Sign in to follow this  
do rag

how valuable is TE

in a 12 team, TE mandatory league, which would be the better first 4 rounds:

#3 RB- #6 WR- #1 TE- #16 WR

or

#3 RB- #6 WR- #9 WR- #16 WR

the names might vary a little, but the strategy is the same

should I grab TE in the 3rd and wait for WR later? The spread between #1 TE and 6th or 7th TE is about 50 pts from last year. Seems like after the top tier of about 10-12 WRs, it gets pretty bunched up. I don't think any of the top 4 TEs will last until the 4th rd.

I have never drafted a TE before probably the 9th round. But this year in one draft i took Finley in the 6th :unsure:

Id say it all depends who is available when you pick. But i couldnt bring my self to pick a TE in the 4th. That is still way too early for me. There usually is very good value late in drafts. In the draft i took Finley in 6th last week i still took Olsen in the 13th. :thumbsup:

I have never drafted a TE before probably the 9th round. But this year in one draft i took Finley in the 6th :unsure:

Id say it all depends who is available when you pick. But i couldnt bring my self to pick a TE in the 4th. That is still way too early for me. There usually is very good value late in drafts. In the draft i took Finley in 6th last week i still took Olsen in the 13th. :thumbsup:

I usually don't either, but I can't see Finley lasting til the 6th in my draft. The spread between the #1 TE and the #8 TE in my league last year was about 80 pts. I can see waiting if you let the first 3-4 TEs slide by, then it doesn't really matter. Really, there isn't good value at TE late in drafts, just a bunch of guys who produce at around the same level. I'm thinking getting one of the top 4 TEs will give you a huge advantage. The top 2 teams in points last year in my league had the #1 and #2 TEs respectively. There's something to be said for that, I think.

It depends...ppr league? If it is then the top TE's are possibly worth more than most WRs are. Plus like you said, the difference between a top TE and a non-top TE is huge.

Look at Dallas Clark last year...in a ppr league he was the #1 tight end, with 267 points. Last year, the 8th best WR fantasy point wise, was Roddy White with 267 points.

So that's like your TE getting you the points of a top ten WR. Not bad for a 4th round pick huh? Every receiver higher is projected to go in the first two.

It depends...ppr league? If it is then the top TE's are possibly worth more than most WRs are. Plus like you said, the difference between a top TE and a non-top TE is huge.

Look at Dallas Clark last year...in a ppr league he was the #1 tight end, with 267 points. Last year, the 8th best WR fantasy point wise, was Roddy White with 267 points.

So that's like your TE getting you the points of a top ten WR. Not bad for a 4th round pick huh? Every receiver higher is projected to go in the first two.

agree, who would you put on that top tier? I have Clark, Gates, Finley, maybe Witten. I don't know if I can afford to wait til the 4th round if I really want one of these guys, may have to pick in the 3rd. Sounds crazy, but the numbers back it up.

Took finley in the 4th last night, considering him the best available WR on the board. This actually sparked a little TE run, the guy following me went with Clark and before you know it the top 6 were gone over the next 1 and half rounds. This then left me some great WR talent on the board and was able to get Hakeem Nicks and D. Bowe at the 5-6 turn.

Took finley in the 4th last night, considering him the best available WR on the board. This actually sparked a little TE run, the guy following me went with Clark and before you know it the top 6 were gone over the next 1 and half rounds. This then left me some great WR talent on the board and was able to get Hakeem Nicks and D. Bowe at the 5-6 turn.

Exactly what I'm talking about...

I was able to get Finley at the 8th pick in the fifth round. Of course this was only after the first preseason game. Finley was the last of the elite TE's taken in my draft. Why everyone passed him up is beyond me, but in a PPR league where I'm already down Sidney Rice, I'll take any and all advantages I can.

Not sure about in PPR, but I just did my non-PPR draft and if you don't get one of the top 5 (Gates/Davis/Clark/Finley/Celek in whatever order), you can probably just wait until almost the very end because IMO the rest of the TE's are both pretty similar and there's a pretty deep group of them.

I took Davis in the 5th, and then ended up taking Zach Miller in the 11th as well, probably one of the first times I've ever drafted 2 TE's, both because I like Miller, and because there were 2 owners who refused to take a TE, so I was trying to give them a little incentive. But with a lot of value still left, they didn't really take the bait (oh well I like having Miller as Davis insurance).

I've always done well with drafting a TE early. I took Dallas Clark as the first one off the board. At that point most of the better RB's were off the board and the top recievers. If you don't get one of the top five TE's then you might as well wait. Most of the rest will give you similar numbers.

You took Finley with Clark still on the board? I would have taken Clark first.

That being said, Clark was taken in round 4 in my league and I took Finley near the start of the 5th round and it set off a run on TEs. I got a couple wry looks taking him instead of Gates, Davis, Gonzales, etc...