Sign in to follow this  
Inferno

If you have a top 5 pick...

Here's my 2 cents on the top five picks. I encourage anyone with facts (or speculation) to participate. In no particular order:

1. Adrian Peterson

Everyone has him #1 and I'm not going to disagree. The only downside may be an injury.

2. Michael Turner

The downside is inconsistency. Just can't seem to show up whenever an opposing defense does. This is a big concern for me. According to one strengh-of-schedule list I saw, Atlanta has the most difficult (#32) schedule against run defenses. I don't think Turner is at the point where SOS can simply be ignored like other studs because last season showed that it DOES matter for him. I think Atlanta as a whole is going to suffer a letdown like the Saints after their NFC championship appearance. Like the Saints, they took everyone by surprise and showcased a lot of talent. Following their conference loss, the Saints look below average all over the field. Give opposing teams enough time to figure out your playbook and they will. I think we're due to see the same happen to the Falcons. His big games are definitely enticing, but I'm having trouble getting past his schedule. His carry load last season is a little scary as well.

3. Matt Forte

Had a good rookie season and there's no reason to believe that he won't be just as good or better with Cutler. Bears have a good schedule and he a great pass catcher, so he'll only be pulled from the lineup for an occasional play or two. Lacks explosive playmaking ability that you'd like to see from a top pick. He's the safest pick after Peterson.

4. MJD

Could have a year like Turner did last year after being forced into a committee role for so long. I'm not entirely sure if he'll get the ball as much as we'd like or if another back will be substituted in to fill the committee. Any news on this?

5. Deangelo Williams

If he's going to be getting the ball 20+ times a game, I'd be grabbing him at #2. The glitch here is that Carolina may still be sharing the ball despite what they saw from Williams last season. Running SOS looks awful difficult, but for or some reason, he's not getting a lot of love and is frequently ranked outside the top 4 even after a 5.5 yards/carry season. S. Jackson in St. Louis is getting picked ahead of him, which is insane. Anyone know how the workload looks this year?

Pretty good analysis.

I have #2 pick in .5 ppr league and was set on taking MJD and now i have no idea what to do.

D Will is a good pick

Forte is a good pick (minus fantasy playoffs)

Turner's SOS is at #32? Yeah, overall, it's pretty tough throughout, but at least he doesn't face any of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Minnesota. His fantasy playoff schedule doesn't seem too bad though. Williams' playoff schedule on the other hand, looks pretty tough (although the rest of his schedule doesn't look quite as bad as Turner's).

I'll take my 15 touchdowns from Randy Moss, thank you very much.

You're taking Moss in the top 5? :music_guitarred:

4. MJD

Could have a year like Turner did last year after being forced into a committee role for so long. I'm not entirely sure if he'll get the ball as much as we'd like or if another back will be substituted in to fill the committee. Any news on this?

Just read this on MJD from Rotoworld...

Maurice Jones-Drew expects to receive 330-350 touches this season.

"The game has evolved a little bit, thanks to Marshall Faulk, and Brian Westbrook and even Brian Mitchell with the Redskins," said Jones-Drew. "The position is more about touches now than carries." MJD makes a salient point, and we expect him to be among the league-leaders in RB receptions while touching the ball around 340 times.

Just read this on MJD from Rotoworld...

Maurice Jones-Drew expects to receive 330-350 touches this season.

"The game has evolved a little bit, thanks to Marshall Faulk, and Brian Westbrook and even Brian Mitchell with the Redskins," said Jones-Drew. "The position is more about touches now than carries." MJD makes a salient point, and we expect him to be among the league-leaders in RB receptions while touching the ball around 340 times.

God i hope that happens.

Would it be crazy to take DWil at pick 2? Or would you just go MJD or Turner?

Thanks

Would it be crazy to take DWil at pick 2? Or would you just go MJD or Turner?

Thanks

I don't think it's crazy (at any pick) to take anyone that you want that wont get back to you in the next round.

Only stupid picks are when you would get the same guy in the next round IMO.

DeAngelo Williams is supposed to get the bulk of the carries this year...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/ar.../13/entryId/166

I think he may move up to #3 or #4 on my rankings.

Not really trying to be a hater b/c D-Will is one of the best RB talents in the league but this is all Pat Yasinskas' opinion.

"There's a sudden surge of talk that DeAngelo Williams is one of the best running backs in the league. His production last year showed he's already there. But I think Williams will only enhance things this year. He won over the coaching staff with his play and the fact he's not a fumbler. That means a lot in Fox's eyes. Yes, Williams may be splitting carries with Jonathan Stewart, but Stewart's been banged up much of the preseason. Even if Stewart is healthy for the regular season, (I believe) Williams still will get the bulk of the carries."

The production is there, he doesn't fumble...that much is for sure. But the rest of this is not coming out of John Fox's mouth. Maybe it is only a matter of time before Fox confirms this, but until it is obvious to the coach, it isn't obvious to my fantasy team. I have learned to be very critical of anything that comes out the Worldwide Leader. The bloggers are no exception.