Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Now that Gore is on IR for the season...

34 members have voted

1. 1. Can Brian Westbrook stay healthy?

• Yes - he will stay healthy the final 5 games
    • No - he will be knocked out again

Westy has a chance to put up valuable numbers late in the season. The real question is...can he stay healthy without an injury? Will he last? Or will he end up on the injury report...again?

Well, as a Gore owner I'm hoping yes. Injuries completely dominated my team this season and Gore may be the final nail in the coffin for my currently #2 ranked team. Replacing the #5 RB in PPR leagues isn't exactly easy. For the record, I also had Dallas Clark (#2 ranked when he went down), Ryan Grant (easily a top 15 RB), and Mark Clayton (probably a top 20 PPR receiver if he didn't go down). OUCH! I still have a better than average team, but that doesn't win you a championship. Hopefully I can luck into 2nd place.

Honestly, my concern is that Westbrook won't even get that many carries. They had already been using Anthony Dixon a good bit, and I would expect a pretty substantial timeshare here.

Honestly, my concern is that Westbrook won't even get that many carries. They had already been using Anthony Dixon a good bit, and I would expect a pretty substantial timeshare here.

What makes you say they had been using Dixon a good bit? Up until the game against Zona, Dixon had 10 touches (all runs), Wesbrook had 10 touches (5 runs, 5 receptions).

Seems pretty equal to me, but when the opportunity came to play without Gore, Westbrook had 23 touches (all runs) to Dixon's 15 (14 runs).

The simple fact is, when Gore is healthy he is a hog on touches, neither back got much before that so its pretty difficult to judge on 10 touches through 10 games.

I think Westbrook will be more used on passing downs and Dixon on short and GL. They will share carries. Thats why i let westy go and picked up some specualtive WR's like Jacoby Ford and Alexander and grabbed Dixon later instead of Westy. Got to remmember westbrooks age and he has the bone on bone issue with his knee . Its risky but since its 5 games westbrook could be a great pickup but I still think Dixon (in fantasy) will get more points. the team already stated that its a timeshare and Westbrook will not get that many carries again. Still say Westy is the #1 WW pickup this week but Dixon could be the longer term value.

Singletary said it is probably asking too much of Westbrook to carry the ball 23 times on a regular basis, as he did while rushing for 136 yards on Monday against the Arizona Cardinals.

"Because of the past history with Brian, some of the injuries, it's smart for us to be careful about how we use him, how often we use him," Singletary said.

westy gets hurt at Green Bay and Dixon is a playoff stud :dunno:

Gore totally screwed me...

I think Westbrook will be used alot. He'll be the guy that gets the 49ers the 4th seed in the NFC. He's healthy, put up good stats last week, motivated for the opportunity, and too multifaceted for the Green Bay defense to contain.

I expect Westbrook to rush for 60 yards, receive 60 yards, and get 2 touchdowns. :pointstosky:

And here ya go.

Brian Westbrook was held out of 49ers practice with an ankle injury Wednesday.It wouldn't make sense for the Niners to push their brittle 31-year-old running back on a short week, but this is also a reminder that Westbrook is a poor bet to hold up in the final five games,

Westbrook already injured

Brian Westbrook, RB SF

News: 49ers RB Brian Westbrook did not practice Wednesday because of an ankle injury

Analysis: It didn't take long for Westbrook to go from a 100-yard game to being injured. The 49ers talked about being cautious with the oft-injured veteran. Perhaps this is just a rest day for Westbrook, but if the injury lingers, then he could be in trouble.

Now there is news out Westy was held out of practice today with ankle injury.

The News

Westbrook sat out 49ers practice on Wednesday due to an ankle injury, according to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Our View

This week's top fantasy pickup should play against Green Bay on Sunday, but how healthy the veteran is and how many carries he will lose to Anthony Dixon both remain to be seen.

Source: Fanball and RotoW has something similar

As a Gore owner and an SF homer this hole situation sucks donkey nuts.

But I did snag Dixon :doublethumbsup:

:ninja: