1.05 S Eric Berry, Tennessee

2.04 RB Dexter McCluster, Mississippi

2.18 CB Javier Arenas, Alabama

3.04 OG Jon Asamoah, Illinois

3.29 TE Tony Moeaki, Iowa

5.05 -

5.11 -

Edited by Mike FF Today

About the only thing I would be dissapointed in tonight is if the Chiefs keep their pick at #5 AND take Bryan Bulaga. I would much prefer a trade down or S Eric Berry.

From a fantasy perspective I'd love the Chiefs to take a tackle because they have a cake schedule and that offense has potential with Charles, Bowe, and Cassel.

WE needed defense in a major way, good pick. I miss those years when we actually had a tough defense, would love to get back there.

eric berry, s, tennessee

the smart selection for the chiefs; berry is among the top4 safest players in this draft and has high% likelihood to be top5 positionally within the next 2-3 seasons; he augments one of the chiefs best players---brandon flowers---and stops the bleeding of giving up so many homeruns last season [ie frax jax, miles austin, v jax]; u just don't pay top5 picks for power-blocking RTs [bulaga].

Why bring in Jones to take another RB in the draft?

RB Dexter McCluster - Really? :overhead:

I was thinking the same thing? I guess they will use him in the slot and on returns. I personally thought it was a stretch.

Listening to Pioli talk tonight, they definitely envision using Dexter more as wideout with the option of being a kick returner as well. Not a bad draft so far but I would still like to see some more help on the O-line.

So, comparing to the 2009 Saints....

Charles would have the Pierre Thomas role

McCluster would have the Reggie Bush role

Thomas Jones would have the Mike Bell role

So, comparing to the 2009 Saints....

Charles would have the Pierre Thomas role

McCluster would have the Reggie Bush role

Thomas Jones would have the Mike Bell role

nice comparison/thought.

i think mccluster just helps cassel a lot like welker did in new england, as welker was able to maintain his 100rec rate with those quick hits and slip screens and such yo get the ball out of cassel's hands quickly and make easy gains. mccluster has acceleration and open field elusiveness, despite the banter on his non-elite 40-yd dash time [4.55]. also flashes some ability like sproles to take over a game in stretches as a hb1.

the beauty of the chiefs main picks are the high floor they all possess: berry is at worst a 7 yr starter at safety, with a ceiling of ed reed 2.0; mccluster is at worst a sproles who adds team speed and 3rd down conversion help, with a ceiling of a dynamic dual threat hb1/2; javier arenas is at minimum an allen rossum, who can be your cb3/4 and returner for several yrs, and also again adds tremendous special teams and coverage unit speed, with a max of maybe becoming your cb2.

i know asamoah was not a sizzle pick, but it also was not a fizzle pick, so fans really cannot be to disappointed.

I'm liking the Chiefs draft for the most part. The first three picks are all top notch athletes. Between McCluster and Arenas, the Chiefs should have solved any return game issues. As far as McCluster goes, it won't be long until we're hearing the Dante Hall comparisons. With the NFL making the passing game as premium as it's ever been, it's clear that teams are adjusting and paying for those extra corners and nickelbacks. Saw it with the Jets this offseason and the Chiefs are copying that taking Arenas so early. Asamoah looks to fill the guard spot opposite Waters where the Chiefs have gotten crushed as of recent. This team still needs a nose tackle and LB but the Chiefs did fill some of their needs on the first couple days. On Saturday, I expect they'll take one of the local WRs in a later round (Briscoe, Meier, Alexander).

So far, looks pretty good.

Congrats Chiefs fans...this is a better draft already than any Carl Peterson draft I can remember. If you give Sheffield a chance, I think you got yourself a pretty decent 3-4 OLB.

We get three picks off Scott Wright's Best Players Remaining list, but in reverse order:

#8 Bailey

#15 Houston

#22 Hudson

Any way you slice it, there is a ton of natural ability. Now we need it to produce. Houston was a guy I coveted in round 2, and Bailey is one of the best natural talents in the draft.

One of the number crunchers at Footballsfuture, Waldo, had this to say about Bailey's group.

This group is assembled without regards to size. Every player in this group passed the speed filter, has a explosive power rating greater than 1.00, and an agility rating greater than 0.50. The only measurables not considered for inclusion in this group are arm length, bench reps, and 40 time (10 time is, 40 is used in lieu of the 10).

This is a group of across the board good athletes for the position. There is a lot of success here. However it is a group that also averages 1.5 prospects per year. These guys are RARE.

He also rated Houston in a low risk OLB group, which is not surprising for a 1st round talent.

This quite a change from last year. These guys are both bigger and more athletic than average for their position. Character and leadership, not so much.

J