Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

How would you expand a 10 team keeper to 12

Commish want to expand to 12 teams. We keep 6 players so you basicly keep your core intact year to year. His plan is to franchise 2 players and the new teams each draft 2 players from the current rosters and repeat this process 2 more times. Once a origional team has lost 2 players they are taken out of the draft pool to keep their team from being picked clean, but still has to franchise their keepers each round.

The commish want to go either 2, 2, and 2 as described above or 3, 2, and 1. Where we franchise 3, then 2, and 1.

any comments or opinion

A few years ago 3 owners in my keeper league were pushing for expansion but we found there was no easy way to do it.

The main complaints from the nay sayers were:

Messing with the draft order - it's determined by the previous year's standings so where to insert the new guys?

Losing keeper players to other teams - nobody liked that

Less talent on the waiver wire

The only reason to expand from the yay sayers was "Most leagues have at least 12 teams and my buddy wants in."

The nays outweighed the yays so I scrapped the idea. If you like it the way it is, why change it?

If there's near unanimous support for expanding to 12, then I would focus on appeasing the concerns of the people who are most opposed. If there isn't near unanimous support then you shouldn't be expanding to 12. It's that simple.

Keep 4 instead of 6 next year and the newbies get their expansion draft. They get 4 selections so, at draft time, everyone has 4 people.

Next year's draft the newbies go 1 and 2 .... #1 pick in expansion is #2 pick in next year's draft

Keep 4 instead of 6 next year and the newbies get their expansion draft. They get 4 selections so, at draft time, everyone has 4 people.

Next year's draft the newbies go 1 and 2 .... #1 pick in expansion is #2 pick in next year's draft

You've never been the commish of a league I've ever commished. This would result in a mutiny, at best.

I would look to the NFL for a solution here.

What have they done in the past, and other leagues, have enabled the new teams to grab from the existing teams.

You have 10 teams, and you have protected 6 on each team.

This season have the 10 teams protect 7 players. Each can designate a Franchise guy that cannot be touched.

The two new teams will take turns taking 1 player from each of the 10 teams and then selecting one more that isn't on a roster. all teams now will have 6 players.

Now question is how do you handle the draft. I don't know what you do to assign the spaces. Is it the worst that go first?

Perhaps it is simply doing this. those that did not make the playoffs go into a lottery. to reseed those spots.

Or you could place the new guys between those that made the playoffs and those that did not.

is the expansion unanimous? if so, then the keep 4 isnt a bad idea, 2 team expansion draft (rookies NOT included) and give the new guys 1,2 of the draft. You could even keep 6 and make them choose from the leftovers but that seems harsh. With that many keepers the draft starts with rookies right? those guys have to know they are coming in at a disadvantage but not no chance.