Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Howdy, howdy, howdy

Hi and welcome back. Glad to wake you out of your slumber. My fantasy baseball teams just took a big hit this week as my attention turns to football. So, was it...

:thumbsdown: or :wave:

last year?

What are your fantasy league plans for this year? I'm thinking about one or two moderate stake leagues this year. Likely online though, no plans to fly to Vegas or anything like that.

Call this the Compiler customer thread to talk about whatever you want.

Hi Mike! Last year, lost in the championship by less than 2 points :banana: I was up going into the MNF Bears/Vikings game. My opponent had Greg Olsen left to play and wouldn't you know it, after he scored the TD right before halftime, he didn't sniff another catch the rest of the game :pointstosky:

Anyway, this year leaving the long time local league to go into a moderate stakes league. Thinking of the WCFF Satellite or the Footballguys Players Championship, both cost $350, I believe.

I am leaning towards the WCFF because I like the league structure better. Yes, you can win more money in the FBG league but the WCFF Satellite has 12 leagues of 12 teams (144 teams max), division winners and 4 wildcards advance to the playoffs, tournament style 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15... so it is a head to head league and not the overall points, which I know some people like.

I also won some coin and a few points in the Rapidraft game last year so I'll probaby grab a team there as well.

Hey FlaHawker. Ah, that sucks last year with Olsen. Such a frustrating player. You'd almost prefer the guy have one of his complete nothing games then to give you 90% of what you need.

I didn't think about that difference between the WCFF and FBG competitions. I might lean to the total points thing myself, rather than luck of the draw who you face through those crucial playoff weeks.

I won my RapidDraft league last year, but I think I forgot to claim my t-shirt properly. It never arrived anyway. I must have a few credits in my account to play again.

Hey FlaHawker. Ah, that sucks last year with Olsen. Such a frustrating player. You'd almost prefer the guy have one of his complete nothing games then to give you 90% of what you need.

I didn't think about that difference between the WCFF and FBG competitions. I might lean to the total points thing myself, rather than luck of the draw who you face through those crucial playoff weeks.

I won my RapidDraft league last year, but I think I forgot to claim my t-shirt properly. It never arrived anyway. I must have a few credits in my account to play again.

Do you think it would be, I hate to say easier, but do you think the total points option would be better than head to head? Yeah I think I got like three shirts, won $60 for division champ and accumulated a bunch of points that I think I can turn into teams for this year.

I just think total points reduces the luck factor in the long-run. Of course sometimes a person has the luck, and sometimes they don't. HTH could get you some great matchups all the way through to the final. Some clown might have Jerome Freakin' Harrison and kill in a total points league over a 3 week period. It could go either way and can't be predicted.

Hey Mike,

I did not make it as far as I wanted to last year; hell I didn’t even make the playoffs!

My theme this year is patience I gave up on a couple of player’s way to soon only to watch them blow up in the following weeks. The other thing I want to work on is adjusting my draft strategy, I watched QB’S leaving the draft in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds and did not adjust I wound up having Campbell and Orton as my QB’S. Then traded for Cutler. (OOPS) When I see a run (QB’S Def), I think I need to adjust.

Here is to living and learning.

Joe

Hey Joe. Welcome back. Sorry to hear things didn't go as well as planned last year, but I like your attitude to learn from it and do better this year.

Runs on positions can catch us off guard. Was that your first time in that league? Owners tendencies do stay fairly similar from year to year, so you might be able to better project if/when that QB (or other) run is going to happen this year. Also mock drafting helps in that respect, but what we should really focus on with you is utilizing the tiers on the cheatsheets. Do you have a good understanding how those work and how to make them work for you?

Mike,

I play in the same league every year this will be our 6th year. I am so focused on my draft that I really didn’t pay attention to what other owners have done in the past. I went back and I can see where a few owners always do the RB, RB, WR, and WR no matter where they pick in the draft. (Including me) Other owners seem to mix it up year to year. I will research this more; I guess what your saying is if you know what other owners are going to do it will let me know how I should adjust my draft.

As far as tiers go I have read your article, I have the basic concept on how it works; I guess I never thought about how to make it work for me. I will go back and read it again and see how I can apply it to my draft. I see in the compiler that this is already done for you if you choose that option. Now I just need to learn how to use it to my advantage.

I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me and give me some things to think about.

Joe

No problem at all Joe. Happy to help - and just chat!

My point on the tiers is that they should help you keep things in check so you don't get caught with your pants down on a position run. It isn't a guarantee of course, because sometimes other owners do strange things in a draft (and things they do can impact others), but if you see a tier of QB/RB/WR are getting thin and you still need to cover that position, you'll put more emphasis on "yep, QB here and I can wait on the other position I was leaning towards." In essence, it will help you maximize the value of your draft picks.