Sign in to follow this  
despleyj

Why can't Farve be a top 5 quarterback?

Brett Farve has seemed to fall quite a lot in drafts, but i am not sure why. He has solid wr and doesn't appear to have lost a step. i know it is a new system, but he is playing in the afc east now which should lead to better numbers as the defenses aren't as solid. So why can't he be an elite QB?

Agree 100%. He can and I believe he will be a top fantasy QB this year. Solid running game, good WRs. The only question is the o-line which has been rebuilt, but added Faneca. As long as those guys up front gel (typical football analyst cliche), they have the weapons to be a pretty potent offensive team. I didn't even mention the rookie TE Heller. I'm just pissed that someone else in my league thought the same thing I did and grabbed Favre in the 5th round. I was hoping he'd be there in the 6th.

Possibly 25-28 TD passes, 3500 yds, but you gotta mix in the 19 INTs.

Favre has the tools, the experience, and the offensive weapons...what he doesn't have is the playcalling.

Like it or not, this offense is very conservative. The only way Favre sniffs Top 5 is with a new playbook.

i think no new playbook needed...........remember they had pennington, who could barely throw the ball 20 yards, and clemons..ok enough of that........farve still has a rifle right arm, and yea im sure he will have his share of ints, but how long has it been since coles or crotchery has had a ball downfield, i mean like deep downfield 40-50 yards right on the mark in stride, or a slant route on mark in stride??

that said i think farve is all over the top 10 in fantasy QBS this year..

Why can't Farve be a top 5 quarterback?

Well, let's see...last year was Favre's best year in three years (since 2004). Playing on his best overall team in years helped quit a bit. The 2008 Favre will once again be on an overall poor team. Favre has proven in the past that his stats and play ebb and flow with those of the team he's playing with. Bad team = bad Favre. Sure, Favre helps improve the Jets and almost any team, but if he couldn't carry lesser Pack teams, he won't carry this Jet team and his stats will reflect that.

Again, last year was a great year for Favre. Yet, depending on the scoring, he was not top 5 then. So...why would he be top 5 this year???

I don't see the actual top 5 ( or 6 - Brady, Peyton, Romo, Brees, Ben, Anderson) slipping any this year and other QB that had off years or were hurt will also outperform Favre (Palmer, McNabb).

Favre will likely be around 3500 yards, 21 TDs and 17 INTs.

If that gets you top 5 in your league...more power to you!

I think top 15-20 (in fantasy) would be a more realistic goal.

The 2008 Favre will once again be on an overall poor team. Favre has proven in the past that his stats and play ebb and flow with those of the team he's playing with. Bad team = bad Favre. Sure, Favre helps improve the Jets and almost any team, but if he couldn't carry lesser Pack teams, he won't carry this Jet team and his stats will reflect that.

Again, last year was a great year for Favre. Yet, depending on the scoring, he was not top 5 then. So...why would he be top 5 this year???

Favre will likely be around 3500 yards, 21 TDs and 17 INTs.

If that gets you top 5 in your league...more power to you!

The Jets as a whole only scored 21 Td's last year. The Td's from their running game were a total non factor.

They really sucked! I do not see them fairing the same fate this season. So if B.Favre or any other Qb for the Jets can throw for 21 Td's, I'll take it anyday.

Top 5 Qb? I doubt it too. But he doesn't have t be for the Jets to be a much improved team from last year.

Fantasy wise...You do not need a top 5 Qb to win. All you need is a well ballanced all around team. Draft well and you will be successful even with a lesser than top 5 Qb.

How many wins do you give this as you put it "Bad Team" ?

The Jets as a whole only scored 21 Td's last year. The Td's from their running game were a total non factor.

They really sucked! I do not see them fairing the same fate this season. So if B.Favre or any other Qb for the Jets can throw for 21 Td's, I'll take it anyday.

Top 5 Qb? I doubt it too. But he doesn't have t be for the Jets to be a much improved team from last year.

Fantasy wise...You do not need a top 5 Qb to win. All you need is a well ballanced all around team. Draft well and you will be successful even with a lesser than top 5 Qb.

How many wins do you give this as you put it "Bad Team" ?

The question wasn't if you needed a top 5 QB to win in FF or if the Jets needed a top 5 QB to win.

The question was will Favre be a top 5 QB and why not.

As to your question of how many wins the Jets can expect...they were 4-12 last year, they added Favre and Faneca (two aging stars) while their biggest loss was probably Vilma ( a great talent wasted in their scheme). In the draft they added Gholston who hasn't shown anything at all yet and not much else. So, a 4-12 team that, essentially, added Favre...how much do you expect them to improve??? I see them being extremely fortunate to go 9-7. VERY fortunate!

They have 10 "winnable" games (Miami 2x, Buffalo 2x, Ari, Cincy, Oak, KC, StL, and SF) and 6 likely losses (NE 2x, SD, Tenn, Den, Sea). Let's say they win 2 of those 6 "loseable" games and lose 3 of those 10 "winnable games...that's still 9-7. I don't see how they can do much better than that with their current talent level.

Jets may have a conservative playbook but this IS Brett Favre. The same one who confounded his coaches by throwing caution to the wind and airing it out despite what they told him. He'll throw the ball

regardless of what the coaches say.

No, I didn't draft Favre this year; he went in fourth round which was too steep for me. I think he'll make the top 8; 5 is a big stretch.

10 winnable games is a potential playoff team.

I don't know what we'll get out of Gholston but I think I know what Calvin Pace will give us. He has looked great in pre season so far. And with the addidion of Kris Jenkins as our new run stopper the Jets defense will be much better this season.

I have them winning no less than 10. I think they'll win 11 though. And I think they will probably beat N.E once too.

What can I say, I'm a Jets fan.

As to your question of how many wins the Jets can expect...they were 4-12 last year, they added Favre and Faneca (two aging stars) while their biggest loss was probably Vilma ( a great talent wasted in their scheme). In the draft they added Gholston who hasn't shown anything at all yet and not much else.

Kris Jenkins and Damien Woody were also both major additions.

10 winnable games is a potential playoff team.

I don't know what we'll get out of Gholston but I think I know what Calvin Pace will give us. He has looked great in pre season so far. And with the addidion of Kris Jenkins as our new run stopper the Jets defense will be much better this season.

I have them winning no less than 10. I think they'll win 11 though. And I think they will probably beat N.E once too.

What can I say, I'm a Jets fan.

10 winnable games does NOT mean they win 10 games. Not in the NFL.

But I'll go with your logic as a Steelers fan and say they go 19-0!

:dunno:

The Steelers have almost as much chance of doing that as the Jets have at going from 4 wins to 11 by adding Favre.

:cry:

10 winnable games does NOT mean they win 10 games. Not in the NFL.

But I'll go with your logic as a Steelers fan and say they go 19-0!

:dunno:

The Steelers have almost as much chance of doing that as the Jets have at going from 4 wins to 11 by adding Favre.

:cry:

Well, if the Jets ever did go 19-0 at least it would be one more win than NE had. :cry:

We havn't been to the Superbowl in light years. But the Jets are trying to get better, and I do like the moves they have been making. Do I know what will happen? Nope. One thing is for sure, no matter how old he is I will have a great time watching Brett Favre play Qb for the NY Jets. :cry: