Sign in to follow this  
raytri

Kevin Smith vs. Michael Turner

I've been a big fan of Michael Turner for several years, and was excited to see him land a starting job. Except it's with Atlanta.

Meanwhile, Kevin Smith is getting a lot of hype and attention, but he's still a rookie competing against several incumbent veterans.

Who do you think will have the better season?

I've been a big fan of Michael Turner for several years, and was excited to see him land a starting job. Except it's with Atlanta.

Meanwhile, Kevin Smith is getting a lot of hype and attention, but he's still a rookie competing against several incumbent veterans.

Who do you think will have the better season?

The Detroit Lion RB position is not a good source of Fantasy Points. I'll take my chances with the Burner thank you very much.

Lions didn't have good RB numbers in recent years because of Mike Martz's neglect of the run game...Kevin Jones was decent before he got hurt. And he has the best WR duo this side of the mississippi.

He's a rookie, but I think he gets that starting gig and runs with it.

Turner will also be better than expected...the only kock I keep hearing is that he plays for atlanta. yes they arent good, but people love frank gore and his team is going to be worse you could argue.

I say turner goes for 1200 and 7 TDs...smith somewhere close to 1000 and 6.

Norwood is going to steal a fair amount of touches from Turner. At this point Turner is moderately over-rated in my opinion. That being said, I have them ranked right next to each other. It's a toss up. If you feel like gambling, I'd go with Smith.

Atlanta's offense is going to be a lot better then people think this year with Matt Ryan and Roddie White and Norwood is nothing more then a change of pace back.

I disagree about Norwood. They once said this about Tiki Barber. The guy is crazy athletic.

Atlanta's offense is going to be a lot better then people think this year with Matt Ryan and Roddie White and Norwood is nothing more then a change of pace back.

Lions didn't have good RB numbers in recent years because of Mike Martz's neglect of the run game...

That's a good point. But how good is the Detroit O-line, really?

Lions didn't have good RB numbers in recent years because of Mike Martz's neglect of the run game...Kevin Jones was decent before he got hurt. And he has the best WR duo this side of the mississippi.

He's a rookie, but I think he gets that starting gig and runs with it.

Turner will also be better than expected...the only kock I keep hearing is that he plays for atlanta. yes they arent good, but people love frank gore and his team is going to be worse you could argue.

I say turner goes for 1200 and 7 TDs...smith somewhere close to 1000 and 6.

These are the Lions. They didn't neglect the run game because they liked seeing Kitna get murdered or throw a pick every other play, they just always had to play from behind. With that said, until the Lions improve their defense there is absolutely no way I'm investing in their run game, I don't care who the coach is. Ditto for the Bungles. :thumbsdown:

Atlanta homer here and while the Falcons wont win many games, I don't think there offense will be terrible. Expect quite a few mistakes from Ryan that will kill some drives, but he is also progressing nicely and should be a decent #2 QB by week 6 or so. With White & Jenkins outside they have good but not great WRs. I think Turner will probably end up around 1100-1400 total yards & 7-10 total TD's. Norwood will get some carries, but not enough to decrease Turners value.

Conversely, you have a rookie RB (very few amount to squat), who is playing for a Lions team that is "supposedly" committed to running the ball. Which is strange seeing how their strength is clearly at WR. Word is Smith has not separated himself from Tinker Bell as of yet. That is NOT good news. Rod seems intent on winning low scoring games, which is good for running stats, but not so much for TD's, especially for a rookie back, who will most likely be splitting carries.

I don't think Smith can handle a 16 game schedule after the ridiculous number of carries he had in college. Even a young guy has to wear down. On the other hand, Turner should be pretty fresh and eager to prove he's more than just LT's backup. I like Turner more of the two. I have Turner ranked around 19 in non-PPR and Smith ranked 25th.

They're both unknowns with new offensive co-ordinators and crappy teams. It's kind of a coin-flip, but I like what I've seen in Turner more than Smith.

Norwood is going to steal a fair amount of touches from Turner. At this point Turner is moderately over-rated in my opinion. That being said, I have them ranked right next to each other. It's a toss up. If you feel like gambling, I'd go with Smith.

they paid turner big time money to come in and be the horse for their offense. norwood is intriguing to people because of his speed and highlight ability, but he is more effective in a complimentary role and as a receiver.

turner will get plenty of carries. I disagree about Turner being overrated, I think he is a little underrated.

I say stats wise they end up pretty similar after things are said and done. You have to look at draft value. Turner has an ADP of 4.06 while smith is 6.09. And many leagues will have people reach for Turner as well. So its either take Turner as your likely no.2 back or Smith as your no.3. I'd say Smith is a better value in the late 6th/7th round.

The lions running game won't blow anyone away but Smith should get his opportunities. After watching the 1st preseason game it was clear that he would be a much better inside runner than Bell, and he will fight for tough yards. They will atleast have the passing game to open things up and provide some scoring opportunities.

Also, Smith has been running with the 1st team in practice:

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=4638

And there is speculation that Bell might not even make the team if he isn't going to start week 1:

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=2665

I would say the only real concern about Smith is his 450 carries last year, but for the 7th round as a flex/3rd rb I think there is some good upside

[adp's are from fantasyfootballcalculator.com]

Been waiting for the 'Norwood will pass/run/receive for a combined 25000 yards this year!' dummies...

:thumbsup:

Norwood did have 6 YPC last year...

I don't know if he'll get 1000 yards, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with more than Turner.

I agree with the Turner assessments. Kevin Smith fell to the 11th round in my draft this morning, I was going to pick him and give the dice a roll since Tatum so sucked last year. But I wouldn't take him much more before that. I'd almost rather take a flyer on Caddy...