Sign in to follow this  
devius

Interesting Comparison of 2001 Patriots and 2010 Browns

thought this was pretty interesting and coincidental. but kind of encouraging for Cleveland Sports Fans.

Let's say the Browns win this one. Just throwing this out there …

2001 Pats after Week 10: 5-5

2010 Browns after Week 10: 4-5

2001 Pats coach: Bill Belichick (second job, defensive guru)

2010 Browns coach: Eric Mangini (second job, defensive guru)

2001 Pats QB: Tom Brady (first career start: Week 3)

2010 Browns QB: Colt McCoy (first career start: Week 6)

2001 Pats DVOA rating: 16th overall

2010 Browns DVOA rating (through Week 9): 14th overall

2001 Pats fans: severely, hopelessly tortured

2010 Browns fans: severely, hopelessly tortured

(Fine, fine -- it's a total reach. You're right. But McCoy really impressed me in that Pats game. Confident, mobile, fast, spunky … I think he could make a good transition girlfriend for the Cleveland fans as they continue to lick their post-Decision wounds. You don't want to marry Colt McCoy, but you can date him for a couple of years, cry into his arms and know that he'll never leave you. You're right, this is getting weird.)

Not really. Mangini is no Belichick (though I will admit he had a great game plan for the Pats game). And while McCoy is a first-year starter like Brady was, Brady was NOT a rookie. That makes a big difference because Brady had plenty of time to learn the game before being thrown out to the wolves.

Not really. Mangini is no Belichick (though I will admit he had a great game plan for the Pats game). And while McCoy is a first-year starter like Brady was, Brady was NOT a rookie. That makes a big difference because Brady had plenty of time to learn the game before being thrown out to the wolves.

I hate this argument. Bellichick hasn't done squat since he got caught with his hand in the cheating cookie jar. And Bill wasn't a genius coach when he was in Cleveland, he was a dumbass that got whipped all the time. The biggest difference is that Brady got to learn behind a still pretty good Drew Bledsoe and walked into a very veteran team...Colt has no such role model and has a lot of youth around him.

I hate this argument. Bellichick hasn't done squat since he got caught with his hand in the cheating cookie jar.

you don't have to like BB, but failing to realize that he is, hands down, the best coach in the NFL and a HOF lock, is foolish.

AS for being on-topic... I picked CLE to beat the Jets this weekend. They are a tough, smart team.

I am convinced that the "sexy", high-powered offense, long ball teams, just don't win in this league... not consistently anyways.

The teams that are smart win; the teams that play tough; play smart defense; manage the clock and field position... those are the teams that win. The teams that don't beat themselves and take advantage of opponent's mistakes win in this league. IMO, the Browns are quickly becoming one of these type teams.

you don't have to like BB, but failing to realize that he is, hands down, the best coach in the NFL and a HOF lock, is foolish.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what you are laughing at. Being the best coach in the nfl is somewhat debatable, but he has to be in top 3. And yes, he is a HOF lock.

Not sure what you are laughing at. Being the best coach in the nfl is somewhat debatable, but he has to be in top 3. And yes, he is a HOF lock.

He might be a HOF lock but there will be a large "*" right next to it. But I give him credit for taking over and helping an organization become relevant again in this decade. Many coaches have had that opportunity with many teams and many players and have failed. I'd like to see if he can do the same with another team with less talent like Mangini has with two teams now. I feel like Bellichick was handed a good team on a silver platter.

If Mangini can get the Browns to the Superbowl :blink: :wacko: :lol: , then we'll have a debate. But one game says nothing.

Anyone who says he is HANDS DOWN the best in the NFL and you're foolish if you dont think so deserves to be laughed at. :wave:

looking good against the Jets so far.... are the Browns for real? is McCoy? yea I know... still too soon.