Sign in to follow this  
85thatsright10

Just announced Vick to start week #3

in all fairness Vick played great ball against the Lions. I can bench Vick when he is playing this well because Kolb got relatively no chance to do anything and again, Vick played the Lions. Im not saying Vick isn't good, I just dont get the line of thinking.

you trade away the face of your franchise in order to hand the reigns over to Kevin Kolb. And his tenure as starter lasts 10 pass attempts? :thumbsdown:

Age has nothing to do with it. I don't disagree with everything you've said here but there are a few points I simply don't get.

I guess i dont understand what he is doing short of playing well against the Lions defense. Yes, he has looked good but it was 1.5 games. This is magically enough for you to abandon the plan you seemingly had in place for your franchise?

if it has nothing to do with what Kolb can't do, then why wouldn't you reinsert him into the role he was supposed to have? If Vick was the better QB and QB of the future, he would have been starting from day 1. If Kolb showed an extended period of suckitude, then you bench him and give Vick a shot. But this isn't what happened.

Again, I agree with you about the line play and I agree that Vick did look better than the Vick of old. But i really can't stress enough that this was 1.5 games. I heard almost NO ONE clamoring that Vick learned alot under McNabb before the season began and how he was a changed player and all this.

I am very objective on this subject. I hate Philly sports and have no emotional attachment to Kolb. I simply don't understand this process.

First of all, I was never a big Kevin Kolb fan to begin with, so take that in to account. He was a 2nd round draft pick that most people said they "reached" for. Most people said he was a "system QB" in college, and these type of QB's haven't translated well to the NFL. I thought trading McNabb to a division rival and going with Kevin Kolb was a mistake to begin with. It's also very hard to know what you had in Michael Vick until he got a chance to play. He is a completely different situation unlike any other. He looked very "slow" last year, this year he looks completely different.

I agree, maybe I'm overreacting to a small sample size. BUT, I've watched a lot of football, and a lot of Michael Vick. The Michael Vick that played the 2nd half in Green Bay and the game last week against Detroit, is the best version of him I have ever seen, and is one of the 5 best Quarterbacks in the NFL right now. If he can be an accurate pocket passer and still have the ability to beat you with his legs, that is a Quarterback that is almost impossible to defend. He is just playing too well right now. Don't you have to give a player of this caliber a chance to see if he can consistently get it done? Kevin Kolb will never have the upside or ceiling of Michael Vick, because he will never have that type of athleticism. The offense has just looked bad all preseason and in the first half in Green Bay with Kevin Kolb under center. Now they would just be throwing him back in the fire behind a terrible offensive line. He would get killed.

This decision absolutely looks bad on Reid and the front office, and I agree that the "process" makes no sense. If it doesn't work, Andy Reid HAS to be on the hot seat. This decision definitely shocked me. Andy Reid is loyal to a fault, and very stubborn, that's why I don't think this was his decision. I think the front office and possibly even the players pushed for this decision. It may be a little shortsighted and too much "win now" for a team thats not built to win now. We will see. I definitely feel bad for Kevin Kolb. The guy really hasn't been given much of a chance, and now his confidence has to be shot. I think he can be a good NFL QB. The Eagles just lit the $12.5 million they paid him on fire. I can see why plenty of people will have a problem with this decision. My take is that I would hate to see Michael Vick detroying defenses next year on a different team because the Eagles were stubborn and didn't let one of the most dynamic QB's in NFL history prove that he is back and better than ever. I didn't think a 30 year old player could be away from the game for 3 years and regain the same speed and arm strength he always had. But it looks very much like that has happened in my opinion. Again, we will see... And to people who think this is some "ploy" to trick defenses or build up Vick's trade value, that's just crazy..

First of all, I was never a big Kevin Kolb fan to begin with, so take that in to account. He was a 2nd round draft pick that most people said they "reached" for. Most people said he was a "system QB" in college, and these type of QB's haven't translated well to the NFL. I thought trading McNabb to a division rival and going with Kevin Kolb was a mistake to begin with. It's also very hard to know what you had in Michael Vick until he got a chance to play. He is a completely different situation unlike any other. He looked very "slow" last year, this year he looks completely different.

I agree, maybe I'm overreacting to a small sample size. BUT, I've watched a lot of football, and a lot of Michael Vick. The Michael Vick that played the 2nd half in Green Bay and the game last week against Detroit, is the best version of him I have ever seen, and is one of the 5 best Quarterbacks in the NFL right now. If he can be an accurate pocket passer and still have the ability to beat you with his legs, that is a Quarterback that is almost impossible to defend. He is just playing too well right now. Don't you have to give a player of this caliber a chance to see if he can consistently get it done? Kevin Kolb will never have the upside or ceiling of Michael Vick, because he will never have that type of athleticism. The offense has just looked bad all preseason and in the first half in Green Bay with Kevin Kolb under center. Now they would just be throwing him back in the fire behind a terrible offensive line. He would get killed.

