomaly. But the Browns did bring in Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach to anchor the blindside. I guess it's fair to say it's part improvement, part anamoly. The Browns O-line IS much better than before - but I wouldn't bank on them allowing only 19 sacks again. :huh:

That being said, I too have concerns about Anderson. I just don't think he's all that talented (which might get exposed with the tougher schedule). I mean, there's a reason the Browns traded to get Brady Quinn. :dunno:

That being said, I too have concerns about Anderson. I just don't think he's all that talented (which might get exposed with the tougher schedule). I mean, there's a reason the Browns traded to get Brady Quinn. :pointstosky:

Yeah. Like the Chargers getting Rivers, and letting Brees go. I have the feeling they're regretting that move.

McNabb has still won more playoff games then Romo will EVER win.

And back on topic, I dont think Anderson is star material, but I do think he'll have a nice long career as a starter and eventually a veteran backup.

Yeah. Like the Chargers getting Rivers, and letting Brees go. I have the feeling they're regretting that move.

I woud argue that so far, they are. If they had Brees two years ago, I think they win that game at home against the Pats, and probably go on to win the Super Bowl. They desperately missed Brees' leadership that game.

Things change all the time and in football, it changes from season to season. One thing I expect to stay the same, is the continue slipping of the Steelers due to thier failure to shore up thier offensive line for at least the second year in a row. How many sacks did the Steelers give up last year? I think that number will increase this year.

As for Anderson, he has everything he need on the field to be successful. The only question is, does he have the heart and the brain to actually get it done. He must improve on the road and in the first half of those games.