Sign in to follow this  
TAS

Guitar

I was given a guitar on my 40th and am struggling to teach myself. Any tips/websites/drills to get me going?

TIA! :music_guitarred:

I was given a guitar on my 40th and am struggling to teach myself. Any tips/websites/drills to get me going?

This site is pretty cool for tablature and basic chords. http://www.guitaretab.com/

Learn how to play rhythm first. You can learn scales later. Get your basic chords down. I recomend that you learn how to switch from basic chords to bar chords first. If you have a lot of trouble with bar chords it can be a real pain in the a$$. Once you get those figured out, then start working on blues scales. Good luck.

This site is pretty cool for tablature and basic chords. http://www.guitaretab.com/

Learn how to play rhythm first. You can learn scales later. Get your basic chords down. I recomend that you learn how to switch from basic chords to bar chords first. If you have a lot of trouble with bar chords it can be a real pain in the a$$. Once you get those figured out, then start working on blues scales. Good luck.

To this point I have Em, Am, G, and D in my repetoire. Thanks for the link!

To this point I have Em, Am, G, and D in my repetoire. Thanks for the link!

Exactly.

And while learning remember.......the pick hand is the Michael Jordan....and who gives a f@ck what the other guys are doing.

Learn to strum the basics, pick a little...but just play and dont worry what it sounds like. You'll get it.

Heck i think they even have guitar for dummys thats pretty good.

Exactly.

And while learning remember.......the pick hand is the Michael Jordan....and who gives a f@ck what the other guys are doing.

Learn to strum the basics, pick a little...but just play and dont worry what it sounds like. You'll get it.

Heck i think they even have guitar for dummys thats pretty good.

Gotcha.

The title of that book is exactly what I am going through.

Gotcha.

The title of that book is exactly what I am going through.

The A, C, D, E, Em, F, Dm are all pretty easy......i struggled and still struggle with Bar chords where you lay your index finger over all the strings......just cant seem to flatten my finger like that.

Good luck man....its a good hobby and pretty relaxing, and sure fun once you learn a song.

There are sites with songs put to the chord you are to play, not the notes like on a music sheet. that really helped me at first to learn timing and bc i cant read music sheets. Just a tip.

The A, C, D, E, Em, F, Dm are all pretty easy......i struggled and still struggle with Bar chords where you lay your index finger over all the strings......just cant seem to flatten my finger like that.

Good luck man....its a good hobby and pretty relaxing, and sure fun once you learn a song.

There are sites with songs put to the chord you are to play, not the notes like on a music sheet. that really helped me at first to learn timing and bc i cant read music sheets. Just a tip.

I'm looking to play country music and from what I gather to this point, it is not looking too hard. I am not looking to tour or cut an album, just a hobby. Lovin' it so far.

I'm looking to play country music and from what I gather to this point, it is not looking too hard. I am not looking to tour or cut an album, just a hobby. Lovin' it so far.

yep....www.countrytabs.com

Thats a good one that you can play the chords if you cant read music

yep....www.countrytabs.com

Thats a good one that you can play the chords if you cant read music

Roger that! Thanks bro! :music_guitarred:

Nice choice for a guitar. Taks usualy have a good tone are are set up with a good action.

Practice- try to follow the chord charts and then just make music. Start stringing chords together and create your own progressions.

Most of all have fun. Practice and you will find it gets easier.

Find a friend who plays and sit down with them once a week for an hour or so and get them to teach you a little at a time.

:music_guitarred:

Just like in Kung Fu Panda, the secret is there is not secret. Just practice at least 4 days a week and buy the Fretboard Roadmap. It tells you what you need to know without complication.

Fretboard Roadmap

Old School and BR, thanks for the tips! Keep you posted on the progress.:music_guitarred: