Sign in to follow this  
Borat33

Stud WR theory - Does it work?

If you have the last pick this year and are not sold on the rb;s left is it wise to grab a TO and Wayne and have sick WR's and then piece meal your RB's later? I mean there is some value for rb's later on IMO. But I want to know if anyone has had success doing this?

Edit: I guess I should state that there is no Flex, you start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, soI dont see people taking 3 rb's right away as they can only start 2.

guy who won my league last season had... (16 team lg)

moss

b edwards

fitzgerald

santonio holmes and roddy white

2 flex spots, so he started 4

his only decent drafted running back was brandon jacobs, and henry but he got lucky and snagged ryan grant off the wire

he actually made it through the playoffs with no qb either (cambell on wash)

Last year I went Steve Smith and then Chad Johnson on back to back picks. It worked great for about the first 4 weeks but it focked me in the end because WR's are so streaky. You'll wish you had consistent RB's late in the season.

Last year I went Steve Smith and then Chad Johnson on back to back picks. It worked great for about the first 4 weeks but it focked me in the end because WR's are so streaky. You'll wish you had consistent RB's late in the season.

I agree but what kind of consistency will I get with Gore or LJ (I am assuming Lynch and Portis will be gone). Not sold on LJ, Grant, Gore, Lewis over these wr's.

I went TO/Wayne and ended up with this:

TO/Wayne

Jones-Drew/Roy Williams

T. Jones/J. Cotchery

K. Smith/D. Williams

O. Daniels/Cutler

C. Perry/Kitna

This is a ppr league and I went heavy on WR because that is where the value was. Getting Jones Drew at end of the 3rd was a bit lucky. My league we have the option of going 4 wide if we want.

2 RB

3WR

or

RB

4 WR

I agree but what kind of consistency will I get with Gore or LJ (I am assuming Lynch and Portis will be gone). Not sold on LJ, Grant, Gore, Lewis over these wr's.

I've seen RB RB RB work so often that I've converted. Sure those RB's could bust but chances are that one or two of them will have a great season and you can always grab middle tier WR's like crazy in the middle of the draft when everyone else is reaching for what's left of the RB's. EVERY year, one of those middle tier guys ends up jumping up and becoming a stud. It's not an exact science but it works more than it doesn't.

I tried taking WR's early last year because I got near the end of the draft order. I took Westbrook, CJ, Gates, then Roy Williams. It was lights out for about 4 or 5 weeks. (i had picked up Lamont Jordan later). Then Jordan went down then things changed in Detroit and Roy williams was not a stud and CJ just fell off. I was scrambling to find a 2nd RB all year, it sucked. I had Cadillac and some other bum in my draft. Cadillac went down too. And I was scouring the waiver wire. Furthermore Moss and Braylon Edwards were taken in the 6th and outperformed everyone. Oh and Calvin Johnson was taken around that time too.

I tried taking WR's early last year because I got near the end of the draft order. I took Westbrook, CJ, Gates, then Roy Williams. It was lights out for about 4 or 5 weeks. (i had picked up Lamont Jordan later). Then Jordan went down then things changed in Detroit and Roy williams was not a stud and CJ just fell off. I was scrambling to find a 2nd RB all year, it sucked. I had Cadillac and some other bum in my draft. Cadillac went down too. And I was scouring the waiver wire. Furthermore Moss and Braylon Edwards were taken in the 6th and outperformed everyone. Oh and Calvin Johnson was taken around that time too.

:shocking:

Yup. This is pretty much exactly what happened to me.

I went to the semi finals last year with Moss, Colston, and A. Johnson.

12-man league, non-PPR.

I went Addai first round last year, then took the value at WR the rest of the way. Ended up with Steve Smith, Roy Williams, Donald Driver, Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis and Antonio Gates at TE. 2nd RB was Edge. I later traded and got Marshawn Lynch. For the 1st 4 weeks of the season I was destroying people, winning by something like an average of 25 pts. Then the train jumped the tracks. In the end there was no way I could stand toe to toe with the guy who had Brady/SJax/Moss/JamalLewis. The only thing I'd change is that I would have gotten a better QB early, instead of waiting and ending up with Kitna. In fact I had a chance to grab Big Ben as my backup QB but didn't because he had the same bye week as Kitna. Had I taken him I might have won the the whole thing. I'll do the same thing this year and let people in my league take the old/slowing RB early while I stock up on WR and I'll gamble on the rookie RB's a bit after that. I'll just make sure to have something more proven at QB. But man when you have 2 STUDS WR and a good 3rd at a flex spot, although they're streaky, they're typically more consistent injury wise than RB's.

