Sign in to follow this  
Jeepz

Do you take handcuffs?

I thought we had a thread on this, but I can't find it. Anyway, I see a lot of talk about handcuffs, and "go get this guy" and "make sure you have that guy". So I'm looking at some potential handcuffs, some were drafted, some are on the waiver wire. I'd like to discuss how they rank, but even more than that, are handcuffs even worth it if you have solid RB depth? Other than filling a bench spot, which we all need to do and any player could be as good as the next when we're talking WR5 and RB5, why is a certain handcuff a Must Have?

Top handcuffs I see out there that are getting talked about:

McGahee (for Rice)

Snelling (for Turner)

Rashad Jennings (for MJD)

Buckhalter (for Moreno)

LJ (for Portis, as laughable as that sounds)

Redman (for Mendy)

Taylor (for Forte)

Bernard Scott (for CedBen)

Huggins (for Caddy)

Obviously there are a bunch of viable timeshares (in Dallas, NYG, Miami, NYJ), I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about true handcuffs. Yeah, guys like Taylor and McGahee might get theirs a bit, but I don't view them as true timeshares.

So for example, if you have MJD and Caddy, are you carrying Jennings and Huggins? If you're only carrying one, which one do you keep? Both play for mediocre offenses, so how much can you really expect out of them? And would you really play them over PT or Foster or whoever your RB3 currently is?

As I see it, someone like Bernard Scott has value outside of CedBen's backup. Same with Chester Taylor, and Buckhalter. But when I read things here like "Ward got cut, go get Huggins" or "MJD could be hurt, make sure you have Jennings", I really wonder if they're worth it.

Thoughts?

I thought we had a thread on this, but I can't find it. Anyway, I see a lot of talk about handcuffs, and "go get this guy" and "make sure you have that guy". So I'm looking at some potential handcuffs, some were drafted, some are on the waiver wire. I'd like to discuss how they rank, but even more than that, are handcuffs even worth it if you have solid RB depth? Other than filling a bench spot, which we all need to do and any player could be as good as the next when we're talking WR5 and RB5, why is a certain handcuff a Must Have?

Top handcuffs I see out there that are getting talked about:

McGahee (for Rice)

Snelling (for Turner)

Rashad Jennings (for MJD)

Buckhalter (for Moreno)

LJ (for Portis, as laughable as that sounds)

Redman (for Mendy)

Taylor (for Forte)

Bernard Scott (for CedBen)

Huggins (for Caddy)

Obviously there are a bunch of viable timeshares (in Dallas, NYG, Miami, NYJ), I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about true handcuffs. Yeah, guys like Taylor and McGahee might get theirs a bit, but I don't view them as true timeshares.

So for example, if you have MJD and Caddy, are you carrying Jennings and Huggins? If you're only carrying one, which one do you keep? Both play for mediocre offenses, so how much can you really expect out of them? And would you really play them over PT or Foster or whoever your RB3 currently is?

As I see it, someone like Bernard Scott has value outside of CedBen's backup. Same with Chester Taylor, and Buckhalter. But when I read things here like "Ward got cut, go get Huggins" or "MJD could be hurt, make sure you have Jennings", I really wonder if they're worth it.

Thoughts?

Personally I would want LT, Thomas Jones, Snelling (only because he performed alright when Turner was down. Others dont do much for me.

i kept jennings on the bench last year when i had mjd and it was just a waste of a bench spot.

i've decided to forget about handcuffs for the most part. it has to be a situation where i feel the chance of the starting rb is somewhat significant and if the starter were to go down, the handcuff is talented enough or in a situation where they can produce good numbers.

this year, i'd look at huggins, bernard scott, snelling and maybe toby gerhart if he wins the backup job.

Only on a team that has a beast of an o-line and the drop off from #1RB to #2RB isnt that great.

It also depends on the price you have to pay and the propensity for the #1 guy to get hurt.

Brown/Williams - MIA

Williams/Stewart - CAR

Rice/McGahee - BAL

Those 3 would all be #1 RB's if one of the others got hurt.

I just think it's funny to see Caddy on my bench as my RB4 with Huggins on my bench as RB5 (behind MJD, Grant, Foster). Still, I guess the potential/opportunity is there, so it's viable depth.

Tashard choice is an inexpensive (even waiver wire, in some instances) pick up. You know Felix or MBIII are gonna get hurt this year.

For WRs I would grab Edelman just in case Welker cant make it. Young Julian has looked good this preseason.

Tashard choice is an inexpensive (even waiver wire, in some instances) pick up. You know Felix or MBIII are gonna get hurt this year.

For WRs I would grab Edelman just in case Welker cant make it. Young Julian has looked good this preseason.

Any word on what might be ailing him? He seems MIA at the moment.

How can you not include Ringer as CJ's handcuff is beyond me

Ditto!

I wouldn't be celebrating your stupidity!

do u really think westbrook will be 3rd? c'mon now. in the future dixon may do something, but this won't be his year

Do I take handcuffs?

I don't know, that seems kinda personal doesn't it?

Only take the handcuff if that RB would put up good numbers if he became the team's top back. If the backup sucks, then it won't really matter whether you have him on your roster or not. You should instead use that roster spot for someone else who might step up if they are given the chance.

do u really think westbrook will be 3rd? c'mon now. in the future dixon may do something, but this won't be his year

A guy with concussions doesn't lead the charge for a running team that wants to play smash mouth.

Also, there is a reason he didn't sign with a team until August. He's a liability, not an asset.

Taking handcuffs is ultimately determined based on your league rules and the availability of talent on the waiver wire.

For example: 14 or 16 team leagues with deep benches - you MUST have your handcuffs for your key picks.

Maybe not: in 10 or 12 team leagues where the handcuff will be out on the wire (or an alternative player that is a decent start in a pinch) then you don't need to handcuff and should draft the best available player.

Some advice: make sure you watch the teams play and don't just look at the depth chart. You'll end up picking up the wrong handcuff not understanding the situation. Real examples this year: Jeremiah Johnson is Arian Foster's handcuff and not Steve Slaton. Toby Gerhart has looked awful and is probably not AD's handcuff. Again, watch the games. This is one of the primary reasons I watch pre-season games. I want to "see" the players run, cut and how they read blocks. As guys hit the wire through the season these advice sites are all a bunch of lemmings. You can save yourself a bad waiver wire add if you know the player in question doesn't have the skills.

And last: Darren McFadden sucks. He can barely stand up straight without falling. If you're making moves for him you haven't really watched him play on 1st and 2nd down.

10 team league: I took Ray Rice 4th overall, then I drafted McGahee in the 12th. I feel that McGahee has dual-purpose; one, as a handcuff, and two, if they decide to trade him at some point (there have been rumors of it- may or may not happen), then it's a possibility he may land into a situation where he can be used as the first string running back for that team.