Sign in to follow this  
deejsixer

Is Eddie Royal worth making a move on?

I still think Royal can equal Marshall's output in PPR leagues this year (Well, not equal but come close). Add in getting Barber and it seems like I should pull the trigger. Any opinions?

Absolutely you pull the trigger on a trade like this. Even if Royal wasn't included in this deal I think it's a steal for you. Barber is a first two round player regardless of format. With Romo struggling he is going to continue to be relied upon to produce.

Absolutely you pull the trigger on a trade like this. Even if Royal wasn't included in this deal I think it's a steal for you. Barber is a first two round player regardless of format. With Romo struggling he is going to continue to be relied upon to produce.

marshall will 100% outproduce royal and MBIII is a stud rb. It depends on how his team looks.

Do it only if you have the WR depth and need a RB because Royal isn't startable right now. He has yet to surpass 20 receiving yards in a game and doesn't seem to have a role in the offense so far outside of returning kicks. Someone actually just dropped him in my 12 team league and I can't blame them. He's worth stashing if you have the space and patience to see if he can turn things around, but that's about it right now.

I just dropped Eddie Royal in a 10 team league and I held onto Percy Harvin and Earl Bennett instead. While I expect Royal will improve (he can't do any worse) I think it is difficult to expect him to outperform replacement receivers(basically the quality of a receiver you could pick up at anytime). The defense in Denver looks great and the team could be running focused from here out - and Orton has had no interest in Royal and rarely targets him. With that said I would likely trade Marshall for Barber straight up depending on the rest of my team - but no, Royal is not worth making a move on and I think he should be considered as worthless.

As long as Kyle Orton is the QB in Denver, Royal will be worthless in the fantasy world(still a very nice decoy in the real NFL). Orton simply lacks the tools to take advantage of a player like Royal. Not saying he is a bad QB, because he isn't, but he 'aint hitting any WR consistantly on throws longer than 15+ yards down the field, he just doesn't have the accuracy.

As long as Kyle Orton is the QB in Denver, Royal will be worthless in the fantasy world(still a very nice decoy in the real NFL). Orton simply lacks the tools to take advantage of a player like Royal. Not saying he is a bad QB, because he isn't, but he 'aint hitting any WR consistantly on throws longer than 15+ yards down the field, he just doesn't have the accuracy.

This analysis makes no sense - its like some cookie cutter blurb that wasn't even written for the player in question, e.g., square peg/round hole.

Royal's strength from day one is crisp route running. Last year he had 91 catches for 980 yards - that's less than 11 yards per catch if math isn't your strong suit - and you think the issue is Orton can't deliver the ball downfiield?

One thing that changed this year is Royal is being moved around a lot. New offense, and instead of learning just the X spot like last year, he is responsible for knowing all 3 WR positions (either side plus the slot). He's also getting a lot more attention than 2008.

I realize neckbeard is always ripe for criticism, but he's not forcing the ball this year - 5 TDs, 0 INTs. But (obvs) he is also not being asked to do all that much. Buckhalter was terrific before he got hurt, Moreno is coming along just fine, and the defense has been stellar.

Eddie Royal's biggest problem in 2009 is the way the offense is structured. They're 24th in attempts, 26th in completions - just not a lot of balls to go around so far. Its suprising and disappointing from a FF perspective, but I think the next 3 quarters will all be far more productive than the first 25% of the season.

This analysis makes no sense - its like some cookie cutter blurb that wasn't even written for the player in question, e.g., square peg/round hole.

Royal's strength from day one is crisp route running. Last year he had 91 catches for 980 yards - that's less than 11 yards per catch if math isn't your strong suit - and you think the issue is Orton can't deliver the ball downfiield?

One thing that changed this year is Royal is being moved around a lot. New offense, and instead of learning just the X spot like last year, he is responsible for knowing all 3 WR positions (either side plus the slot). He's also getting a lot more attention than 2008.

I realize neckbeard is always ripe for criticism, but he's not forcing the ball this year - 5 TDs, 0 INTs. But (obvs) he is also not being asked to do all that much. Buckhalter was terrific before he got hurt, Moreno is coming along just fine, and the defense has been stellar.

Eddie Royal's biggest problem in 2009 is the way the offense is structured. They're 24th in attempts, 26th in completions - just not a lot of balls to go around so far. Its suprising and disappointing from a FF perspective, but I think the next 3 quarters will all be far more productive than the first 25% of the season.

There is substance to both comments. Royal is a little guy and Orton has been terrible with his accuracy. I am sure his injured finger is part of the problem. I also think the new offense for both Orton and Royal is a work in progress. It is a complicated offense and as Ortons accuracy and comfort level improves and Royal learns how read and run the hot routes given by defenses (welker is a master) Royals results will improve. It is easier to hit a 6'5" guy when inaccurate than a 5'9" (or whatever) player.

I think owners should be patient and expect a better second half of the year from Royal. I am keeping him on the bench till the improvement occurs. I believe it will! :rolleyes:

someone beat me to it but this is terrible analysis.

if Orton lacks the tools to take advantage of anyone its Marshall not Royal. Marshall is the deep threat. Royal (if properly used in a Wes Welker type role) wouldn't need to get the ball beyond 10 yards downfield too often.

More likely the reasons for Royals lack of success are a weak rapport with Orton, offensive play calling, and too many looks going to Gaffney and Stokely.