Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

TD Only League (Favor For A Friend)

I have been asked to join a TD only league that has 16 teams. It's a league that has been around a very long time and they have kept it that way since inception. The draft is tomorrow night and I have no fricking idea how to play in a TD only league. I won't know what spot I will be drafting from until draft night. The rules are simple. Serpentine Draft & TD only. Ugh! Draft 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 Flex RB/WR and 1 Kicker.

I'll be using FFTodays player rankings set for TD only scoring. I'm assuming that the fist seven or eight picks are going to be QB. After that, a mix of RB and WR to end the 1st round? If you are picking late first round, go with a RB or WR and wait on QB in the third or fourth round? Any help is appreciated.

Rule #1 : Kickers dont score TDs :wacko:

I would just boost people like LenDale and other vultures. Other than that TDs are hard to predict.

draft guys who score a lot of TD's...

:wacko:

ok. seriously. target RB's that get a lot changes in side the 20 and particularly the 10 (Turner, Lendale, whoever is the short ydg guy in Pittsburgh). Target WR's who get made redzone love (Calvin, Randy, Chris Henry, Anquan Boldin). TO may have down season overall, but he's still a redzone beast. Late guys like Hixon and Sweed are young guys that will probably get 6-8 TD's easy.

draft guys who score a lot of TD's...

:lol:

ok. seriously. target RB's that get a lot changes in side the 20 and particularly the 10 (Turner, Lendale, whoever is the short ydg guy in Pittsburgh). Target WR's who get made redzone love (Calvin, Randy, Chris Henry, Anquan Boldin). TO may have down season overall, but he's still a redzone beast. Late guys like Hixon and Sweed are young guys that will probably get 6-8 TD's easy.

:)

If you were in a draft like this, what would be your stratergy in picking your first QB, WR, RB. If you get the first pick, you go with Brees, Brady or Manning. 30+ TD's probable from each. Toward the middle of the first round and end, best available RB or WR and wait on QB? Seems logical. After the top six QB's are gone, they all are about the same when it comes to TD's. :wacko:

There's a $100.00 entry fee. I want to at least get my money back.

:)

If you were in a draft like this, what would be your stratergy in picking your first QB, WR, RB. If you get the first pick, you go with Brees, Brady or Manning. 30+ TD's probable from each. Toward the middle of the first round and end, best available RB or WR and wait on QB? Seems logical. After the top six QB's are gone, they all are about the same when it comes to TD's. :wacko:

There's a $100.00 entry fee. I want to at least get my money back.

absolutely, Brady is the #1 pick in that league, probably followed closely by Brees, Manning and Rodgers. Part of me says to rank every player based on what you reasonably project their TD total and pick the highest value from there. By my estimation there are 8 QB's with 25 TD potential, maybe 12 RB's with 10 TD potential, maybe 8 WR's with 10 TD potential and some real values at TE where there are about 5 guys with 8+ TD potential. Obviously some of it will depend on your roster limits, if you're starting 2/3RB obviously you have to move up the guys who vulture, quite a bit. Rotoworld has a decent breakdown of the primary vs goal line vs 3rd down carrier for each team right now.

You have come to the right place, my friend. I am in an old TD only league for 10 years that has been in existence since 1985, and have managed 5 playoff appearances, 3 SB appearances, and one trophy.

Year after year, the winning teams always have one thing in common.......a super-stud RB during a peak TD year (Priest, Faulk, Stephen Davis/LT, DWill.....etc), backed up by a stud, usually sleeper, QB. Get your RB first. Grab a Turner, Jacobs, DWill.....or whomever you preddict will score 20+ TD's. Others will be grabbing QB's, but will miss out on a stud RB. The secret is a sleeper QB. Last year mine was Warner......the year before it was Brady (who nobody expected to go off). I believe Schaub has a chance to be this type of QB this year (and Palmer/Hasselbeck to a lesser extent). Remember, the difference between a Peyton and a Schaub may only be 3-8 TD's. However, the difference between a DWill and a DMac could easily be 10-15 TD's.

After you have your stud RB and sleeper QB, get a stud TE (Clark/Gates) before the first TE run. Then, focus on potential TD vulture WR's.....like Chris Henry/Walter/Housh or Burl/Bryant/A. Gonzo/TO etc.....and Rb's like Benson/Hightower/Hillis/Landwhale/LJ etc.....all of which are capable of 10+ TD's.

As always, save your D and kicker for last.

Best of luck. They are interesting leagues.

BUMP!

The thing that most intrigues me about this league, is, that it's as close to being what it started out being. TD Only back in the seventies. This is as close to being as real as it gets. I am playing in a league that still believes in it's origin, so to speak! We won't know the draft order until draft day. I am playing in a league that is similar to what it was when Fantasy Football was started. Reading the USA TODAY or local rag to get info. I am in numerous leagues that have yardage and receptions. This is the real deal!!! Luck and skill are all relivant! To win this fawker, is all on me. Old School and Loving It!!!!!

The only thing to be concerned about in a TD league is drop off per position. Brady may score the "most" points overall, but he may only be 25 points better then Rodgers/Warner/Rivers etc. However, Moss may be 60 points better then Fitz, CJ etc. It is independent of total scoring, but more based on drop off per position.

For this year, I would say WR is where the biggest drop off will occur. So I would try to get 1 elite WR, then and elite RB, then best player, then look for a QB in round 4-5.

I play in a TD league and you need to make sure all TD's score the same. Our league doubles the points if a RB catches a td or a QB rushes a TD etc. Also the points get higher the longer the td is.