I can't say it's a "strategy" per se, i just take what the draft brings me and grab the players I want when I want them reasonably close to their ADP.

I went Addai first round last year, then took the value at WR the rest of the way. Ended up with Steve Smith, Roy Williams, Donald Driver, Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis and Antonio Gates at TE. 2nd RB was Edge. I later traded and got Marshawn Lynch. For the 1st 4 weeks of the season I was destroying people, winning by something like an average of 25 pts. Then the train jumped the tracks. In the end there was no way I could stand toe to toe with the guy who had Brady/SJax/Moss/JamalLewis. The only thing I'd change is that I would have gotten a better QB early, instead of waiting and ending up with Kitna. In fact I had a chance to grab Big Ben as my backup QB but didn't because he had the same bye week as Kitna. Had I taken him I might have won the the whole thing. I'll do the same thing this year and let people in my league take the old/slowing RB early while I stock up on WR and I'll gamble on the rookie RB's a bit after that. I'll just make sure to have something more proven at QB. But man when you have 2 STUDS WR and a good 3rd at a flex spot, although they're streaky, they're typically more consistent injury wise than RB's.

I can't say it's a "strategy" per se, i just take what the draft brings me and grab the players I want when I want them reasonably close to their ADP.

You bring up a good point. If I would have gotten a better QB earlier in the draft I would have been in a lot better shape. I still made the playoffs.

thinking of going stud WR also. I have LT as my keeper and I pick 3rd in the draft. I see Addai and MBIII going 1 then 2, that leaves me with Portis and Larry Johnson as the only 2 RB's i'd pick but i'm thinking i might just go Randy Moss. Last year i drafted Rudi Johnson 1st round thinking he was the safest pick, boy i was wrong with that, still made the playoffs with MBIII who i picked late in the draft. RB's can be had anywhere in the draft it seems.

Thats what I did this year. I dont think it normally works, but with so many RBBC's and injuries to RBs, I figured the safest bet would be to draft solid WRs and let other teams gamble on guys like LJ, Gore, Jacobs, etc... I drafted Moss and Wayne in the first 2 rounds, and was still able to pick up decent RBs later. (Bush, Lewis, Ronnie, Taylor)

I think drafting solid WRs is more safe this season than most of the RBs.

Top Tier RBs arent sure things anymore. (Look at what happened last season)

Thats what I did this year. I dont think it normally works, but with so many RBBC's and injuries to RBs, I figured the safest bet would be to draft solid WRs and let other teams gamble on guys like LJ, Gore, Jacobs, etc... I drafted Moss and Wayne in the first 2 rounds, and was still able to pick up decent RBs later. (Bush, Lewis, Ronnie, Taylor)

I think drafting solid WRs is more safe this season than most of the RBs.

Top Tier RBs arent sure things anymore. (Look at what happened last season)

I am leaning that way unless Portis or Lynch fall to me. I don't like spending a high pick on a guy on a bad team such as Gore or LJ. I just don't see them scoring many td's on those offenses.

Same predicament as you Borat - 12th spot, here.

If Portis and Lynch are both gone, I'm half contemplating a TO/Wayne back 2 back picks... if they're there. Although, I would also consider Gore (strange as that may seem). I don't like too many of the prospects at 12,13 outside of Marshawn, Portis, TO, Wayne. Maybe Housh or Fitzgerald, but that's a bit high imo, so who knows; and as much as I love Ryan Grant for pulling me through last season, I'm very leery of him this year... will have to see how things play out. I'm hoping Brady/Romo/Manning go ahead of me, which might allow Lynch and/or Portis to slide to me... doubtful though.

There should still be some serviceable backs available in the later rounds -- M Turner, McFadden, Edge, Forte... nothing too spectacular but enough to get you through week to week (although McFadden and Turner have the potential to outperform their ADPs).

12 teamer.

This one guy in my league made it to the finals 4 out of 5 years. He always came out of the draft looking like crap. But since he was not married to his roster he always had the room and willingness to scoop up that waiver wire RB once people started getting hurt. It would piss me off that nobody would block him, but they were more interested in their own rosters and how many RB's can i add to my team to block him!?

A few years ago my team was real nice,but i was missing a stud WR. I had the assetts so I went shopping.NOBODY would trade me their #1.

