Sign in to follow this  
Fizzelps

Auction Format Help

Ok....so a league I am in is switching to an auction format and we are having disagreements on what roster requirements to have for the actual auction draft. Basically one camp wants to allow someone to be an idiot and just draft 1 player if they so choose, and then fill out the remaining roster via waiver wire and FA pickups. The other side(s) want to just fill out the starters, or maybe just one of every required position.

I personally am on the side that fills out all positions (starters and bench). I just don't have a great reason for wanting it this way and I am hoping that some of you can give good arguments one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

This is my second year doing auction. We fill out all the positions, even bench. I don't see how doing it otherwise makes any sense. It defeats the purpose of a draft if everyone chooses one player then it's a free for all on the waivers. Why don't you just call it a 'Waiver Draft'? :unsure:

This is my second year doing auction. We fill out all the positions, even bench. I don't see how doing it otherwise makes any sense. It defeats the purpose of a draft if everyone chooses one player then it's a free for all on the waivers. Why don't you just call it a 'Waiver Draft'? :unsure:

Agree 100%

Part of the auction strategy is to manage your cap on auction night.

We just had our second auction draft. We let owners manage their own rosters how they see fit. If they only want to fill out half their roster, that's fine. I think this adds more strategy and allows owners to do what they think is best for their team.

Usually the teams that have a small roster size after the draft are the worst ones. Either way you go, you'll be happy. It's not as big of a deal as you think.

13th year. We allow every team to spend how they see fit, even if they wind up with 2 players. But they must either fill out their roster or spend their $200 before the draft is complete, so as to prevent the "WaiverWire Draft." Only once have we had someone begin the season with an incomplete starting lineup.

He was not pleased with his season.

You have to fill the complete roster. It's a disadvantage for players commiting all of their money on two players and also a disadvantage to those who are going to fill their whole roster. The reason auction drafting is so popular is because you can target top rated players, and get them if you are willing to spend big money on them, and balance out your team later. If a team spends $100 on L.T. and $100 on A.P., and then uses the WW to fill the rest of their draft, owners who are going to fill their draft won't have a chance at them. You have to fill the roster using the draft. $200 is a good cap amount. I wouldn't go below or above.

You have to fill the complete roster. It's a disadvantage for players commiting all of their money on two players and also a disadvantage to those who are going to fill their whole roster. The reason auction drafting is so popular is because you can target top rated players, and get them if you are willing to spend big money on them, and balance out your team later. If a team spends $100 on L.T. and $100 on A.P., and then uses the WW to fill the rest of their draft, owners who are going to fill their draft won't have a chance at them. You have to fill the roster using the draft. $200 is a good cap amount. I wouldn't go below or above.

The owner with LT and AP will have the worst team in the league. Here is an example of what his starting lineup will be:

Pennington

LT, AP

Randel El, Furrey, Chad Jackson

some worthless TE

Plus on LT's and AP's bye weeks, those are two automatic losses right there.

Either way works for an auction....it's really not that big of a deal.

I play in two different auction systems:

One requires each team draft a specific number of players at each position.

Pro's: make it easy to create cheatsheets and track what a team needs during the draft

Con's: limits your inate ability to manage your team as you see fit i.e. requiring 2 K, 2 TE & 2 DEF

The other only requires each team to draft a starting lineup.

Pro's: allows for different strategies for bench players, especially sleepers & handcuffs

Con's: much harder to estimate cheatsheets after the first "round" & owners must be on their toes

If this is the first time and people feel edgy/nervous about the change then go with first option so owners can get their feet wet. Many may come to the same conclusions above about the con's and then you will have support for option two next year.

The owner with LT and AP will have the worst team in the league. Here is an example of what his starting lineup will be:

Pennington

LT, AP

Randel El, Furrey, Chad Jackson

some worthless TE

Plus on LT's and AP's bye weeks, those are two automatic losses right there.

Either way works for an auction....it's really not that big of a deal.

Not really. By spend all your money on 1 or two players and not filling your roster your're essentially bypassing the draft and going straight to the waiver system to choose players. Depending on what the priority of the waiver system, it basically turns into a snake draft with with picks determined by waiver priority. Just because a team has an empty roster doesn't mean he\she can shop-til-they-drop on waivers. The person who filled their entire roster could still drop someone and use the waivers just like the person who has an empty roster. Bottom line, it renders the Auction moot if everyone isn't fully participating. :music_guitarred:

Not really. By spend all your money on 1 or two players and not filling your roster your're essentially bypassing the draft and going straight to the waiver system to choose players. Depending on what the priority of the waiver system, it basically turns into a snake draft with with picks determined by waiver priority. Just because a team has an empty roster doesn't mean he\she can shop-til-they-drop on waivers. The person who filled their entire roster could still drop someone and use the waivers just like the person who has an empty roster. Bottom line, it renders the Auction moot if everyone isn't fully participating. :music_guitarred:

I'm not following your logic. If you spend all your money on a few players, you still participated....just not very well. By the time the auction draft completes, the waiver wire will have slim pickings. The owner that only filled a few roster spots is screwed.

If EVERY owner did this, then you would be correct. But that is beyond unrealistic.

I'm not following your logic. If you spend all your money on a few players, you still participated....just not very well. By the time the auction draft completes, the waiver wire will have slim pickings. The owner that only filled a few roster spots is screwed.

If EVERY owner did this, then you would be correct. But that is beyond unrealistic.

Why is it beyond realistic? If it's in the rules it's possible.

Every player on waivers should be assigned a base salary, $1. This would make it impossible for 'Team Goofytits' to add to his roster unless he dropped either LT ($100) or AP ($100) to free up cap space. Or trade of course.