Sign in to follow this  
ICEMAN

ICEMAN's Insights

I don't think that I have ever given my analysis of all the teams that were drafted in this June Mock, but here it goes. BTW, how many years have we been doing this Mock? I somehow feel that I was actually a young man when this all started.

Dan

1.01- RB Adrian Peterson, Min.

2.12- WR Sidney Rice, Min.

3.01- WR Greg Jennings, GB

4.12- WR Hines Ward, Pit.

5.01- TE Brent Celek, Phi.

6.12- RB Carnell Williams, TB

7.01- RB Michael Bush, Oak.

8.12- WR Steve Breaston, Ari.

9.01- QB Carson Palmer, Cin.

10.12- QB Matt Leinart, Ari.

11.01- QB Chad Henne, Mia.

12.12- K Nate Kaeding, SD

13.01- RB Leon Washington, Sea.

14.12- D/ST, Baltimore Ravens

15.01- WR Chaz Schilens, Oak.

It's hard not to like any team that has AP on it. He can help cover-up a lot of other shortcomings on a team. The question is going to be whether, or not, waiting until the 6th round to select RB2 was a wise decision. Cadillac Williams and Michael Bush as my #2 & #3 RB's would give me the heebie-jeebies. I don't have a lot of confidence that either of these guys will be able to provide either consistant production, or flashes of greatness. I think that the better bet may be on Leon Washington producing some nice numbers every 2-3 weeks with some very low output in between.

I LOVE the WR's on this team. That'll happen when you select a WR in each of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds. I am a huge fan of Simeon Rice, which is saying something for me. I usually like to see a few seasons of decent results before I fall in love with a player enough to select them in the 2nd round. I just love his combination of physical gifts/talent/opportunity/desire. He seems to have it all to me.

Unlike Fumble, I am not a huge fan of the 3-headed QB attack that this team is going to employ. I am starting to think that Carson Palmer's initial success was the abberation and last year was more of the norm for this guy. I hate Leinart. I don't even know if he wins the starting job, never mind produces. Henne's a work in progress and The Big Tuna can love him all he wants, but I see this guy's upside as 18 TD's, even with Brandon Marshall.

I think that the success of this team is going to hinge on Carson Palmer and whether, or not, he can still throw 28-30 TD's. If he can't, this team is going to have some serious problems. I see the upside for this teams a 3rd-5th place with the downside being a middle of the road team. Some nice talent, but waiting on the QB that long might come back to bite you, Dan.

Vikings4Ever

1.02- RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jax.

2.11- RB Jamaal Charles, KC

3.02- WR Marques Colston, NO

4.11- TE Antonio Gates, SD

5.02- WR Dwayne Bowe, KC

6.11- RB Justin Forsett, Sea.

7.02- QB Brett Favre, Min.

8.11- QB Donovan McNabb, Was.

9.02- WR Jeremy Maclin, Phi.

10.11- RB Darren Sproles, SD

11.02- TE Chris Cooley, Was.

12.11- WR Austin Collie, Ind.

13.02- WR Demaryius Thomas, Den.

14.11- D/ST, San Francisco 49ers

15.02- K Robbie Gould, Chi.

Here is how I feel about this team. QB's = B+, RB's = B (and that's considering that I have MJB III as an A+!) TE's = B+ (Just due to Gates's foot injury. I don't like foot injuries on guys that are paid to run routes. Call me crazy.) WR's = C. The reason that I give the WR's a "C" is due to the following.

Colston - Too many weapons on that Saints offense for my taste, but you can't argue with his production. He's good for 1,100 and 8-9 TD's as long as he stays healthy.

Bowe - McDaniels scares the hell out of me. This kid could get 1K yards and 7 TD's; he might get 600 yards and 2 TD's. That's not really the kind of production that I am looking for from my #2 WR. My feeling is that he is going to be much closer to the latter.

Maclin - I like Maclin this saeason. I can see 800 yards and 5-6 TD's.

Collie - Gonzo should cut significantly into his production (assuming that he doesn't have a piano fall on him, or something like that). I can see 500 yards and 4 TD's as a realistic expectation from this guy this upcoming season.

Thomas - He's a rookie. he'd be lucky to get 300-400 yards and 2 TD's.

This team strikes me a middle of the road team that requires too many positive things to happen in order to win the NHL this season.

Remote Controller

1.03- RB Ray Rice, Bal.

2.10- RB Ryan Mathews, SD

3.03- WR DeSean Jackson, Phi.

4.10- WR Chad Ochocinco, Cin.

5.03- TE Jermichael Finley, GB

6.10- QB Kevin Kolb, Phi.

