Sign in to follow this  
pook187

Commish Dilemma

One of my work leagues just ended and the commish sends out an email asking everyone to pay their $50. The problem is half the league says they're not going to pay because they thought it wasn't a paid entry.

Our work league has always been a $50 buy-in going on 7 years now. But what's changed is our normal commish and 2-3 steady teams declined to play this year, no money was collected before the season and the commish used a free NFL fantasy league. Normally we'd always go with a premium service. We couldn't even draft our own players this year with this service. All you could do was rank them.

So anyway, half of the league says they played all year thinking this was a free league.

I can see both sides of the story and I know if I'd won I'd be pissed if half didn't pay up, but on the other hand I can see how they'd think it was a play-for-fun league.

What should we do?

Thanks guys.

One of my work leagues just ended and the commish sends out an email asking everyone to pay their $50. The problem is half the league says they're not going to pay because they thought it wasn't a paid entry.

Our work league has always been a $50 buy-in going on 7 years now. But what's changed is our normal commish and 2-3 steady teams declined to play this year, no money was collected before the season and the commish used a free NFL fantasy league. Normally we'd always go with a premium service. We couldn't even draft our own players this year with this service. All you could do was rank them.

So anyway, half of the league says they played all year thinking this was a free league.

I can see both sides of the story and I know if I'd won I'd be pissed if half didn't pay up, but on the other hand I can see how they'd think it was a play-for-fun league.

What should we do?

Thanks guys.

If you didn't collect the fees up front there isn't much you can do. You can threaten to throw the guys out of the league for next season, but that's about it. If they don't want to pay no amount of debate is going to change their minds.

Tell everyone NEXT year it's $50 and the guy who won this year gets to play for free next year.

This. I concur completely.

The New Commish needs to pay some cash out of pocket. He is the reason the league is in default.

The New Commish needs to pay some cash out of pocket. He is the reason the league is in default.

Door.....

Knock...

Punch....

Face....

Wife...

Kids....