Sign in to follow this  
browns16-0

Sam Bradford Yesterday

Not sure if anyone else saw this yesterday during the Saints blowout win over the Rams. Steven Jackson fumbles at the 1 yard line and Saints safety Roman Harper picks up the ball and races for the end zone. Sam Bradford is literally 10-15 yards behind him and races and outruns Harper to push him out of bounds around the 15 yard line saving another Saints touchdown. There were about 6 minutes left in the game and the score was 33-6 or something like that! The play was challenged and over ruled that the runner was down so the play didn't officially count, but it was an awesome individual effort of determination and not giving up. I've been sick of watching Peyton Manning throw pick sixes these last couple weeks, and he doesn't even move a muscle to attempt to stop the score. He could learn something watching this rookie.

Not sure if anyone else saw this yesterday during the Saints blowout win over the Rams. Steven Jackson fumbles at the 1 yard line and Saints safety Roman Harper picks up the ball and races for the end zone. Sam Bradford is literally 10-15 yards behind him and races and outruns Harper to push him out of bounds around the 15 yard line saving another Saints touchdown. There were about 6 minutes left in the game and the score was 33-6 or something like that! The play was challenged and over ruled that the runner was down so the play didn't officially count, but it was an awesome individual effort of determination and not giving up. I've been sick of watching Peyton Manning throw pick sixes these last couple weeks, and he doesn't even move a muscle to attempt to stop the score. He could learn something watching this rookie.

I saw that play, and absolutely loved the hustle...And I completely understand people knocking Manning for not going 100% (he usually at least tries - he actually almost ran down an INT in the PRESEASON this year, with 2-3 blockers right around him, against the Packers), but he clearly doesn't try hard at all.

But the weird thing is (and I hate seeing athletes not go 100%) - I am absolutely in Manning's corner here. And I would completely understand if Brady/BigBen/Rivers/etc. did the same. I know it's a d!ck move to the teammates, but there's a few reasons I don't mind it...

Peyton Manning ain't out-running anyone. He's not all that fleet of foot, had knee surgery last year, and wears a heavy brace that probably restricts full speed running anyway. Second - if he hurts himself trying to save a TD on an INT, the Colts are focked. Absolutely focked. I hate to say it, but this team is literally nothing without Manning. If Manning didn't play a snap this season, the Colts would be either 1-12 or 2-11. I don't know if I can say the same for the Steelers (Big Ben), Patriots (Brady), Chargers (Rivers) - but that's more a testament to the teammates around those QB's, not a knock on them.

Again - I completely understand your point, but in a weird, contradictory fashion, I actually don't mind that :unsure:

I saw that play, and absolutely loved the hustle...And I completely understand people knocking Manning for not going 100% (he usually at least tries - he actually almost ran down an INT in the PRESEASON this year, with 2-3 blockers right around him, against the Packers), but he clearly doesn't try hard at all.

But the weird thing is (and I hate seeing athletes not go 100%) - I am absolutely in Manning's corner here. And I would completely understand if Brady/BigBen/Rivers/etc. did the same. I know it's a d!ck move to the teammates, but there's a few reasons I don't mind it...

Peyton Manning ain't out-running anyone. He's not all that fleet of foot, had knee surgery last year, and wears a heavy brace that probably restricts full speed running anyway. Second - if he hurts himself trying to save a TD on an INT, the Colts are focked. Absolutely focked. I hate to say it, but this team is literally nothing without Manning. If Manning didn't play a snap this season, the Colts would be either 1-12 or 2-11. I don't know if I can say the same for the Steelers (Big Ben), Patriots (Brady), Chargers (Rivers) - but that's more a testament to the teammates around those QB's, not a knock on them.

Again - I completely understand your point, but in a weird, contradictory fashion, I actually don't mind that :unsure:

Agreed....and the funny thing in the case of Manning is that if he did get hurt running down a defender, he would be crusified in the media for it along with his coach. I absolutely loved the hustle by Bradford. But a rookie player still searching to make a name for himself in this league can get away with such things.

To add to this, I have no doubt in my mind that QBs such as Manning are, in fact, instructed to get out of the way on plays like this so as to prevent a nice big takeout block on them by the returning team.

manning wont run like that, because manning cant run like that. Simple.

Now what is TO's excuse?

I think the bigger issue is that Bradford never really caught him. He just sort of ran out of gas and gimped his way out of bounds.