7.03- QB Jay Cutler, Chi.

8.10- WR Malcom Floyd, SD

9.03- RB Reggie Bush, NO

10.10- WR Kevin Walter, Hou.

11.03- RB Willis McGahee, Bal.

12.10- TE Tony Scheffler, Det.

13.03- K Garrett Hartley, NO

14.10- WR Jabar Gaffney, Den.

15.03- D/ST, Pittsburgh Steelers

I like the RB's and the WR's on this squad. It has a nice mix for both groups. I just don't think that the QB's and TE's are going to be in the top half of the league and that could kill this team. I like Kolb, but Cutler doesn't do anything for me (even with Mike "The Genius" Martz on staff now). Even though Finley is the "Flavor of the Day" and being lauded by every publication under the sun as "The next great Tight End," I'm not buying it. This kid is kind of a head case, from what I hear. We'll see, but for now, I'm staying away until he has more of a track record of acheivement.

As long as Kolb can be a top 5-8 QB, this team could contend. If that were to happen, it would just need either Kevin Walter, or Jabar Gaffney to have a 900-1,100 yard, 7 TD season in order to contend.

White Wonder

1.04- RB Chris Johnson, Ten.

2.09- WR Roddy White, Atl.

3.04- RB Ryan Grant, GB

4.09- QB Philip Rivers, SD

5.04- TE Vernon Davis, SF

6.09- WR Santana Moss, Was.

7.04- RB Marion Barber, Dal.

8.09- QB Eli Manning, NYG

9.04- WR Dez Bryant, Dal.

10.09- WR Donnie Avery, Stl.

11.04- TE Heath Miller, Pit.

12.09- RB LaDainian Tomlinson, NYJ

13.04- WR Anthony Gonzalez, Ind.

14.09- K David Buehler, Dal.

15.04- D/ST, Chicago Bears

This team I really like a lot. There is no glaring weakness and barring injury should be in it from the get-go. It has solid QB's, top-notch RB's (with a good mix of proven reliability and youth), decent Wr's (I'm not a fan of Moss, but I like the upside of Bryant/Gonzo/ Avery) and Davis could be the highest scoring TE this year. As long as Chris johnson doesn't hold out, this team looks great.

KSB2424

1.05- WR Andre Johnson, Hou.

2.08- WR Miles Austin, Dal.

3.05- RB Cedric Benson, Cin.

4.08- QB Matt Schaub, Hou.

5.05- RB Jahvid Best, Det.

6.08- RB Brandon Jacobs, NYG

7.05- WR Mike Wallace, Pit.

8.08- RB Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG

9.05- WR Antonio Bryant, Cin.

10.08- TE Zach Miller, Oak.

11.05- QB Mark Sanchez, NYJ

12.08- D/ST, Minnesota Vikings

13.05- TE Todd Heap, Bal.

14.08- WR Nate Burleson, Det.

15.05- K Neil Rackers, Hou.

This is another team with great balance and strength. I love the RB's and WR's. The success of this team is all going to revolve around 3 things.

#1 - Can Matt Shaub stay healthy?

#2 - Will Mike Wallace step-up and be a 1K yard and 10 TD player?

If both of those things happen, look out! This team is going to be pretty damn good and finish in the top 3, if not win the whole thing outright.

Clash of the Titans

1.06- RB Frank Gore, SF

2.07- WR Brandon Marshall, Mia.

3.06- QB Tony Romo, Dal.

4.07- RB Joseph Addai, Ind.

5.06- WR Hakeem Nicks, NYG

6.07- RB Ricky Williams, Mia.

7.06- WR Braylon Edwards, NYJ

8.07- RB Donald Brown, Ind.

9.06- WR Kenny Britt, Ten.

10.07- QB Vince Young, Ten.

11.06- TE Jeremy Shockey, NO

12.07- RB Arian Foster, Hou.

13.06- QB Matt Hasselbeck, Sea.

14.07- K Rob Bironas, Ten.

15.06- D/ST, Dallas Cowboys

Sorry, Clash, but I'm really not feeling this team at all. There's a whole lot of mediocrity going on here.

The QB's are pretty solid, but the only other player that really looks to be elite is Gore. The rest of the RB's are just beige. You're essentially hoping for either Brown, or Addai to get hurt, so that one of them can produce decent numbers each week. I really do see that tandem becoming a 50/50 split this year, which will kill both of them.