This decision absolutely looks bad on Reid and the front office, and I agree that the "process" makes no sense. If it doesn't work, Andy Reid HAS to be on the hot seat. This decision definitely shocked me. Andy Reid is loyal to a fault, and very stubborn, that's why I don't think this was his decision. I think the front office and possibly even the players pushed for this decision. It may be a little shortsighted and too much "win now" for a team thats not built to win now. We will see. I definitely feel bad for Kevin Kolb. The guy really hasn't been given much of a chance, and now his confidence has to be shot. I think he can be a good NFL QB. The Eagles just lit the $12.5 million they paid him on fire. I can see why plenty of people will have a problem with this decision. My take is that I would hate to see Michael Vick detroying defenses next year on a different team because the Eagles were stubborn and didn't let one of the most dynamic QB's in NFL history prove that he is back and better than ever. I didn't think a 30 year old player could be away from the game for 3 years and regain the same speed and arm strength he always had. But it looks very much like that has happened in my opinion. Again, we will see... And to people who think this is some "ploy" to trick defenses or build up Vick's trade value, that's just crazy..

Right. Having talked to you a few times, I know you are not or were not high on Kolb. My comments are only about the organization and not understanding what the hell they are doing.

Even if you think Vick gives you the best chance to win week 3, it just seems like insanity to deviate from the master plan after Kolb had 10 pass attempts. Especially this early in the season. Again, if Vick struggles this week or next, do you go back to Kolb? As a Jets fan I know that musical chairs at QB is not good for anyone.

It seems to me like the more well thought out plan would be to start Kolb. If he struggles over the span of maybe 2 games, then you reinsert Vick because Kolb had his chance. Right now you're basically giving Kolb no chance which looks rather stupid after trading away your most iconic player specifically to hand the team to Kolb.

I don't care about team management decisions or whats the "right thing" or how this looks for Reid or any of that stuff. All I know is, if I had to choose between an NFL where the Michael Vick of the last 6 quarters is riding the pine, or an NFL where he is starting, I want the latter. He's not the "best" QB in the league, nor will he ever be. But he is the most exciting. Watching him defy the laws of physics is like a drug you keep wanting more of. Pulling Houdini acts to get out of sacks, throwing across the body frozen ropes while on the run, turning the corner on linebackers like few RBs can, it is a thing of beauty. To top it off, as TMR keeps saying, Vick never had guys as good as Jackson, Maclin, and McCoy in Atlanta. The TV networks owe Reid some kickbacks, because Vick is going to pull some ratings this year.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

The News

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday morning, Eagles head coach Andy Reid confirmed that, barring injury, Michael Vick will be the team's starting quarterback for the rest of the season, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane.

Our View

Devastating news for Kevin Kolb owners, but likely the best course of action for a team that is always thinking Super Bowl or bust. Looking very much like the quarterback he was before going away to federal prison, Vick is worth a flier in all formats.

I think the front office and possibly even the players pushed for this decision.

I think it's all Reid. He's freakin' giddy with the prospect of a rejuvenated Vick starting for the entire season.

Our View

Devastating news for Kevin Kolb owners, but likely the best course of action for a team that is always thinking Super Bowl or bust. Looking very much like the quarterback he was before going away to federal prison, Vick is worth a flier in all formats.

Worth a flier???? I think that's an understatement.

Right. Having talked to you a few times, I know you are not or were not high on Kolb. My comments are only about the organization and not understanding what the hell they are doing.

Even if you think Vick gives you the best chance to win week 3, it just seems like insanity to deviate from the master plan after Kolb had 10 pass attempts. Especially this early in the season. Again, if Vick struggles this week or next, do you go back to Kolb? As a Jets fan I know that musical chairs at QB is not good for anyone.

It seems to me like the more well thought out plan would be to start Kolb. If he struggles over the span of maybe 2 games, then you reinsert Vick because Kolb had his chance. Right now you're basically giving Kolb no chance which looks rather stupid after trading away your most iconic player specifically to hand the team to Kolb.

Oh I agree, as an organization it looks terrible. I don't think they really know what they are doing. This was not Andy Reid's decision I don't think. Everything I've read has said Andy Reid wanted to go with Kevin Kolb, but Roseman, Lurie, and Banner talked him out of it. I've lost a lot of my faith in Andy Reid, but he is being thrown to the wolves on this one.

It looks terrible because they traded the best QB in franchise history to go with Kevin Kolb, and start the "rebuilding." Now they are going with Michael Vick to "win now." Why not just keeping Donovan McNabb? I think some of this has to do with the Week 4 matchup versus Donovan and the Redskins. They don't want to lose that game, with Kolb playing poorly and McNabb playing well. That wouldn't look too good. It shouldn't matter, but I think it does.

