Sign in to follow this  
JREarly

Can Someone Please Explain?

I have always gone with the trend of drafting RB/RB in the first 2 rounds of all fantasy leagues and I have been pretty successful with this strategy. I believe in this strategy and I do feel it is the best way to put a fantasy team together. However, looking at the 2007 season totals (fantasy points) I notice that the top 9 players from last season were all QB's. Yes, that's right, Kurt Warner had more fantasy points last year than LT. :unsure: I run my league on Yahoo and I was just wondering if this is something caused by how Yahoo does their scoring or what?? It is very confusing to me because I know I do not want Warner or Hasselbeck over LT. I am looking to possibly switch sites if this is a Yahoo issue, but I do not see why Yahoo would have their scoring that much different than other sites. To view these stats I go to my current league I have set up this year, click on players and then view 2007 season stats. Are these Yahoo general stats with general scoring or are these #'s based off my league scoring settings? Below I will list the top 15 players from 2007, fantasy points wise......

Brady 567

Romo 447

Manning 415

Brees 409

Anderson 378

Palmer 370

Hasselbeck 361

Big Ben 355

Warner 344

LT 315

Kitna 313

Moss 300

Cutler 299

Manning 299

McNabb 294

I believe in drafting RBs first and I will continue to do so but do I need to change my scoring for my league or change sites all together? My league scoring last year and this year is pretty basic, I don't know why there would be such large #'s of QB's over top RB's, especially when the emphasis is always on draft RB's heavy. My league scoring is as follows:

1 pt/10 yards rushing+receiving

1 pt/25 yards passing

6 pts/all touchdowns (passing,rushing,receiving)

10 pts bonus/150 yards rushing+receiving

5 pts bonus/300 yards passing

If anyone could explain this better to me or give some suggestions on what to change or new sites with better scoring I would greatly appreciate it.

I apologize for the typo, it is acutally 5 pts bonus/300 yards passing. Even with the bonus, Brady was the only QB to average 300 yards per game. Brady did receive the bonus most weeks so I can see why that would add to his increased fantasy points but most other QB's did not receive the bonus but every few weeks and at only 5 points I do not see that making a huge difference, especially since the RB's can gain bonus points as well.

If you want it more balanced why can you not change the scoring? Add PPR, either change QB TD's to 4pts or change the yardage to 50. That should minimize the large discrepancy.

Actually last year Kurt Warner only threw for 300 yards 4 times which gave him 20 bonus points all year while LT ran for 150 yards 2 times which gave him 20 bonus points all year as well.

i would imagine Qb's hit 300 yards at a much greater rate then RB hit 150. That is definetely the reason warner was so high

I would also consider dropping QB TD's to 4 or even 3 points.

I have always gone with the trend of drafting RB/RB in the first 2 rounds of all fantasy leagues and I have been pretty successful with this strategy. I believe in this strategy and I do feel it is the best way to put a fantasy team together. However, looking at the 2007 season totals (fantasy points) I notice that the top 9 players from last season were all QB's. Yes, that's right, Kurt Warner had more fantasy points last year than LT. :lol: I run my league on Yahoo and I was just wondering if this is something caused by how Yahoo does their scoring or what?? It is very confusing to me because I know I do not want Warner or Hasselbeck over LT. I am looking to possibly switch sites if this is a Yahoo issue, but I do not see why Yahoo would have their scoring that much different than other sites. To view these stats I go to my current league I have set up this year, click on players and then view 2007 season stats. Are these Yahoo general stats with general scoring or are these #'s based off my league scoring settings? Below I will list the top 15 players from 2007, fantasy points wise......

Brady 567

Romo 447

Manning 415

Brees 409

Anderson 378

Palmer 370

Hasselbeck 361

Big Ben 355

Warner 344

LT 315

Kitna 313

Moss 300

Cutler 299

Manning 299

McNabb 294

I believe in drafting RBs first and I will continue to do so but do I need to change my scoring for my league or change sites all together? My league scoring last year and this year is pretty basic, I don't know why there would be such large #'s of QB's over top RB's, especially when the emphasis is always on draft RB's heavy. My league scoring is as follows:

1 pt/10 yards rushing+receiving

1 pt/25 yards passing

6 pts/all touchdowns (passing,rushing,receiving)

10 pts bonus/150 yards rushing+receiving

5 pts bonus/300 yards passing

If anyone could explain this better to me or give some suggestions on what to change or new sites with better scoring I would greatly appreciate it.

In most leagues QBs are going to dominate the score board - their statistics dictate such. This doesn't cahnge the fact that RB-RB is a preferred strategy by many players because when drafting its not about RB v. QB scoring against eachother its about relative value of the position (QB1 v. QB8 versus RB7 v. RB 32).

