Sign in to follow this  
Boston_Diablo

Fleaflicker Commissioners and the Meachem TD...

Fleaflicker admin has stated that they have scored the TD as an "offensive fumble recovery TD"... this is in contradiction to the official NFL box score, which lists the play as a "defensive fumble recovery"... which in turn would mean a defensive TD.

Our league's #1 seed in the playoffs will be decided by this... Assuming the NFL does not change the scoring, what are you thinking of doing? I'm leaning towards changing the box score to be consistent with the NFL and allowing the Def TD (we've done this before, but not with so much on the line).

Thoughts?

I don't use Fleaflicker and luckily the league I commish the team started the Jets D over the Saints this week. So I do not have to worry about it. However my stance has always been to rule as the website inwhich the league is set up rules.

The reason is that it takes any guesswork and owner backlash that the commish is favoring one team over another out of the equation. The website rule is what stands.

I just think scoring should be consistent... if offensive turnover TDs count against your defense then this should count for them. If the turnover points don't count, then this shouldn't either.

However my stance has always been to rule as the website inwhich the league is set up rules.

Do not waver from this stance.

I just think scoring should be consistent... if offensive turnover TDs count against your defense then this should count for them. If the turnover points don't count, then this shouldn't either.

Good point... In our league, if the offense fumbles and the Defense scores a TD on it, the defensive team for that offense would take a hit and the score count against them even though the defense was not on the field.

i emailed the NFL to see what the official ruling is. i asked if it was considered a TD for the Saints offense or defense/special teams. When or if i get an answer i will post it.

one fella on here insist it is an offensive TD but in the NFL's box score it does not show up that way. So i will wait and see if i get a response.

if anyone plays fantasy football on NFL.COM how did they score it???

i emailed the NFL to see what the official ruling is. i asked if it was considered a TD for the Saints offense or defense/special teams. When or if i get an answer i will post it.

one fella on here insist it is an offensive TD but in the NFL's box score it does not show up that way. So i will wait and see if i get a response.

if anyone plays fantasy football on NFL.COM how did they score it???

I have read in other threads / sites that the NFL.com is scoring it as a Def TD in their fantasy league

Fleaflicker admin has stated that they have scored the TD as an "offensive fumble recovery TD"... this is in contradiction to the official NFL box score, which lists the play as a "defensive fumble recovery"... which in turn would mean a defensive TD.

I think you're incorrect here. The NFL box score does not list it as a "defensive fumble recovery". It's technically listed as a "Misc Fumble Recovery". Furthermore, the NFL officially considers the TD to be an "offensive touchdown".

There was a change of possession, therefore, I think the way it works is the NFL says Washington is then on offense, NO on defense. So the fumble recovery technically is by the "defense". In our league NO gets the 6 pts and so does Meacham (but not the yards)

No defense was involved here -- the NoLa Offense was on the field. It should be 6 points for Meachem and rushing yardage from the spot.

Fortunately, this won't make a difference in scoring or playoff seeding. However, if the guy with the Saints defense asks me to manually edit the box score, I'll probably do it. My personal opinion is that it's a fumble recovery and TD for the Saints D.

Fortunately, this won't make a difference in scoring or playoff seeding. However, if the guy with the Saints defense asks me to manually edit the box score, I'll probably do it. My personal opinion is that it's a fumble recovery and TD for the Saints D.

This is the problem. There is a case for both sides and since it's "opinion" based for a commish to change anything based on HIS opinion is very sketchy if you ask me. In order to remain consistent it is best to rule by way of the website that hosts your league rules.

Even though I'm the commish, am down against my opponent, and have the Saints D, I'm going by what fleaflicker rules (which looks like they will not be crediting the D). If you want to consider a turnover an "in play" change of possession, then technically 1) every fumble recovery and interception for a TD by a defensive unit should be counted as an offensive TD and 2) when Meachem stripped the ball, there should be a second change of possession and the Saints D is now back on offense so their defense still does not get credit.

For the record, Elias Sports bureau (official stats for the NFL) records this as a fumble recovery for a TD, not a defensive TD.

This is the problem. There is a case for both sides and since it's "opinion" based for a commish to change anything based on HIS opinion is very sketchy if you ask me. In order to remain consistent it is best to rule by way of the website that hosts your league rules.

That's just it. I don't believe there is a case for both sides. The instant the ball was intercepted, the Saints defense was on the field regardless of the personnel involved. I may be mistaken, but most leagues do not give special teams point for a fake fg or fake punt that results in a TD, right? Even though the special teams are on the field. That's because the minute they don't try a kick, they are considered an offense. Same concept here.

That's just it. I don't believe there is a case for both sides. The instant the ball was intercepted, the Saints defense was on the field regardless of the personnel involved. I may be mistaken, but most leagues do not give special teams point for a fake fg or fake punt that results in a TD, right? Even though the special teams are on the field. That's because the minute they don't try a kick, they are considered an offense. Same concept here.

Here's why you can't really compare this to a Special Teams Play:

- the NFL calculates Special Teams stats based solely on whether a ball has been kicked.

- the NFL calculates Defensive stats based mostly on which team was on Defense at the start of the play.

So, for example, the NFL credits Meachem's forced fumble to the defense; but his fumble recovery is NOT credited to the defense, and his touchdown is also NOT credited to the defense.

From the NFL's point of view, Meachem was indeed on defense at the point of the interception; but once he recovered the fumble, he was no longer on defense.

You are correct. There is only one way to look at it.

Which is why multiple NFL websites vary on the interpretation of said scoring. :dunno:

There are multiple ways to interpret this. Fantasy Football is based on statistics and statistics can be construed and intrepeted different ways. Hence why this is so confusing.

Unless your league has a baseline to over-rule (like Mephisto's league does) then you must go with the host site. If you disagree with the host site then state as much as commish and make that the baseline for all future scenarios as such. However you can't commish on the fly based on your opinion. Well, you can, but that is dooshy and opens up a can of worms.

from what i understand is because the saints offensive was on the field on the snap of the ball, when they gained back position being it was on the same down they reverted back to offense.

the fumble counts as a defensive fumble because at the change of possesion for the int new orleans became the defense, but once meachem gain possession because it all happened on the same down the New orleans started as offense it reverted back to an offense posession.

so it should be a fumble for the saints D and a touchdown for meach plus rushing yards.

one league scored it as a touchdown and we play 10pt defensive touchdowns and yes that who i played against. Saints D got 21 pts... (CBS)

other league that i have the saints D (6 pt defensive touchdowns) it was not ruled a touchdown and I got 8pts..

big difference