The WR's don't excite me either. Marshall is a nut-job that has switched teams and is recovering from a 2nd hip operation in as many years. Sorry, I realize that this kid has big-time talent, but that's too many strikes for my liking to invest a 2nd round pick on him. The rest of the WR's are unexciting, at best. Nicks is a nice little complimentary WR, but I've got better hands than Braylon Edwards and Britt will be lucky to have 500 yards and 3-4 TD's this season.

I also think that you will be playing without a TE for a period of time this season, since you decided to take Jeremy Shockey and not draft a backup for him. He's usually good to miss 2-3 games a season and then is playing injured in an additional 2-3, which affects his production in those games.

I really think that this team could struggle. If Ricky Williams can recreate last season's stat line and one of the WR's that I mentioned as unexiting steps-up and gives you 1K yards and 8 TD's, then you've got a shot at being in the top 5, but absent of that, I think you could be in for a long season.

JScott

1.07- RB Michael Turner, Atl.

2.06- QB Aaron Rodgers, GB

3.07- WR Vincent Jackson, SD

4.06- TE Dallas Clark, Ind.

5.07- WR Steve Smith, NYG

6.06- RB Ben Tate, Hou.

7.07- RB Fred Jackson, Buf.

8.06- RB Montario Hardesty, Cle.

9.07- WR Lee Evans, Buf.

10.06- WR Devin Aromashadu, Chi.

11.07- TE Dustin Keller, NYJ

12.06- QB Matt Cassel, KC

13.07- K Stephen Gostkowski, NEP

14.06- D/ST, Philadelphia Eagles

15.07- WR Muhamed Massaquoi, Cle.

I like was JScott has done with the assembly of this team. It has great balance (which will happen when you select 4 different positions with your first 4 picks) and strength throughout each group.

Rogers may be the top scoring QB again this season and Cassel is a capable, if boring, backup.

I love Michael Turner as an RB1. I think that he could bounce back in a big way this season and produce 1,300-1,400 yards and 14-15 TD's. Of the other RB's, I think that Jackson will be the consistant performer with Hardesty and Tate being the big upside guys.

The WR and TE groups should be in the top 3 as far as points go for NHL teams at the completion of the season. You've just got to hope like hell that VJax doesn't decide to holdout until week 10. My guess is that he won't. It all about the Benjamins and he doesn't strike me as a guy that has a Rainy Day Fund set aside in case of emergencies. He'll be there when the games start to get played and produce well.

This team should be in-the-mix for the NHL Championship.

ICEMAN

1.08- RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pit.

2.05- QB Peyton Manning, Ind.

3.08- RB Knowshon Moreno, Den.

4.05- WR Steve Smith, Car.

5.08- TE Jason Witten, Dal.

6.05- WR Donald Driver, GB

7.08- RB Clinton Portis, Was.

8.05- WR Derrick Mason, Bal.

9.08- WR Eddie Royal, Den.

10.05- TE John Carlson, Sea.

11.08- RB Thomas Jones, KC

12.05- D/ST, New Orleans Saints

13.08- K Mason Crosby, GB

14.05- QB Kyle Orton, Den.

15.08- WR Golden Tate, Sea.

I really like my chances with this team (SHOCKING!!!). I think that my teams should be in the top 3 for both QB's and TE's at the end of the season and I think that I have a really deep and dependable group of RB's that should score high points consistantly week-in and week-out. As long as Moreno can keep Buckhalter at bay, he should be good for 1,500 yards combined and 10-12 TD's. My guess is that Denver didn't draft him as high as they did to watch some over-the-hill free agent signee take 35%-40% of the snaps. I think that Moreno will get at least 70%-75% of Denver's carries this season and also grab about 40 balls as well.

Now I'll grant you, I've got Geezerpalooza going on at WR, but all of Smith/Driver/Mason should each be good for 1K yards and 7-8 TD's. That's nothing spectacular, but I think that my WR core just needs to be slightly above average for my team to succeed and contend for the NHL title. In retrospect, I wish that I had grabbed another younger WR with big upside, but it didn't even occur to me that the average age of my WR's was about 65 until after the draft. I do think that Golde Tate was a steal and could be good for 55-65 catches for 700 yards and 5-6 TD's. We'll see.

As long as injury doesn't play a major factor and no more than one of my Over the Hill Gang of Wide Receivers get old overnight and dips to 400 yards and 3 TD's, I think that I have a really good shot at contending.

Ray Lewis' Limo Driver

1.09- RB Steven Jackson, Stl.

2.04- WR Reggie Wayne, Ind.

3.09- RB LeSean McCoy, Phi.

4.04- WR Anquan Boldin, Bal.

5.09- RB Ronnie Brown, Mia.

6.04- WR Pierre Garcon, Ind.