I wouldn't necessarily change your scoring to make RBs more valuable versus QBs, if anything it at least gives some one a reason to consider QBs in early rounds so that drafts aren't as boring and predictable.

Actually last year Kurt Warner only threw for 300 yards 4 times which gave him 20 bonus points all year while LT ran for 150 yards 2 times which gave him 20 bonus points all year as well.

You actually answered your own question, you are comparing Warner to LT.

I think comparing 1 QB vs. 1 RB vs. 1 WR is an incorrect way to compare players in a league scoring system.

You need to manage positions by groups based on roster settings

1 QB vs. 2 RB vs. 3 WR

Ideally they should be very close, based on the position grouping.

thought you meant both were worth 5.

Also it doesn't really matter as all the teams are playing the same rules. You just need to adjust how you draft slightly. Use the compliler, plug in your projections, and see the difference between the tiers. You don't take a QB over a RB because they score more points, you draft a QB over a RB if the teir below them has a signifcant dropoff.

It's the 10 bonus points, we offer 1 bonus point for 300 yds passing, and 1 for 100 yds rushing

Um, no it's not...caues Big Ben didn't have a 300 yrd game at all last year and still outscored LT. I counted 32 different QB's that had 300yrd games during the regular season. I counted 79 300yrd games total. Leading the list were:

Brady 8

Romo 7

Favre 7

Palmer 5

Brees 5

Warner 5

Deducting those #'s from the list down to LT would affect it in almost no way, nobody would drop below LT from the guys above him anyway. It shakes up the order above LT, but still shows QB's are worth more than RB's in that league.

Brady 527

Romo 412

Manning 400

Brees 384

Anderson 363

Palmer 345

Hasselbeck 346

Big Ben 355

Warner 324

LT 315

However, it also shows you that RB's that get top PT's are scarce, which makes them better value than QB's. You're better off taking LT #1 then trying to get one of the guys above at the 2/3 turn. And as pointed out, you're dealing with minimum of 2x as many RB's and 2/3x as many WR. What you need to be looking at is the drop off from the Top RB's. IMO LT in the 1st + Palmer in the 2nd > Romo in the 1st and Brandon Jacobs (or the like) in the 2nd.

My point with the bonus points is that with Warner and LT they cancelled each other out. They both earned 20 bonus points all season. I am just saying I don't feel like the bonus points is the reason for the large discrepancy. I guess comparing these players in this way is the wrong way to do so. Thanks for your replies.

Good insight Dr. Octopus and mggoilers.

jgcrawfish great point, i see where you are coming from. KSB2424 thanks, I understand what you mean by teir dropoff and will focus more on that than total points. Thanks.

My point with the bonus points is that with Warner and LT they cancelled each other out. They both earned 20 bonus points all season. I am just saying I don't feel like the bonus points is the reason for the large discrepancy. I guess comparing these players in this way is the wrong way to do so. Thanks for your replies.

Its not the bonus points its the TDs. Upper tier QBs throw for 28-35 TDs while with a few exceptions the elite backs score about 10-15 TDs.

I like 6 points per TDs for QBs and like I said earlier, leagues should try to "help" out other positions to become more valuable than RBs rather than increasing the RB value. As it is because of scarcity RBs already dominate the first two rounds of most re-drafts. Do you really want 22 of the first 24 picks to be RBs?

Good insight Dr. Octopus and mggoilers.

I agree with you but you can't compare the #1 RB with the #XX QB.

No, I don't. I guess that is why the draft was really fun and unpredictable last year. I am going to be leaving my scoring stats the same and not changing them. I really like 6 pts for each TD scored and I do not want to put even more value on RB's by reducing the # of points given to a QB for throwing a TD. It's pretty obvious the RB's are more far and few between and that's why you see all the QB's bunched together.

Phurfur I completely understand what you are saying and I do agree. I shouldn't be comparing these players by positions such as RB vs QB.

FWIW, here's the scoring for my long time league for the top 20 last season. The count is 11 QB, 6 RB, 3 WR. The difference from #1 QB to #2 is significant, however, the difference from #2 to say #6 isn't nearly as big. It's about the tiering of the players.

1 Brady, Tom QB NE QB 483

2 Romo, Tony QB DAL QB 331

3 Manning, Peyton QB IND QB 327

4 Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD RB 318

5 Moss, Randy WR NE WR 308

6 Favre, Brett QB GB QB 302

7 Brees, Drew QB NO QB 294

8 Westbrook, Brian RB PHI RB 292

9 Anderson, Derek QB CLE QB 284

10 Palmer, Carson QB CIN QB 264

11 Peterson, Adrian RB MIN RB 250

12 Roethlisberger, Ben QB PIT QB 246