Leading up to last years draft I was having trouble picking/guessing who was gonna be the guy to pan out from a group of tier 2 RB's,names like T.Henry,R.Johnson

Thats when I had my choco/peanut butter moment--->Draft stud WR's! Let someone else figure out/guess right on who is going to seperate themselves from the 2nd level RB pack and let me sit back with my WR's ready to deal as soon as we know which guys are good. Basically let other teams do the guess work for you.

I went 3 wide..draft stud WRs, if possible use depth to trade for a #1 rb, and cultivate/find a RB#2.

For the first time I won my league last year. From #9 I drafted

01-T.Owens

02-S.Smith

04-R.Moss

This year I drafted

2.06 A.Johnson

2.07 L.Fitzgerald

3.06 C.Johnson

I traded down form 1.12/2.01 because I knew I could get WR's there still. RB situation can get scary at times, but i recommend you go WR/WR

Same predicament as you Borat - 12th spot, here.

If Portis and Lynch are both gone, I'm half contemplating a TO/Wayne back 2 back picks... if they're there. Although, I would also consider Gore (strange as that may seem). I don't like too many of the prospects at 12,13 outside of Marshawn, Portis, TO, Wayne. Maybe Housh or Fitzgerald, but that's a bit high imo, so who knows; and as much as I love Ryan Grant for pulling me through last season, I'm very leery of him this year... will have to see how things play out. I'm hoping Brady/Romo/Manning go ahead of me, which might allow Lynch and/or Portis to slide to me... doubtful though.

There should still be some serviceable backs available in the later rounds -- M Turner, McFadden, Edge, Forte... nothing too spectacular but enough to get you through week to week (although McFadden and Turner have the potential to outperform their ADPs).

We are on the same page here. I am drafting with some people I do not know so guys could definitely slip, if not going WR-WR!!

We are on the same page here. I am drafting with some people I do not know so guys could definitely slip, if not going WR-WR!!

If, for some reason, Lynch and Portis both slide to 12/13, i plan to swoop both them up, and then target Brandon Marshall AND Steve Smith at 36/37... :bench:

I'm saavy -- will be able to get through weeks 1 and 2, and then... rack up the points there on after (health / conduct violations permitting). I'll take that upside risk.

These days, having 3 stud WR's is definately the way to go. However, the 3 stud WR approach doesn't do a damn thing for you if you don't have some RB's to go with it. You need to have at least 1 stud RB in order for this approach to work. This year, I stacked up to make sure that I'm 3 deep in RB/WR positions...(Steven Jax, Jamal Lewis, Ronnie Brown), (Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings). Going this way gives you balance and depth.... You won't have to rely on just one position going this route..

Look at ADPs if you go WRs. You are looking at Graham. Maroney, FWP, McFadden, R. Brown (possibly R. Williams) in 4th round. You are looking at Selvin Young, Edge, J. Stewart, Kev. Smith, LenWhale in the 5th round. If you are happy with those RBs to go along with your stud WRs. Go for it.

Of course Std WR works, but for it to work you have to draft guys who will in fact be studs. If you draft WRs who are busts then the theory is not good. Also, several owners will go Stud WR this year in leagues and only one of them can win the title. So is it successful if 5 guys do it and only one wins the title?

Of course Std WR works, but for it to work you have to draft guys who will in fact be studs. If you draft WRs who are busts then the theory is not good.

That's it. I have won with the stud WR theory. I use it in PPR leagues. It may be harder to pull off in non-PPR.

i tried this in 2 drafts so far. The first league is ppr and the other is not. I had the 9th pick out of 12...Went Moss and Wayne. In my other league I had the 12th pick and went Moss/Owens....I also took Megatron in the 3rd round. My running backs are thomas jones, stewart, mendehall, washington and ricky williams

i tried this in 2 drafts so far. The first league is ppr and the other is not. I had the 9th pick out of 12...Went Moss and Wayne. In my other league I had the 12th pick and went Moss/Owens....I also took Megatron in the 3rd round. My running backs are thomas jones, stewart, mendehall, washington and ricky williams

I ended up with a lot of the same guys as you did in that second one. Moss/TO/RW are all on one team I'm in where I used the WR theory. THe RBs flew off the bored so I didn't much of a choice. I am more than happy with the team I put together in that one.