7.09- QB Matt Ryan, Atl.

8.04- TE Owen Daniels, Hou.

9.09- WR Julian Edelman, NE

10.04- QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pit.

11.09- RB Chester Taylor, Chi.

12.04- D/ST, New York Jets

13.09- WR Bernard Berrian, Min.

14.04- WR Devin Thomas, Was.

15.09- K Lawrence Tynes, NYG

I'm sorry. I just can't see drafting Steven Jackson in the first round. I love the guy. He's a warrior, but he plays for an incredibly awful football team, he just had back surgery, he scored a TD in only 4 games last year and he hasn't played a full season since 2006! I love the Ronnie Brown pick and hopefully he can come back and add some big points weeks for you, but he's coming off surgery as well. Throw in Owen Daniles (the only TE that you drafted) and it's a virtual MASH Unit.

This team's strength is going to be it's WR corp., which should be one of the better groups in the NHL, when everything is said and done. I just don't think that the strength of this group is going to be able to overcome some of this teams shortcomings, though.

QB is another position of concern. Matt Ryan is a nice QB and all, but I think you would agree that more than half of the league will be starting QB's that will be scoring more points than Mr. Ryan on a weekly basis. He'll most likely be in the bottom third of the league for QB scoring at the end of the season and that could be a death blow to this team if the previous health problems at the RB position persist.

If everyone stays healthy, I could see this team finishing in the top half of the league, but I can't see much more than that, unless Matt Ryan has a real breakout year and throws 30-32 TD's.

Robb

1.10- WR Larry Fitzgerald, Ari.

2.03- WR Calvin Johnson, Det.

3.10- RB Chris Wells, Ari.

4.03- RB Jonathan Stewart, Car.

5.10- WR Wes Welker, NE

6.03- RB C.J. Spiller, Buf.

7.10- WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Sea.

8.03- QB Joe Flacco, Bal.

9.10- RB Darren McFadden, Oak.

10.03- QB Matthew Stafford, Det.

11.10- TE Greg Olsen, Chi.

12.03- QB Alex Smith, SF

13.10- TE Kevin Boss, NYG

14.03- D/ST, Green Bay Packers

15.10- K Matt Prater, Den.

The top-end talent at RB and WR is really good on this squad. It's the depth that concerns me.

Fitzgerald and Megatron are obviously stellar players, but Welker and Housyourmomma could be trouble. The word on the street here in Beantown is that Welker will probably start the year on the PUP list, regardless of what you may have seen, or heard. That only leaves Housh as your 3rd WR and he only scored 3 TD's last season. He should do better this year, but how much better? 4 TD's? 5?

I like Beanie Wells and Jonathan Stewart. Even though neither of them are elite fantasy players, they're both solid. Stewart could be elite. He just needs DeAngelo Williams to go down and he's a top 5 RB. The problem (in my estimation) is Spiller and McFadden. With Jackson and Lynch in Buffalo (for now, at least), Spiller will be in a heavy rotation and may only see 10-15 total touches a game. That's not a good thing considering how terrible Buffalo is offensively. McFadden is a guy I just don't think will ever turn into anything. Maybe it's me. I just see him as the running back version of JaMarcus Russel. It might just be the context, but I don't see this guy ever doing much at all.

The Flacco/Stafford/Smith three headed QB moster should put up some nice numbers on a consistant basis.

The TE's might be the worst in our league. I wouldn't really expect anything great from Olson and Boss. Maybe you'll get something every 3 weeks, or so. Beyond that, don't expect to get drunk playing any drinking games based on your TE's scoring touchdowns.

Even with the lack of talent at TE, as long as the starters for this team stay healthy, I could see this team making a run. You've gotta hope that Welker comes back strong. If he does, you could have me a TE and win this thing.

Fumbleweed

1.11- QB Drew Brees, NO

2.02- RB DeAngelo Williams, Car.

3.11- RB Pierre Thomas, NO

4.02- WR Michael Crabtree, SF

5.11- RB Felix Jones, Dal.

6.02- WR Percy Harvin, Min.

7.11- TE Tony Gonzalez, Atl.

8.02- WR Devin Hester, Chi.

9.11- TE Kellen Winslow, Jr., TB

10.02- WR Jerricho Cotchery, NYJ

11.11- RB Tim Hightower, Ari.

12.02- WR Terrell Owens, FA

13.11- K Ryan Longwell, Min.

14.02- QB Josh Freeman, TB

15.11- D/ST, New England Patriots

Fumble took a similar approach to me, grabbing a top-flight QB and two solid RB's like I did in the first three rounds.