Ultimately I am OK with this because I like the end result of Michael Vick over Kevin Kolb. But the Eagles organization has egg on their face on this one. I highly doubt they go back to Kevin Kolb now. How could they? The kid can't have any trust in this organization. I wouldn't be suprised if he is traded before the deadline. Cleveland already has interest again because their GM Tom Heckert was involved in drafting Kolb and loves him. He could end up there.

I think it's all Reid. He's freakin' giddy with the prospect of a rejuvenated Vick starting for the entire season.

Everything I've heard has said Andy Reid wanted to go with Kevin Kolb, but the meetings the last two nights with Lurie, Banner, and Roseman changed his mind. This is why he has contradicted himself soo much. As an Eagles fan, and knowing Andy Reid over the last 12 years, he is loyal to a fault. He is also stubborn. This is why the decision was soo shocking. I never thought Reid would deviate from Kevin Kolb, but I think he was talked out of it. Some of this is obviously just my opinion though... I guess what I'm saying is if this was completely Andy Reid's decision, I would be completely shocked.

I hope this means that ownership either insisted that Reid start Vick or told him that failure to win this season would put his job in jeopardy. Reid has had carte blanche for way too long and despite going to the NFCCG two years ago (after barely making the playoffs at 9-7), the Eagles really haven't been championship-caliber since 2004. That's going on six full years now that Reid has been allowed to make virtually all of the football decisions without fielding a legitimate contender. What's worse is that since '04 the team has seemed to regress year after year. That's not good enough and it's time ownership lit a fire under Reid's fat ass.

So far as Kolb, he's getting jobbed. If this was a QB competition the coach should've announced it in the preseason. Instead he handed the job to Kolb, expressed all kinds of confidence in him, then took it away based on what? A bad half of football plus a great game by Vick against one of the worst defenses in the game? As a fan, this decisions wrecks any credibility Reid had and really makes me wonder how steady this plan of his supposedly is.

Please fire this guy. :cheers:

I hope this means that ownership either insisted that Reid start Vick or told him that failure to win this season would put his job in jeopardy. Reid has had carte blanche for way too long and despite going to the NFCCG two years ago (after barely making the playoffs at 9-7), the Eagles really haven't been championship-caliber since 2004. That's going on six full years now that Reid has been allowed to make virtually all of the football decisions without fielding a legitimate contender. What's worse is that since '04 the team has seemed to regress year after year. That's not good enough and it's time ownership lit a fire under Reid's fat ass.

So far as Kolb, he's getting jobbed. If this was a QB competition the coach should've announced it in the preseason. Instead he handed the job to Kolb, expressed all kinds of confidence in him, then took it away based on what? A bad half of football plus a great game by Vick against one of the worst defenses in the game? As a fan, this decisions wrecks any credibility Reid had and really makes me wonder how steady this plan of his supposedly is.

Please fire this guy. :cheers:

Can't say I disagree with anything you said. I've been saying Reid should be fired for a year or two now. My opinion on how good Michael Vick can be may be stronger than others, but that doesn't change the fact that this was handled very poorly. Kevin Kolb should be asking for a trade right now, because he can't possibly trust Andy Reid or this organization anymore.

My opinion on how good Michael Vick can be may be stronger than others, but that doesn't change the fact that this was handled very poorly. Kevin Kolb should be asking for a trade right now, because he can't possibly trust Andy Reid or this organization anymore.

i think we definately agree on that.

my feelings on the situation have much less to do with what vick is capable of and much more to do with how you deviate from your franchise plan after half a game.

i think we definately agree on that.

my feelings on the situation have much less to do with what vick is capable of and much more to do with how you deviate from your franchise plan after half a game.

I understand exactly where your coming from, and many people are coming from. It's a messed up situation, that wasn't handled well from the get go. Andy Reid is definitely on the hot seat if this doesn't work out, even if this wasn't ultimately his decision. The only reason I agree with the end result is that Michael Vick has played 6 quarters of football better than any QB in the NFL has over the first two weeks. I just can't see putting him back on the bench after that, without seeing if he is capable of playing like this on a consistent basis.

Everything I've heard has said Andy Reid wanted to go with Kevin Kolb, but the meetings the last two nights with Lurie, Banner, and Roseman changed his mind. This is why he has contradicted himself soo much. As an Eagles fan, and knowing Andy Reid over the last 12 years, he is loyal to a fault. He is also stubborn. This is why the decision was soo shocking. I never thought Reid would deviate from Kevin Kolb, but I think he was talked out of it. Some of this is obviously just my opinion though... I guess what I'm saying is if this was completely Andy Reid's decision, I would be completely shocked.

I don’t think this is such a good thing. Either let Andy do his thing or let him go. Eunuch coaches don’t work all that well. Jeff Laurie and Joe Banner are not football guys. They are great with the cap. Let’s leave it with that. If those guys told Andy who to start, it’s a problem. I like a lot what Reid has done. Yeah the guy is boring as paste; he overcomplicates stuff; he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to time management. But the Eagles have pretty damn successful with him there. I don’t want to go back to the 3-13 nonsense.