We'll see if it works for me this year. I drafted 2nd overall and we have PPR and we only start 2 Wr's

ROUND

Anderson, Derek CLE QB 7

Schaub, Matt HOU QB 9

Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB 11

Graham, Earnest TBB RB 4

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 1

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 6

Engram, Bobby SEA WR 10

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 2

Johnson, Chad CIN WR 3

Mason, Derrick BAL WR 8

Lee, Donald GBP TE

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE 5

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Cardinals, Arizona ARI Def

Colts, Indianapolis IND Def

We'll see if it works for me this year. I drafted 2nd overall and we have PPR and we only start 2 Wr's

ROUND

Anderson, Derek CLE QB 7

Schaub, Matt HOU QB 9

Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB 11

Graham, Earnest TBB RB 4

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 1

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 6

Engram, Bobby SEA WR 10

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 2

Johnson, Chad CIN WR 3

Mason, Derrick BAL WR 8

Lee, Donald GBP TE

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE 5

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Cardinals, Arizona ARI Def

Colts, Indianapolis IND Def

Where are the stud WRs??? :music_guitarred:

I just realized that my league is starting 3 WR's this year. It's always been two. Now I'm really thinking about taking a RB with my #5 pick and then two top tier WR's.

i agree if you are late in the draft then it is not a bad idea to go WR/WR if you are 10 or later (in 12 team league).. but if you can get someone like MBIII at the 7 spot.. go for it!!

i agree if you are late in the draft then it is not a bad idea to go WR/WR if you are 10 or later (in 12 team league).. but if you can get someone like MBIII at the 7 spot.. go for it!!

Well guys I had my draft and I did go WR-WR. As stated earlier we use a 1 QB, 2 wr, 2 RB, 1TE , a K and a D. So with the 12th pick Moss was there. Had to take him and Lynch, Gore and Portis were gone so I went with TO. This is my roster, let me know what you think.

QB - Favre, Cutler

WR - TO, Randy Moss, Roddy White, Sidney Rice

RB - Turner, Maroney, Lendale White, Slaton and Maurice Morris

TE - Winslow, LJ Smith

D - Steelers, Panthers

K - Grammatica, Reed

I think this team will be pretty good. The rb's all have some upside and my wr and TE are top of the charts. I also like the Favre - Cutler platoon.

Your thoughts?

Are you sure about that. :overhead:

Look at ADPs if you go WRs. You are looking at Graham. Maroney, FWP, McFadden, R. Brown (possibly R. Williams) in 4th round. You are looking at Selvin Young, Edge, J. Stewart, Kev. Smith, LenWhale in the 5th round. If you are happy with those RBs to go along with your stud WRs. Go for it.

RB - Turner, Maroney, Lendale White, Slaton and Maurice Morris

I like your RBs. Congrats on winning your league.

Will be testing this theory as well, unless some of the top RBs drop late, I traded my 1.3 pick for 2.8 and 4.8. Plan to take whatever stud WRs are available 2.7 and 2.8 and 3.3 (10 team league) hoping for braylon edwards, fitzgerald, colston, but also would like steve smith, reggie wayne etc. If I can start a run on WRs then I will be able to pick up decent RBs with my 4.7 and 4.8 or a great TE and QB. RBs to me seem a lot more iffy this year, even the studs have the potential to be crap (westbrook will be injured by game 6, and who knows if SJAX will be able to stay healthy, Addai started splitting carries late in the season - ie didn't like the third pick).

I think that there was an article on the huddle.com said that stud WRs can get you to the playoffs but stud RBs actually help you win in the playoffs. And then they broke down the production levels of RBs and top WRs in the last few weeks (fantasy playoffs) of the season. The changes in the wx, late season injures to starting QBs translate into more conservative game plans.....and teams that are fighting for their playoff lives might gear up to play tougher D.

I like your RBs. Congrats on winning your league.

:lol: :overhead:

We shall see. I just felt Moss and TO were much better than LJ, MJD and those types. I don't love my rb's but I think they will be serviceable.

:thumbsup: :shocking:

We shall see. I just felt Moss and TO were much better than LJ, MJD and those types. I don't love my rb's but I think they will be serviceable.

I'm in a similar boat -- ended up with TO and Wayne. Couldn't justify LJ at 12, and definitely not MJD (he and Ocho Cinco are the 2 biggest overvalues in ffb the past few years)...

My starting RBs (T Jones and Edge) should be unspectacularly serviceable and my backup RBs (Matt Forte and Ray Rice) have some potential upside.

Brandon Marshall nearly slid to me at 60, but went around 57. It was tragic...

I surrounded the rest of my team with solid depth per usual, so I'll be alright -- and will pounce on any WW gems as always.

All in all -- I hate the 12 spot