DeAngelo Williams is a steady, high quality player and I really think that Pierre Thomas is going to explode this year, now that he doesn't have to share time with Mike Bell anymore. The depth at RB on this team is in good hands with Felix Jones and Tim Hightower will chip-in every 3 weeks, or so with a 15 point week.

The WR's on this team is where Fumble loses me a little and I think that it is just a preference thing. I think that Crabtree/Harvin/Hester all have really great upside, but they also have tremendous downside as well. I think that Crabtree and Harvin can get you 900-1K yards and 5-7 TD's, but that's about it. I really don't see much more than that. Hester is just a guy playing out of position. Mike Martz and everyone else can tell me that he is the 2nd coming of Steve Smith, but I really don't see that ever materializing. I see maybe 600-700 yards and 4 TD's for this guy. That's about it. I really liked the Owens pick where it happened. I was just about set to pull the trigger on him at that point as well.

The TE's are solid. It's hard to argue with the selection of the greatest TE of all time, who is defying all laws of physics by producing at the level that he still does at his age.

I really like Fumble's chances as long as Brees stays healthy and Crabtree & Harvin play better than I expect. Those two would both need to be in the 1K-1,100 yard/8-9 TD range for Fumble to really contend. Even if they don't and perform to the level that I expect, this team should do well and finish in the top 4-5 teams. Nice work.

NAn

1.12- RB Shonn Greene, NYJ

2.01- WR Randy Moss, NE

3.12- QB Tom Brady, NE

4.01- RB Matt Forte, Chi.

5.12- WR Mike Sims-Walker, Jax.

6.01- RB Jerome Harrison, Cle.

7.12- WR Robert Meachem, NO

8.01- WR Santonio Holmes, NYJ

9.12- TE Visanthe Shiancoe, Min.

10.01- RB Laurence Maroney, NE

11.12- QB David Garrard, Jax.

12.01- WR Johnny Knox, Chi.

13.12- TE Bo Scaife, Ten.

14.01- K David Akers, Phi.

15.12- D/ST, Indianapolis Colts

This is another team that is going to be carried by it's WR corp. I expect huge things from Randy Moss this season. He's in a contract season and he means business. He even fired his long time Agent in order to get someone that could help him get that last BIG contract. The man has the talent, but will he limit the amount plays that he "takes off" this season in order to get the big bucks that he wants? I believe that he will. Sims-Walker/Meachem/Holmes fill out the group nicely. This should be one of the more solid WR groups in the NHL.

The RB's are a different story. I just don't think that Shonn Green's production is going to warrant him being selected in the first round. I really only see 1K yards and 8-10 TD's from him. I realize that Thomas Jones is gone and that Jones thrived in this offense, but I think that the Jets line is really going to miss Alan Faneca. He's not going to be a bust, but I just don't see elite production out of him. We'll see if I'm wrong. the rest of the RB's on this team really don't do anything for me at all. Forte is going to be splitting time with a highly paid free agent (Chester Taylor), Harrison plays for a God awful team and might be overtaken by a highly drafted rookie (Hardesty) and Maroney has never been able to get anything done in New England.

Grabbing Brady in the 3rd round was a steal and should help keep you in the upper echelon of QB scoring for the league, but those TE's are an abomination. You and Robb will most likely be battling it out to see who has the worst TE's in the league.

All that being said, this team should be OK due to the stregth of it's WR's and QB's. I just don't see it being enough, though, to challenge for the NHL Championship.

pshh everyone gets a friggin novel and i get 2 sentences.

wtf bro-namath?

:P

nice work :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, but I feel you are a year or so behind on Finley. He was even invited to Fitz's elite receiver camp this year and the kid has been serious since last years preseason. I agree Cutler comes with a bit more risk than Kolb, but I am high on both, and will live with the decision to take them back to back. The plan was Kolb/Favre, and V4E got in the way. I loved my postion at that point in the draft (6.10) with Rice, Mathews, DeSean, Ocho, and Finley already on board. I only saw 1 Wr and 1 RB that I was interested in, and they were both nice, (Forsett and TJ Housh) but figured now was the time to solidify my Qb position, and get it over with. I am glad i did for there were quite a few Qb's taken in this thing, meaning a few teams had questions about the position. Picks 8 and 9 were huge for me. I feel the addition of Floyd with the the VJax situation, and landing a 3# RB with 750 yards and 8 td's last year (R. Bush) were key acquisitions. I decided right then to wait as long as possible for McGahee for both real fantasy reasons and NHL reasons, and my RB work was done.

I really like this years draft possibilities from the 3,4,5 and 6 holes.